SIG Talk banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up a new SP2022 in .40. Didn't need to read any reviews as I know SIG won't put out a lemon. It's excellent for a number of reasons, and carefully engineered. It feels lighter in the hand than a friend's XD(M) although specs say it isn't.

If I had a single complaint, it would be the field stripping process. The push-through slide catch is awkward and a little tight at first, the rotating tab would probably make it easier. Otherwise it's an excellent weapon for those who can't justify a full-price classic model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
not sure how newsworthy this is; but as a long time Glock user, I think the sp2022 is an amazing shooter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I had a single complaint, it would be the field stripping process. The push-through slide catch is awkward and a little tight at first, the rotating tab would probably make it easier. Otherwise it's an excellent weapon for those who can't justify a full-price classic model.
It's a lot like separating a 1911 frame and slide, which is fine; but I can see how there's a little bit of cognitive dissonance when your finger tells you 1911 and everything you're looking at says polymer-framed SIG. I thought it was kinda funny the first few times I stripped mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am glad to see that I chose a fine firearm for my first Sig, ( SP 2022). One question about it though. slide to frame rattle, is this common in this particular model, or is this something I should be concerned about. Didn't really notice it when I picked it up but when I got it home and was handling it more I could here it. Also can see a little bit of lateral play between the slide and frame. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
No need to worry about it at all :) if you lock the slide back and shake your gun you will see that the barrel will rattle and that is common in most semi automatic handguns. I was a bit concerned when I handled my new Sig SP2022 and asked an expert about it, he told me that it is common and actually helps with the accuracy of the gun :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good find txs. I like how they use a triple serial version with lanyard loop and ilaflon slide as their model gun. Amazing pistol with rails twice as big as glock. The Exeter versions are finally up to snuff after the move from Eckernforde a couple years ago. Fortunately are people finding out what great pistols they are with all the panic buying. They are a Sig after all.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I came across the 2022 that had an external safety. I cannot figure out whether I like this or not. On one hand it would be nice to know there's something keeping it from firing other than the heavy trigger pull. It looks like it is in a very awkward spot though. Any thoughts on this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I still got a ways to go to poke hole like that in my targets but look forward to getting there shooting this pistol... as long as I can find the ammo!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just picked up a new SP2022 in .40. Didn't need to read any reviews as I know SIG won't put out a lemon. It's excellent for a number of reasons, and carefully engineered. It feels lighter in the hand than a friend's XD(M) although specs say it isn't.

I don't know what you are doing, but I can field strip my .40 in less than 30 seconds.

*Edit* 12.6 seconds. Just timed it on my iphone.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
I've been reading a lot about the SP2022 on here since I've joined the forum. Its making me wanna jump back onto another polymer gun! I went with the 226 to get away from polymer because I haven't been able to find anything on the life expectancy of the polymer frames in contrast to a steel or alloy frame. I own 2 polymer frame at the moment. A S&W Sigma 9mm and a Springfield XDm .45. The 226 is the first non-polymer I've owned but I can't beat the affordability of the "plastic" frames when the moneys tight. If anyone knows or has an idea of how long the polymer frames might last I'd appreciate hearing from you.
The slide rides on steel rails and does not contact the polymer what so ever, the only places where I would tend to see wear is where the pins go through the polymer. I would assume that it would take a lot of rounds fired to get any wear in those spots though. I would say if you keep your rails lubed that it probably would outlast the alloy rails found on standard Sigs.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
In essence, a "plastic-framed" SIG is merely a steel-on-steel pistol w/ a synthetic "stock". In fact, you have more maintenance {for service life} issues with an aluminum/steel frame pistol. Now, add the fact that the primary steel parts in the 2022 are made from stainless steel and you have a very, very durable pistol. I'd personally consider the SP2022 to be a superior pistol over the 200-series SIG's, tho I like them very much as well tho both my 226's are gone now and I only have one 200-series pistol, a P220.

I have had my 2022's for the best part of a year and am 100% impressed with the pistols. I have 2 2022's and my son has one. Mine go with me everywhere in very remote country and I completely rely on them, and they have been used for fine targets as small as ground squirrels and as big as a 1200 lb butcher steer.

I like the 2022.

Attachments

Reactions: expo

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have been very pleased with my SP2022 so far, it'll eat just about anything I feed it. I have shot both 115 grain FMJ, 115 grain hollow points, and the Speer 147 grain TMJ rounds without complaint.

One question I do have, though, regards normal wear on the barrel and slide tabs. Should my barrel look like it does in my photo after a hundred round or so, as well as the slide tabs? Or, do I need to use more grease? I would hate for it to wear out prematurely.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
SIG barrels always show wear. Sure, grease them up, but if you use the pistol, it will show wear marks from locking and unlocking. Bluing wears off those spots.

Reactions: expo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for your response, Valdemar. I have also read that these pistols have been tested, firing over 400,000 rounds, still in good shape after the tests. Here's where I got my info:

Gun Review: SIG SAUER SP2022 | The Truth About Guns

So, with that said, I guess I won't have to worry about wearing it out at the range. That's more ammo than I'll go through in several lifetimes! It also looks like it could be used for rabbit hunting, and other small game with the right ammo. It is definitely accurate enough at 50 feet. When you harvested that ground squirrel, Valdemar, were you carrying it decocked with a round in the chamber? Or were you carrying it with an empty chamber? I ask, because it seems like racking the slide could spook the quarry.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
The SIG is a safe pistol and can be carried safely with a round in the chamber as long as proper handling and holstering practices are used.

I carry chamber loaded, and just cock the pistol single action for shooting critters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I read in the instructions manual that it is not recommended to manually cock the pistol. I assume that would be to keep the slide from causing injury in case the hammer is let go prematurely. Would the safety keep the gun from firing if the hammer is not pulled all the way back and locked?

Thanks, Valdemar.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I read in the instructions manual that it is not recommended to manually cock the pistol. I assume that would be to keep the slide from causing injury in case the hammer is let go prematurely. Would the safety keep the gun from firing if the hammer is not pulled all the way back and locked?

Thanks, Valdemar.
There is no mechanical reason NOT to thumb cock the pistol, that is, the pistol is not harmed by it. I suspect the reason SIG warns against it is to avoid an accidental discharge whereby the hammer slips from under the thumb and the gun goes off prematurely.

As such, one cannot argue with their warning/policy, but if they really meant it I suspect you would see the top of the hammer rounded off in an arch precluding grasping of the hammer itself.

Yes, I think it is a policy made for CYA purposes and one cannot blame SIG for that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my sig pro! best investment for the money! my sig is so consistant all the brass goes in one pile if standing still! love it! handles as well as my friends 229. i have mine in 9 but yould love to invest in a 40

·
Registered
767 Posts
Having second thoughts about ordering online. A while ago I put money down on a SP2022 at my local gun shop. Talked to him today and he said my gun is on a wish list and could take up to two years to get. I told him I wasn't waiting two years. Now I wish I had ordered one online.

21 - 40 of 86 Posts