SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've entered a number of Sig gunsmithing/projects "How To's" threads here - especially the only slide /frame tighten and Bar-Sto barrel fit on a Sig 220-10mm I know of on the whole net.

One person looked at it all.

Is this mainly just talk about your Sig's here and discuss general stuff about them and that's about it?
Edsel said:
U be sooo raaaht, was1911!

I love this Forum.

But at the same time, while there obviously are numerous experienced "kitchentop gunsmiths" and handloaders here... There is nary a decent step - by- step, how - to - guide for even an activity so banal as handloading! Instead, we have to refer to other Forums or YouTube for such! There are more opinionated posts on tacticle warrier testosteronium and politickz than anything else!

Sooo sad!

Now, without getting too polytacticulopseudoarticulowordy...
I really wanted to have a compilation of DIY Videos and Tips for non - gunsmiths to quickly search through for various odds and ends.

Hopefully, we'd have enough information on the following to do repairs on our own! :)

P210
P22x & M11-A1
Px38
P250
P290
P320
SP2xxx

I'll start with my favorites below, please add your personal favorites if you have any.

No routine Field Strips / Cleaning Videos here! :lol:

Note: Some videos are redundant, but have been added due to differences in parts (extractors, etc.) and better clarity (the newer ones are in HD!).

SIG Sauer® P220 - Disassembly

SIG Sauer® P220 - Reassembly

SIG Sauer® P226 - Disassembly & Reassembly, DA/SA & SA

SIG Sauer® P226 - Complete Frame Reassembly

SIG Sauer® P226 - Disassembly & Reassembly :lol:

SIG Sauer® P226 / 229 - Disassembly

SIG Sauer® P226 / 229 - Reassembly, DAK Trigger

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
SIG Sauer® P226 - SRT Installation sans Decocker Part 1

SIG Sauer® P226 - SRT Installation sans Decocker Part 2

SIG Sauer® P226 - SRT Installation, Up Close

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/163410-hd-super-easy-p226-srt-kit-install.html

SIG Sauer® P220 - SRT Installation with Decocker

Steps When Field - Stripping SIG Pistols With the SRT Installed

This is "Appendix C" copied from Sig's website that seems to bear out my supposition that the safety lever might obstruct slide removal or assembly. Interesting they speak only to removal - I guess they are assuming the hammer will not have been cocked with the slide off for some reason.

Also, even though this is from their manual covering several models, it specifically says Elite series. Would not those same parts, configuration, and potential bonking of the safety lever occur with the new, longer safety lever installed in the other models this manual covers? I'll go look closely at my P226 Elite and report back w/ an edit.

Appendix C: SRT Supplemental Instructions

Thank you for purchasing our new Elite Series pistol with Short Reset Trigger (SRT) System. Please be advised that there is an additional step in field stripping your pistol equipped with an SRT system. Disregard procedure 8.1, steps 5 and 6 and follow the steps listed below:

• Pull back the slide slightly to disengage the slide catch lever. Hold the slide
firmly and allow it to move forward slowly.
• As the slide reaches its closed position, decock the pistol. This will allow the
SRT safety lever to completely retract so the slide can be fully removed from the
frame.
• Now slip the complete assembly (comprised of slide, barrel, recoil spring and
guide rod) forward and off the frame.
There is indeed a conflict between the slide and the top of the safety lever if removing and installing the slide with hammer cocked.

There is little additional effort to remove the slide with the hammer still cocked - it can be done without enough extra effort to raise any alarms. However, when attempting to install the slide with the hammer cocked, things come to a halt as the slide reaches the safety lever. You can feel it come to a stop right there. Push a little harder, it's still blocked, push harder still and the slide goes on. I ain't doing that no more though, as after decocking, the slide goes on with significantly greater ease.

Just did the same test with my '99 vintage P229 40 (also has latest long leg safety lever). No issues hammer up or down. Now, the safety lever still stands proud above the frame a little with hammer cocked, but the tolerances between slide and frame look to be enough more that the gun doesn't much care either way. I'll be using the decocker for all my SRT guns, can't hurt, might help - I think important with the SS frame SRT guns.
...which has the Short Reset Trigger, it may be your Safety Lever, which actuates the Safety Lock in the Slide....

Sig has amended their procedures in their manuals to prevent this wear. They recommend "De-Cocking" the Hammer after rotating the Take Down Lever down, and prior to removing the Slide. Also insuring that the Hammer is "De-Cocked", when installing the Slide back onto the Frame.

Text Material property Font

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
SIG Sauer® E2 Grips, Mainspring Housing, and Strut Installation

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Great idea Edsel. Thank you.

Reactions: pat701 and Edsel

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
SIG Sauer® P320 Fire Control Unit Complete Teardown and Reassembly

SIG Sauer® P320 Fire Control Unit BubbaTech® Polish Job

SIG Sauer® P320 Slide Release Replacement

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Sight Installation and Adjustment

SIG's pins and sights, as a general rule, remove from the gun's right to left. When you holding and pointing the gun, this is the same as your right to left. Installation is opposite, from left to right.
Apply a drop of oil to both the front and rear sights, and let them soak for an afternoon or so before easing them out...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
SIG Sauer® P238 & P938 Teardown, Reassembly, and Trigger Replacement

SIG Sauer® P238 & P938 Hogue Mainspring Housing Installation

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Barrel Fitting

There aren't any really good SIG - specific barrel fitting guides on YouTube (that I know of). The guide for 1911s is of higher quality and goes into more detail.

D***ed beavertail and anterior slide serrations :mad:

Unless dealing with match barrels, SIG factory barrels are for the most part loose and will drop right in.

DyKem DyKem DyKem!...

DyKeeemmm!

Product Metal Tool accessory Aluminium Steel

A simplistic (and yes, potentially dangerous) way of visualizing things is as follows:

Pretend the barrel is being cycled through the action. Cycle it to where it hangs up tight, hold it against the light, note where light doesn't pass, and remove a very little bit of material at the contact points, where the resistance is. Unlike what was mentioned in the first video, I did file off some material where he explicitly said not to; the barrel wouldn't even tip up to the point where I could assess if material needed to be removed from the front of the hood - the area he emphasized.

And just like what that hot British lady's voice says when disembarking from the Tube...

"Mind the (extractor) gap."

Material property
Laminate flooring Tool Tool accessory

As a reference, this is where barrels typically wear. Some of the spots correspond to exactly where one needs to shave excess metal off.

Technology Electronic device

Spyderco Triangle Sharpmaker stones have worked very well for me. Start with Medium (dark), then Fine (white). I haven't felt the need to use the Ultrafine (white, red ends) stones.

Text Font Line Screenshot Parallel

See pduque's thread for appropriate barrel & caliber swaps.

Continued on Post #41 :)

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Would like to add my support for this being made a "Sticky"!!!

There is a LOT of useful information here that I can and eventually will use in the future. I'd really hate to have to go searching for it every time I wanted to see how to do something! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Would like to add my support for this being made a "Sticky"!!!

There is a LOT of useful information here that I can and eventually will use in the future. I'd really hate to have to go searching for it every time I wanted to see how to do something! Thanks!!!
Ditto! I'll bookmark the thread in any case.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Something else I gotta ad to my 'todo' list, download and watch more videos.:eek:
Thanks Guys.........

Reactions: Edsel

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SIG Sauer® P232 - Desmontaje

SIG Sauer® P232 - Reensamblaje

Si, si!

Es en Español :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
The AirSoft P226 (Tokyo Mauri) is an interesting video.

I am still not clear on how much of it, if any, is a real SIG and how much is the various add-on AirSoft parts.

Any AirSoft folks here that can talk about what you see in the video? It's the second one in the first post.

My biggest problem with AirSoft is that the guns look so real. You or any LEO could easily end up shooting someone thinking it is a real P226.

Reactions: Edsel

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
<<snip>>
My biggest problem with AirSoft is that the guns look so real. You or any LEO could easily end up shooting someone thinking it is a real P226.
Hence the legal requirement for some type of red or fluorescent orange tip (see image below)! If anyone paints it black or otherwise removes the red/fluorescent orange, they're just a law-breaking dumba$$ asking to be shot!

Reactions: Heathen and Edsel

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The AirSoft P226 (Tokyo Mauri) is an interesting video.
Yeah.

I used to brush them off as "mere toys," but after seeing the video... These things are feats of engineering that rival even our pet SIGs :eek:

1 - 20 of 72 Posts