SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Sigs, new to the forum first time post. I purchased a brand new 1911 Scorpion yesterday took it home to clean it and couldnt get it back together, the plunger would not go down far enough to allow the slide to go over it. I tried everything, eventually I took it back to Cabelas (where I purchased) hoping they could just fix it. 5 mins later it was being boxed up and sent back to sig and sig said they would fix it. Ive never sent a pistol in for repairs, what am I looking at as far as time? Im really upset about 1200 dollars being shipped around, and what if it gets scratched or worse lost?

Thanks for the read!

Semper Fi

Tango

·
Registered
35,139 Posts
Hey Sigs, new to the forum first time post. I purchased a brand new 1911 Scorpion yesterday took it home to clean it and couldnt get it back together, the plunger would not go down far enough to allow the slide to go over it. I tried everything, eventually I took it back to Cabelas (where I purchased) hoping they could just fix it. 5 mins later it was being boxed up and sent back to sig and sig said they would fix it. Ive never sent a pistol in for repairs, what am I looking at as far as time? Im really upset about 1200 dollars being shipped around, and what if it gets scratched or worse lost?

Thanks for the read!

Semper Fi

Tango
I have heard others with this problem. Sig will fix it no problem.
I strongly suggest we always deal directly with Sig. They send a fedex shipping label for a main overnight facility and get it back to you often within a week or two. I just got a spa treatment and elective change that took 2 weeks total.
With dealers you need to confirm they sent it straight away and not snail mail FFL to FFL or set aside on a desk. Cabelas should be better than most. Check with them and request to be copied on the Sig - fedex tracking report. That way you can confirm Sig got it, and Sig will email when return ship starts.
Good luck and the 1911 is a good one you will enjoy soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard others with this problem. Sig will fix it no problem.
I strongly suggest we always deal directly with Sig. They send a fedex shipping label for a main overnight facility and get it back to you often within a week or two. I just got a spa treatment and elective change that took 2 weeks total.
With dealers you need to confirm they sent it straight away and not snail mail FFL to FFL or set aside on a desk. Cabelas should be better than most. Check with them and request to be copied on the Sig - fedex tracking report. That way you can confirm Sig got it, and Sig will email when return ship starts.
Good luck and the 1911 is a good one you will enjoy soon.

Hey thanks I appreciate it. Their fed ex guy was actually there when I took it back and they boxed it up right there and he was gone so as far as that goes I am confident. Yeah from what the cabelas rep said was Sig thinks they had a batch of the scorpions go out with that problem and they already knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I just bought one also but no issue so far. Only had it taken down twice.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I hate that every time I go on one of these forums people are having issues with brand new guns. To spend that kind of money and have that kind of problem is disheartening, and I am re-evaluating which manufacturer I will spend money with in the future. Hope you get your gun back soon!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I hate that every time I go on one of these forums people are having issues with brand new guns. To spend that kind of money and have that kind of problem is disheartening, and I am re-evaluating which manufacturer I will spend money with in the future. Hope you get your gun back soon!
Yeah it wasnt easy to swallow and to say I was seeing red at the time is probably an understatement. Its probably more just my bad luck than anything. Really sucks though to put in hours and hours of research on a pistol and then have something like this happen. Ill be sure to keep everything updated on what happens

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If you would have called Sig via their 800 number. They would have had FedEx pick the gun up in less than 24 hours, fixed it and had it back to you in under 5 days. Sig is THE best customer support in the industry.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same issue with my tacops but i used my fingernail to push it down to get the slide on. It gets easier every time i field strip it and put it back together. Glad they are taking care of it for you, I love the 1911 and looking for another one now.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I'm intrigued by this. I have a 1911R and have no issues like yours. DO you have any pictures showing the exact issue?

·
Premium Member
18,373 Posts
I hope you enjoy your Scorpion, Tango. I purchased one a month ago and it is awesome! I, too, had the same problem with mine, couldn't get the slide to go all the way back when putting back together. It took me a little bit of time to figure out the cause of the problem, but once I understood the issue, was able to get the gun together and go put some bullets downrange. I'm a little bit late to the party to help you, sorry, but may be able to help others that may encounter this problem.

If you go to the Sig website, and open the owners manual for the Sig Sauer 1911, on page 14 of the manual, you will see an exploded parts diagram of the handgun. Part number 29, the plunger lever, was the culprit in my pistol. There was a line of flash, I believe a parting line from the die used to manufacture, running along the top of this lever. This flash stuck up just far enough to prevent the slide from passing over. If I pressed down on the lever while trying to install the slide, it went on, no problem.

Simply stoning this flash off resolved the problem and it hasn't occurred since.
Again, I hope you enjoy your handgun when it comes back!

ETA: Looks like we were typing simultaneously SY! I'm guessing he had the same problem as I had, a little flash on the top of the plunger lever. Nothing serious, just a minor inconvenience. Like your new picture, don't think I would want to argue with either the person in this picture or the dog in the prior! lol

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Sorry for your troubles, but Sig's shop has been great to me in recent months. Very quick turnaround, especially for warranty issues, insured shipping, trained armorers that appreciate the value of what they are dealing with and get the job done right. You won't be disappointed, so try not to fret (though I know how hard that can be, especially when you're waiting to try out a new gun!). Two weeks door to door, tops. Bet it's closer to one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a devil of a time getting my Carry Fastback back together the first time I took it down. It was extremely tight, so I just thought it needed breaking in.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a lot higher than mine sits, good thing you sent it in. They'll get you squared away. What part of Texas are you in Tango?
Well actually I had to go back to Cabelas and pick it up they said they wouldnt be able to send it out til next week and that it would take 6-8 weeks to get it back so I am going to contact Sig tomorrow and do it my self. I live in Denton, Texas.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yea that's not just a burr. Your plunger isn't lined up correctly. It's better it went back to Sig. They'll have it tip top in no time. Fear not. Let us know how it shoots. I have been listing over one at my LGS for a very long time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well actually I had to go back to Cabelas and pick it up they said they wouldnt be able to send it out til next week and that it would take 6-8 weeks to get it back so I am going to contact Sig tomorrow and do it my self. I live in Denton, Texas.
6-8 seems way too long. Good call on contacting sig on your own. Is Denton fairly quiet? Seems to be spacious whenever I go through there. Thanks for you service also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6-8 seems way too long. Good call on contacting sig on your own. Is Denton fairly quiet? Seems to be spacious whenever I go through there. Thanks for you service also.
Yeah I love where I live, I actually live in Corinth which is just south of Denton and my house is right on the lake. I get the small town community feel without having to live 30 mins away from a wal mart. I couldnt be happier with the area. And thank you sir, that means more than people know.

I thought 6-8 weeks sounded long, and at first the guy was saying thats my only option and then ended up confessing that doing it my self would be quicker and easier since I am in a wheel chair, its a ***** going all the way there

1 - 20 of 50 Posts