SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm looking for some insight here: I'm in the market for my second handgun. I currently own a Glock 19 which I got as my first firearm about 1.5 years ago (I also have a shotgun, as well as an AR-15 I just built). I want a quality DA/SA so I started looking at Sigs and after firing one (a P226 Nitron) the other day, I'm in love. I plan on purchasing one in the near future once I decide how to pay for it (i.e. sell the G19 and use the proceeds-although many have advised against this and say just to keep it- or just spend the bulk of my tax refund on it). If I do indeed sell the Glock, I still think it's important to have a 9mm and it just so happens that I can get a M&P shield for $230 after rebate.

The main use will be range toy (and maybe HD, but I think I'll stick to the shotgun for that). I think I'd like to get a .45 ACP, although this still may be negotiable. I began looking at the P227 because it holds 10 rounds and feels similar to the P226 I shot. However, P220 may have felt slightly better due to thinness, but I'm hesitant over the 8 round capacity.

Since it'll be mainly for range fun, I've basically settled on the ASE series since they're beautiful and lighter/more affordable than full stainless (I can't drop $1,200+ right now and I'm not sure I should jump from a polymer Glock to a full stainless .45). They also come with a number of feature I like such as SRT, SIGLITE, walnut grips, etc. This seemingly rules out the P220 since I haven't found it in ASE.

I'd like to know what you think of this situation, any suggestions, tips, etc.

Should I sell the Glock and just get the P226/P229 ASE (in order to still have a 9mm) and forget the shield and the P227 and be left with just 1 pistol?

Should I sell the Glock, buy the shield and buy the P227 ASE?

Keep the Glock and just buy the P227 ASE? (And maybe still buy the shield before 6/30 when the rebate is up-it's too cheap at $230 to turn down!!)

I also need to mention: My state may reduce our mag capacity to 10 depending on the political climate in the next year or 2.

One last question, somewhat unrelated: It seems from numerous searches here and Bud's and others that the P229 ASE holds 15 rounds, But here it says 13. If this is the case, how in the world does it differ from the P226 ASE? This has really confused me!...

I apologize for the long post, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible and really lay out what I've been considering over the last few days. Obviously I have put a lot of thought into this... Thanks!

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Just my opinion, but.... sell the Glock, get the P226 ASE and the discounted Shield. Forget the P227 for now. When you've saved up for your next purchase, your first 45 acp should be a SIG 1911 (or comparable quality). If you fall in love with the 45 acp round, then you can think about the P227 (and by then, someone will have figured out how to fix the 14 round magazine). I never sold my guns, but my progression was.... Glock 19, Glock 22, SIG P226, S&W 686, Shield, Colt 1911, SIG Ultra 1911, SIG P220, S&W J-frame. I never made it to the P227, instead decided go the route of FN FNX tactical with 15 rounds of 45acp and a red dot.

The second link must be a type-o. SIG p229 9mm are 15 rounds, 40S&W are 12 rounds. Must have gotten them switched.

Good luck! And welcome to SIG Talk!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Just my opinion, but.... sell the Glock, get the P226 ASE and the discounted Shield. Forget the P227 for now. When you've saved up for your next purchase, your first 45 acp should be a SIG 1911 (or comparable quality). If you fall in love with the 45 acp round, then you can think about the P227 (and by then, someone will have figured out how to fix the 14 round magazine). I never sold my guns, but my progression was.... Glock 19, Glock 22, SIG P226, S&W 686, Shield, Colt 1911, SIG Ultra 1911, SIG P220, S&W J-frame. I never made it to the P227, instead decided go the route of FN FNX tactical with 15 rounds of 45acp and a red dot.

The second link must be a type-o. SIG p229 9mm are 15 rounds, 40S&W are 12 rounds. Must have gotten them switched.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be honest, at first I was pretty OK with selling the G19, but after so much discouragement, I've really been rethinking it. And I've heard from virtually everyone that the .45 has marginally more recoil than 9mm, why would you suggest waiting? Also I don't foresee myself ever getting a 1911... the SAO plus overall platform just isn't my thing, at least not now.

If the p229 ASE holds 15, how many does the P226 ASE hold? Isn't it also 15? If so, whats the diff?

PS: I held the FNX 45- just too big for my hands lol. What a beast.

Reactions: bearone2

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I'll be honest, at first I was pretty OK with selling the G19, but after so much discouragement, I've really been rethinking it. And I've heard from virtually everyone that the .45 has marginally more recoil than 9mm, why would you suggest waiting? Also I don't foresee myself ever getting a 1911... the SAO plus overall platform just isn't my thing, at least not now.

If the p229 ASE holds 15, how many does the P226 ASE hold? Isn't it also 15? If so, whats the diff?

PS: I held the FNX 45- just too big for my hands lol. What a beast.
Well, for one thing, you mentioned cost is a factor for you and 45 acp is much more expensive than 9mm. At Walmart, WWB is 36c/round vs 24c/round - that adds up. The ballistic difference between a 9mm +p hp vs 45 acp hp doesn't make up for the loss in capacity... unless your willing to hold the "beast" FNX in your hand :) If cost is an issue, better to stick to 9mm, and get as much practice downrange as you can afford.

I can appreciate not wanting a SAO for defense or EDC purposes. But as your experience increases, I believe mastering different platforms can improve your overall skills. For example, I think the best introduction to the 45acp, is a full size government 1911. The heavy weight of the gun will soak up the recoil and the light SAO trigger will show you just how much more accurate you are capable of shooting over a DA/SA gun. That experience will improve your marksmanship when you go back to the DA/SA gun. Same thing for the heavy DA revolver trigger. When you can shoot a revolver accurately in DA, the DA trigger in a DA/SA becomes no problem. On top of which, what if you don't have a choice? Let's say you're unarmed, and someone hands you a 1911 or revolver. Don't you want to be competent with one in an emergency?

Of course, this is just my opinion. Take with a grain of salt.

The P229 is 0.1 inch shorter than the P226. I didn't realize the SIG OEM magazines for the P226 also are 15 rounds 9mm/ 12 rounds 40 S&W. They hold the same number of rounds, but they are different magazines. And even though the magazines that come with the pistol hold 15 rounds, you can get Mec-Gar P226 flush magazines that hold 18 rounds 9mm and 13 rounds 40 S&W.

On top of that, P226 magazines will fit and work fine in a P229, but they will just stick out 0.1 inches. This bugs a lot of people, but I just use the same 20 rounds 9mm / 15 rounds 40 S&W magazines (which jut out the bottom) for both my P226s and P229s, which is why I didn't realize only 15 rounds came in the current P226 model.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, for one thing, you mentioned cost is a factor for you and 45 acp is much more expensive than 9mm. At Walmart, WWB is 36c/round vs 24c/round - that adds up. The ballistic difference between a 9mm +p hp vs 45 acp hp doesn't make up for the loss in capacity... unless your willing to hold the "beast" FNX in your hand :) If cost is an issue, better to stick to 9mm, and get as much practice downrange as you can afford.

I can appreciate not wanting a SAO for defense or EDC purposes. But as your experience increases, I believe mastering different platforms can improve your overall skills. For example, I think the best introduction to the 45acp, is a full size government 1911. The heavy weight of the gun will soak up the recoil and the light SAO trigger will show you just how much more accurate you are capable of shooting over a DA/SA gun. That experience will improve your marksmanship when you go back to the DA/SA gun. Same thing for the heavy DA revolver trigger. When you can shoot a revolver accurately in DA, the DA trigger in a DA/SA becomes no problem. On top of which, what if you don't have a choice? Let's say you're unarmed, and someone hands you a 1911 or revolver. Don't you want to be competent with one in an emergency?

Of course, this is just my opinion. Take with a grain of salt.

The P229 is 0.1 inch shorter than the P226. I didn't realize the SIG OEM magazines for the P226 also are 15 rounds 9mm/ 12 rounds 40 S&W. They hold the same number of rounds, but they are different magazines. And even though the magazines that come with the pistol hold 15 rounds, you can get Mec-Gar P226 flush magazines that hold 18 rounds 9mm and 13 rounds 40 S&W.

On top of that, P226 magazines will fit and work fine in a P229, but they will just stick out 0.1 inches. This bugs a lot of people, but I just use the same 20 rounds 9mm / 15 rounds 40 S&W magazines (which jut out the bottom) for both my P226s and P229s, which is why I didn't realize only 15 rounds came in the current P226 model.
Wow, you raise fantastic points about .45, and I may seriously reconsider it. I may just not yet be ready for it quite yet. Honestly, one factor is that I may be moving to NY for work/family within a year or so, and theres a 10 round limit there plus CCW is virtually nonexistent around the NYC counties, leading me to the P227...

So if my max allowed capacity is 15 rounds (maybe 10 soon unfortunately), would you suggest the 226 or 229? Other than barrel length, what else is there to consider? Any diff in grip width?

Either way, I think I'll refocus on the 226/229 ASE. I'll wait to see what others may say, but youv'e been helpful. Thanks

Reactions: asdfzxcv

·
Registered
188 Posts
Do you have any local shops that sell Sigs? That way you can have a starting reference point.

If it were me...the Shield rebate is limited by time. So grab that first. Keep doing research on 226 vs 227 vs 229. Then you will be more informed on what you should do.

Glocks always sell themselves, and they can always be found. The ASE will have more personality and be more unique.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
The P229 is 0.1 inch shorter than the P226.

You probably meant to say 1.1", which is the case when comparing a "regular" P229 with a P226 Elite. The barrel length accounts for a half inch, the the Elite's beaver tail adds some also.

In the real world, the P229 is an easier conceal than the P226, though I never carry my P226 SSE.

Unless you don't like a gun for some reason, IMO, it's rare that ever selling one is a good idea, especially at a loss (exceptions might be to family or friend or at a profit). I've always been sorry after selling a nice gun, sometimes years later. If you like it, keep it and save for your next purchase.

Unless it's a Glock, then just sell the darn plastic thing and get a nice SIG!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Just my opinion, but.... sell the Glock, get the P226 ASE and the discounted Shield. Forget the P227 for now. When you've saved up for your next purchase, your first 45 acp should be a SIG 1911 (or comparable quality). If you fall in love with the 45 acp round, then you can think about the P227 (and by then, someone will have figured out how to fix the 14 round magazine).

X2 on the welcome! :thumbsu:

Won't argue about making the transition from a 1911 variant to a P227 but there is a fix of sorts for the 14 round magazines---here's a link I posted that consolidates those: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/107642-p220-vs-fnx-45-a.html, look at post #11.

Hopefully by now Sig has corrected this issue but so far no one has posted any reviews of a brand new P227.

HTH

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have any local shops that sell Sigs? That way you can have a starting reference point.

If it were me...the Shield rebate is limited by time. So grab that first. Keep doing research on 226 vs 227 vs 229. Then you will be more informed on what you should do.

Glocks always sell themselves, and they can always be found. The ASE will have more personality and be more unique.
Ya, the more I research, the more I think I'm leaning toward the 226 ASE, since I think I now wanna stay in 9mm (I'm not sure I'm ready for .45) and CCW is not an option where I live so I dont mind the full size. In fact I sort of prefer it and already fired a 226 and like it. Plus I already have the G19 which is a midsize 9mm.

If I end up keeping the Glock, I think I'll just forget about the shield no matter how cheap it is.

And it's a good point about resale value of glock- I'll always be able to sell it. So I think what I may very well do at this point is keep the G19 and get the 226 ASE and forget about the shield.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
If you happen to be in CA, and would consider a 40 (my favorite in the P229), this looks to be a 90's (the good years), probably ex-LEO from the photos and looking nice. Located in Torrance, CA. I have one just like it, excellent gun. For quality vs price, especially if they can be had for below $600, tough to beat. Easy to swap calibers to .357 and can be swapped to 9 as well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/639715745

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would definitely not sell the Glock; those things, if maintained, are virtually indestructible, and 9mm is cheap, especially if bought by the case (on line). Of course if you buy that much ammo and something, even temporary, happens to one pistol, it's good to have another in the same caliber, so a p226 or p229 in 9mm would be good.
With 45ACP, the cost per round is about 50% higher, but it all depends on how many rounds you tend to go through per week/month/year. If the round count is low the ammo cost is not usually that important, and again, on-line buying a case reduces cost a lot.
Also don't let anyone fool you about recoil. The impulse may be different because one is a big projectile accelerating slowly and the other is a small one accelerating much faster, but recoil is really all about momentum (conservation of momentum), and in that respect, the 45 has far more momentum than a 9mm +P, or even +P+. Guns can be shaped to minimize the perception of recoil through weight and further slowing down that momentum using springs. Put the 45acp in the same frame and slide weight as a 9mm, and it will feel much harsher, if the frame even survives.
Of the various 45ACP pistols I have tried, the p227 is a VERY soft shooting pistol, more so than my 1911, probably because the recoil impulse is spread through a wider handle. It is very well made, with a deep undercut just below the trigger guard, which makes it easy to hold well with medium sized hands. I find it to be easy to shoot and very accurate. One can change grips to G10s, which I like better than the E2 grip it comes with.
Of course if you get a 45acp pistol, you will need a second one ;), and so the money drain begins

·
Registered
487 Posts
i'd take a 227 over a 220 (own one).

Based on what you've posted i'd recommend a 226/40 ASE then buy a 9mm barrel (then 357sig barrel if you feel you want a 45ACP). You can use the same mags for everything.

Shield is a horrid "range gun" imho.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
All I can say is that I have a P226 ASE and love it!

Was going to go Stainless but the price and weight of the ASE won me over... It's a great gun.

Mine seems to only handle 13 rounds for what it's worth... At the range I just load an even 10 at a time...

It's got 13 in my safe though 😎😋😀

Get it and don't look back....

Just to get you drooling more...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All I can say is that I have a P226 ASE and love it!

Was going to go Stainless but the price and weight of the ASE won me over... It's a great gun.

Mine seems to only handle 13 rounds for what it's worth... At the range I just load an even 10 at a time...

It's got 13 in my safe though 😎😋😀

Get it and don't look back....

Just to get you drooling more...

Dear God... I am definitely drooling more now... I am really close to just getting it already, damn! Thanks for posting. It's beautiful. Is it 9mm? and holds 13 rounds?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes and yes...

It's a great handgun....

Sorry to make you drool over your phone!

Hmm, that's interesting. I know I want 15 rounds and the model I found says 15 rounds. I was unaware there was a 13 round 9mm p226...

Do you mind sharing what the UPC is on your model? Thanks

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. I know I want 15 rounds and the model I found says 15 rounds. I was unaware there was a 13 round 9mm p226...

Do you mind sharing what the UPC is on your model? Thanks
Ok.. Just double checked.. The mags are 15 but I can really only fit 13 ... I've never been able to lead the last 2...

Maybe it'll loosen up over time?

Yes.. I'm using a speed loader even

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok.. Just double checked.. The mags are 15 but I can really only fit 13 ... I've never been able to lead the last 2...

Maybe it'll loosen up over time?

Yes.. I'm using a speed loader even

OK cool thanks. I know theres a 10 round model which I assume is for states like NY, CT, MA etc.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.