SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

馃帠USA Veteran Premium Member
I have had the .45 for about 6 months and really like it. I retired my 220 because of it. I use it for my in house, go bag, and carry depending on where I am going. It is definitely heavier for everyday carry than my usual 239. I find it better shooting that most of my sigs and close to the 220. I carry outside the wasteband and it is comfortable. I don't carry anything inside so I can't help you there. I don't have any of the extended mags because I don't use them. Only down side I have found is the availability of spare mags.

Reactions: winterwar

Registered
I recently bought a P227 in the "Carry" model. I have not put it in my rotation for regular carry yet but plan to now that I've got the round count over 500 with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

When I have been out at my land I've carried it in a Stealthgear IWB holster and found that it will work fine as a CC pistol.

The carry model is slightly shorter and a little bit lighter than the full size 227 so I can't speak for the full size model.

I'm not sure this will help you but I hope it does.

Registered
The P227 is the only gun I regret selling, and I've sold a few. I've got a P226 MK25 and an M1a1 in the safe but they are a tad too thick and heavy for me to carry in the Texas heat in a t-shirt. My next Sig will be a single stack P220 or P225-A1.

Registered
Well I'm gonna go against the grain here and say no.

I have had my p227 since early 2015. I have shot thousands of rounds and in that time I have had several issues of jamming with certain type of ammo. The 14 round magazines are 100% unreliable. ( I had four, they were all bad. )

I love the 45 caliber. I have two 45 Automatics and three 45 caliber revolvers but I will not trust my p227 anymore for life and death.

It's a great gun don't get me wrong, but not for severe duty IMO.

I'd go with the p226 in 40/357 SIG for a powerful and reliable handgun for woods and personal defense double duty. That's what I carry and it's been 110% for me for thousands of rounds in both 40 S&W-180 and 357 SIG-125

Premium Member
I think I've had two of those, but sold in favor of my HK45 for a 10 round 45ACP. It's terrific, just like all the P Series Sigs...just a great 45. You'll have to decide if you have the frame to Carry one...I think it's a bit on the large size for me.

Registered
Just got one and it's going to be a range gun, it's big and heavy. I'm at the point where I can't carry any pistol anymore due to hip pain, the 227 would kill me. Really enjoy shooting it, great pistol.

Mine's a Enhanced Elite and the trigger is SRT and excellent, on par with my other Sigs.

Get a good belt and holster....would be great for your purposes if you can handle the weight.

Registered
Great 45 carry pistol. I have the SAS. Have not carried it yet but I do have a pretty comfortable IWB holster for it. Shouldn't be too much more difficult than M11-A1.

Registered
SIG P227 SAS is a fav winter carry here. Her 10rd mags are totally reliable, and one of my best shooters. With heavier cover apparel, it's an easy conceal, but she's sort'a heavy if you're on your feet all day.

To cut some ozs, I've picked up several boxes of Lehigh's Xtreme defender cartridges to see how well they run in my carry weapons. These rounds have been around several years now, with impressive barrier penetration and big tissue damage, but without over penetration. These rds are almost half the weight of our 45 JHPs too.

Gun Starting pistol Gun accessory Handgun holster Trigger

Cheers

Registered
I have a P227 SAS in jail (10-day wait in California before I can take possession). But no way would I carry that fat, heavy S.O.B. for daily (all day) carry. I want a P290RS for carry.
My soon-to-be current carry (pending my CCW license) will be one of the three I can list on my license: Springer XDs 45 3.3", M&P Shield, or SIG P238. ALL SINGLE STACK! And small! For walking the property, I carry a S&W 357 (model 28 Highway Patrolman six shot). I have 357 queued, but I have CCI buckshot cartridges in the other half for the Pacific rattlesnakes that get too close to the house.

Registered
have carried hk45c for 3or4 years. seen this 227 and thought what the heck and bought one. like the 2 extra rounds. few ozs. heavier and grip is slightly larger but basically same size. I like the hk better but sig 2 rounds more, well? must have sturdy belt, mine has metal strip in it makes all the difference in the world. Iwb holster. Worn it so long feel naked without it. Coming from an old man that has shot for just about 60 years. But retired now and dont want to know nothing. LOL

Registered
Another thing to consider to reduce weight if you're carrying it is using the Polycase Inceptor ARX (now Ruger brand) copper polymer ammo. The bullets are only 130 grain instead of 180 or 230. That can reduce the weight a bit - it adds up, but doesn't help the size though. The bullets use grooves cut into them generating a venturi effect to create larger wound cavities while still penetrating layers of clothing well. Haven't done any studies, of course, but they certainly blow up 1 gal. jugs of water more then regular projectiles!

Registered
My 227 is my main carry. I've had mine about 2 years with about 1200 rounds through it. The only feed problem I experienced was with the 14 rd mags - they just don't work. It is a bit on the heavy side, so occasionally I go lighter.

It's a great gun, it's a great carry.

Registered
Love mine

Mine is in my rotation, and I usually carry it all winter long when bulkier clothes cover bulkier gun, never had an issue with any of mine (I have 3)

Registered
I carry my 227SAS all the time. OWB. It works reliably and I have no difficulty with it's big butt.

But then I am not wearing skinny jeans like some of you youngsters!

Those of you having difficulties with 14 round magazines send them to me,(just kidding!) mine work just fine now that I changed out the springs for Wolff para springs. The problem with the 14 rounders lies in the springs Sig supplied them with.

Also I just installed a Greyguns flat trigger blade that is a total improvement in the way the gun shoots. That girlyman trigger Sig supplies is just ****.

If you do not like the big butt on the 227 Sig makes the P220 in an SAS model also.

Premium Member
have carried hk45c for 3or4 years. seen this 227 and thought what the heck and bought one. like the 2 extra rounds. few ozs. heavier and grip is slightly larger but basically same size. I like the hk better but sig 2 rounds more, well? must have sturdy belt, mine has metal strip in it makes all the difference in the world. Iwb holster. Worn it so long feel naked without it. Coming from an old man that has shot for just about 60 years. But retired now and dont want to know nothing. LOL
You could have bought an HK45 and got the 2 extra rounds...although you can also get 14 round mags with the 227. My 45 is an HK45, but I think I'd like to get a 227 again one day.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.