SIG Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This project will probably one of my longest running ones. My plan is to convert the US Sig Sauer 556 Classic into a replica of the Swiss 550/551 series of rifles. I am unsure if I will decide on the 550 20" variant or the 551 16".

In order to get true SANS parts, It'll cost $$$ and by the time that I'm done, it would probably cost just as much as finding a true one, however we are in CA and that is pretty much impossible now. I don't need it to be perfect, just close enough for me.

In the mean time, little upgrades will come with time including the refinishing to the Swiss gray paint. I've accumulated a few parts over the years.

So far, I have:

Sig 551-A1 Lower
- Sourced from a local member
550 OD Green handguard
- Sourced from a local member
MFI SANS height top rail w/out fiber optic (US Spec was rail mounted and higher than the original)
- http://mfiap.com/i-23899515-set-mfi-sig-556-rear-diopter-sight-rail-with-sig-sans-550-sg-551-style-hooded-front-sight-with-fiber-optic-black-super-sale.html
MFI SANS front sight hood with fiber optic (required with the SANS height)
- http://mfiap.com/i-8688698-mfi-sig-front-hooded-site-includes-fiber-optic-windage-wheel-black-only.html
MFI front sight donut roll pins
- http://mfiap.com/i-10781653-metric-roll-pin-1-for-sig-550-1-2-556-front-sight-adjustment-wheel-taper-per-product-instructions.html
MFI HK style hooks 1.25" (x2) for use with the Magpul MS1 Sling
- http://mfiap.com/i-7873000-mfi-hk-style-snap-sling-hook-1-25-wide.html

Need:
550/551 upper conversion
ODG pistol grip
ODG Swiss Stock
Swiss paddle type mags

I've since installed the MFI parts.

The MFI parts are VERY high quality. Installation was straight forward and instructions were pointed out on the website. I am very glad that MFI stays true to the Swiss SANS heritage of the 550's legacy.

I would probably add the bipod kit and the Swiss style takedown pins for novelty sake, but they are not as important as the remaining parts. I'd like the SANS style flash hiders, but I intend to go featureless so the $14 Rousch Sports muzzle break will have to do.

I will continue to update this thread as the progress advances. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Anbuyoshi very cool project!
I have a 551A1 and for me it's close enough but I have thought about changing to green furniture, just don't know if it's worth spending the money to do so.

As far as magazines go CDNN has 20 rounders right now for $30, that's a great price. Being in CA I don't know if you can take advantage of it.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/just-in/sig-sg-550-551-20rd-223-smoke-poly-factory-mag.html

Nice FAL btw :)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anbuyoshi very cool project!
I have a 551A1 and for me it's close enough but I have thought about changing to green furniture, just don't know if it's worth spending the money to do so.

As far as magazines go CDNN has 20 rounders right now for $30, that's a great price. Being in CA I don't know if you can take advantage of it.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/just-in/sig-sg-550-551-20rd-223-smoke-poly-factory-mag.html

Nice FAL btw :)

Thanks, Twister! I'll order them soon. Mag capacity won't be an issue and I'll explain later once all is in order.

Mike Frost, the owner of MFI, sent me an email and advised that he would assist me in my conversion since he will doing one or two on his own.

This will be a fun journey indeed.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Cool. The original 551 handguard will make it look even better (the ones in your pics are the Sig USA Swiss type not a 551). Prices are going up though. I have one on my 556 ER with a classic lower and one on my 556R with the folding MFI front sight.

In my opinion, this is all you really need to do to these guns (new handguard, folding front sight, folding stock lower). The 550 lowers just add weight (if they are steel) and the costly need for the proprietary Swiss mags.

The Sig 556 guns are great rifles for the price and are fully capable for whatever you need to do. My beef with the MFI diopter rail is the owner openly says they are not made to military specs, don't operate the same way as the Swiss originals, and for lack of better words are for looks, to make a reproduction type gun.

My 556s are not reproduction guns or collector's items. Which is why I don't invest a lot in fancy parts, just go with what enhances their overall function, which is pretty damn good and doesn't need a lot.

My .02 cents. Good luck with your project, looks fun.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. The original 551 handguard will make it look even better (the ones in your pics are the Sig USA Swiss type not a 551). Prices are going up though. I have one on my 556 ER with a classic lower and one on my 556R with the folding MFI front sight.

In my opinion, this is all you really need to do to these guns (new handguard, folding front sight, folding stock lower). The 550 lowers just add weight (if they are steel) and the costly need for the proprietary Swiss mags.

The Sig 556 guns are great rifles for the price and are fully capable for whatever you need to do. My beef with the MFI diopter rail is the owner openly says they are not made to military specs, don't operate the same way as the Swiss originals, and for lack of better words are for looks, to make a reproduction type gun.

My 556s are not reproduction guns or collector's items. Which is why I don't invest a lot in fancy parts, just go with what enhances their overall function, which is pretty damn good and doesn't need a lot.

My .02 cents. Good luck with your project, looks fun.

Thanks, Loco. I'm not too keen on the 556 VS 551 handguards or rather I haven't researched it enough.

The ODG one I have is off of the 550 20" variant. I still have yet to decide if I want to cut it down or keep it as a 20". I still need the remaining ODG furniture, of course refinishing is also an option.

The spare lower that I have is off the US 551-A1 variant that uses the Swiss mags. The paddle release function is enough for me and I will always have the 556 lower for STANAG mags if I need to.

This most definitely will be a novelty firearm. If I need to grab a "go" rifle, it'll be my 516. :D

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Thanks, Loco. I'm not too keen on the 556 VS 551 handguards or rather I haven't researched it enough.

The ODG one I have is off of the 550 20" variant. I still have yet to decide if I want to cut it down or keep it as a 20". I still need the remaining ODG furniture, of course refinishing is also an option.

The spare lower that I have is off the US 551-A1 variant that uses the Swiss mags. The paddle release function is enough for me and I will always have the 556 lower for STANAG mags if I need to.

This most definitely will be a novelty firearm. If I need to grab a "go" rifle, it'll be my 516. :D
Cool that makes a lot of sense. I'm the reverse, my 556 is my go to and my 516 right now is more of a safe queen :)

Just look at pictures of 551 handguards vs. 556 "Swiss Style". The 551s are slimmer, lighter, look cooler. The 556 ones definitely are more comfortable when shooting lots of rounds, keep cooler.

If you really want to be cool, you can replace the bolt, gas block, gas tube, piston, front and rear pins, etc. with Swiss SAN parts.

It's all a waste of money ordering from CO gun parts and other sites. :lol:
They charge too much. Check ebay or find a early mostly Swiss 556.

Like I said, to me it's a project with no real desirable outcome. It will never have the overall quality of a Swiss made gun. Functionally it will be great and kick butt, that's all I want.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Going to need to Tig weld that rear sight to the receiver to get the conversion done right.:) I for one am happy with my 556 just as is, diopter and all.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
1/28/17 Update: MFI Fiber Optic Rods and Versa Bipod Adapter

MFI fiber optics rods (rear) and Versa Bipod adapter installed. Waiting on my Versa Bipod to arrive. I prefer this method as I can use it on multiple rifles via the Versa adapters. You can also see the $14 Rousch Sports Foxhole muzzle brake here.

MFI FO Rods: http://mfiap.com/i-23899552-mfi-fiber-optic-raw-material-4-inches-x-2mm-od.html

MFI Sig 556 Versa Bipod Adapter: http://mfiap.com/i-15903589-limited-time-super-sale-mfi-sig-556-55x-551a1-bipod-adapter-only-for-use-with-versa-pod-bipod.html

Rear focus:

Front focus:

You can see how the front fiber optic side folds down and is higher than the standard sight. This is standard across the board for Euro rifles.

A few last vanity shots:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Versapod Bipod Model 1 (150-001) finally arrived. This model has the Pan Tilt and Cant ability. I opted for the Ski feet per the recommendation of Mike Frost at MFI. This is the only difference compared to the original option available by Swiss Arms.

Example of a 551-LB with Versapod:

Mine. The P320 is a Compact slide (.357 Sig) mated to a Sub-compact frame. I am using the SC extended baseplate created by a SigTalk member, DPeter85 from nxgen tactical (I still need to repaint it).

https://www.nxgentactical.com/

Best part is that the bipod came with an adapter for sling swivels so I can swap to my "long range" rifles with ease.

Spikes Calico Jack lower with Daniel Defense LPK mated to a Daniel Defense DDM4V11 Pro upper (18" heavy barrel with rifle gas system). Furniture is Magpul UBR and MOE+ in Foliage. Optics are a Primary Arms 1-6x24 with ACCS reticle and Magpul Pro LR irons. Geissele SSA-E is en route:

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Range day @ 50 yards. I changed out the Rousch Sports MB for a Surefire ProComp. Noticeable difference in control.

I was using he 200 meter peep sight with and the non-FO front sight to zero. Other shots were experimenting with a combination of FO/Non-FO and CQB/200 meter peep.

I maxed out the rear sight's windage and elevation. I had to adjust the front sight's windage a bit, but not much I can do about the elevation. It's dead on at 25 yards using the non-FO blade and 200 meter peep so I should be good at 100 yards via the same combination. I found that the open FO sights were a bit more difficult to use, but for CQB purposes it's combat accurate.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Side note: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-rifles/218665-i-found-one-last-522-s-hidden-big5.html#post2938425

In my local CA based forum, a member posted regarding locating approximately 14 BNIB Sig 522's in inventory at Big5 about one month ago. They were allegedly pulled from sales during the "Black Rifle" scare and forgotten about.

I found the thread last week and figured that I was too late, but my gut told me to try anyways. I called my local Big5 and they were able to locate 2 at the Morgan Hill, CA store. I called that store and the clerk confirmed physically pulling the two rifles from the back. I ordered one and had it sent to my local Big5. I reported it in the thread for anyone else that still wanted one, but unfortunately someone else had bought the last one.

Well, mine arrived today so I scurried off and started the paperwork.

Sig 522 Classic with 16" BBL. It's the later variant with the revised dummy gas block, but still has the telescoping stock instead of the fixed Swiss style stock.

I'm going to put a .22LR rated scope on it and let the little lady enjoy yourself. It's still MY rifle though lol.

If anyone has a 20" BBL, Swiss stock, or old style dummy gas block lying around, I'd be glad to take them off of your hands. Thanks

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm going to leave the 522 in the 16" configuration. I've been researching ballistics for the .22LR and it appears that 14" BBL's are optimum for the caliber, however 16" is used for compliance.

Out of jail, Bushnell 3.5-10x32 rimfire scope mounted on medium height rings, swapped the Swiss fixed stock off my 551-A1 lower. I haven't decided how to mount a bipod yet since I can't use the MFI adapter on the new style gas block. I'll probably use a grip pod.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I didn't like how the bipod sat with the rail attachment. It was attachment, rail adapter, bipod.

I tapped the handguard to accept a swivel stud then mounted the bipod directly. It worked out well and when folded, the bipod didn't interfere with anything. I could've probably done this to my centerfire 556, but I like the look of the MFI Versapod adapter.

·
Registered
59 Posts
sorry for the late reply

read your journey

I told a much different route, I purchased on of the early 551-A1's, brand new

I swapped out all the usa parts except the receiver and barrel, some sans parts are found on the early guns those stayed, I changed out the upper rail with MFI unit, as i do not want to weld on the receiver. Otherwise my american made rifle is mostly sans surplus. I bought most of the surplus parts from gateway.

one day I spotted a 556 lower for sale, so i picked that up so I can switch back and forth on mags, if I needed to but I do not mind the sans mags I got plenty

I have never had a problem with my rifle, and it is a close as I will get to having PE-90

enjoy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.