SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my Sig collection and a while back I wanted to "bling" out a p227 I was planning on making my EDC with all the nickel plated components. I did find all the parts and pieces except for the new style mag release. I called Sig and they stated that they aren't making any of the nickel plated components anymore. So the question I have, are they slowly phasing out parts and pieces for anything that isn't p220/6/9s? Sure feels that way, as I was looking for a 9mm barrel for a p226 I have in 40 and they seem pretty scarce.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,880 Posts
I've been working on my Sig collection and a while back I wanted to "bling" out a p227 I was planning on making my EDC with all the nickel plated components. I did find all the parts and pieces except for the new style mag release. I called Sig and they stated that they aren't making any of the nickel plated components anymore. So the question I have, are they slowly phasing out parts and pieces for anything that isn't p220/6/9s? Sure feels that way, as I was looking for a 9mm barrel for a p226 I have in 40 and they seem pretty scarce.
It's going to vary, depending on the model, and if it's been discontinued or not. In some cases, Sig changes a design, to the point there have been newer P226s that are using Magazine Catch assemblies more like the P227s, and less like the original design.

"Bling" as you put it, comes and goes, when used on current models, like the older Equinoxes, it's no big deal to keep some in stock. When they have no current models equipped, they don't see a need. By the same token, you could get your parts plated, for about the same cost. They are a business, and are profit driven, with everyone going "Striker", they keep dropping the classics, as they don't sell in the quantities to make them profitable.

As far as a 9mm barrel for your .40 S&W P226, any factory barrel will work, it's just Sig as normal, not having another batch of parts made, until everyone is out of stock. Go to any of their vendors, or to their website, and subscribe to back in stock notification. Sometimes it appears to help get them moving on getting re-supplied!

Reactions: Carmel Sig

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Willard, you are correct about the “back in stock” notifications. I had to wait close to 3 months before the BBL-220-45-T was back in stock and prior to the restocking NOBODY had one. Seems the phosphate chrome lined version is available in limited quantities but I didn’t want that. Being persistent but not to the point of being a PIA sometimes works at Sig. I only called once to inquire about the barrel and it seems it’s a fairly common part they normally stock. Now on the other hand, the op is working on a 227 and I know the parts kit with the grip bushings is becoming hard to find. The last one I bought, I found on eBay about a year ago and paid $50 for. The threaded barrel I mentioned above is for my 227 and I’m excited to see how it performs with the recently issued MODX-45.

·
12,880 Posts
Willard, you are correct about the “back in stock” notifications. I had to wait close to 3 months before the BBL-220-45-T was back in stock and prior to the restocking NOBODY had one. Seems the phosphate chrome lined version is available in limited quantities but I didn’t want that. Being persistent but not to the point of being a PIA sometimes works at Sig. I only called once to inquire about the barrel and it seems it’s a fairly common part they normally stock. Now on the other hand, the op is working on a 227 and I know the parts kit with the grip bushings is becoming hard to find. The last one I bought, I found on eBay about a year ago and paid $50 for. The threaded barrel I mentioned above is for my 227 and I’m excited to see how it performs with the recently issued MODX-45.
Yes, there are some things, that are a ridiculous hardship to bare, and that is the grip bushings (inserts), for both the P227, and P224/P229C. A very low cost part, but also for a discontinued model, but by the same token, the P225A1, another short lived model, has never had a Parts Breakdown. While it shares many parts with both the P239, and other P2XX series, it's grip screws, have a longer threaded shank than the others. Only available through Sig CS by phone! Whether the grip bushings are also still available through CS is unknown, unless you call and ask. I know their ability to fracture, and distort, causing problems with grip retention has been documented here before. Due to their size and possible "load", may be the reason Sig primarily went with the E2 style grips on most versions of the model.

Reactions: Taskotzke59

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, I should consider myself lucky I scored an entire set of plated parts for the 229, which is mostly interchangeable with 220/225/226/227 except for the previously mentioned mag release. Then there is the 224 with its strange parts like the mini decocker. I'll get on the wait list for the 9mm for the p226, I'd rather not pay scalper prices on ebay or higher prices for an aftermarket that may or may not need fitment. I did pick up a srt kit to toss in my newly acquired 226-rx. I was surprised it didnt have one from the factory. I need to stockpile parts as I completed my collection of classics :)

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Yes, there are some things, that are a ridiculous hardship to bare, and that is the grip bushings (inserts), for both the P227, and P224/P229C. A very low cost part, but also for a discontinued model, but by the same token, the P225A1, another short lived model, has never had a Parts Breakdown. While it shares many parts with both the P239, and other P2XX series, it's grip screws, have a longer threaded shank than the others. Only available through Sig CS by phone! Whether the grip bushings are also still available through CS is unknown, unless you call and ask. I know their ability to fracture, and distort, causing problems with grip retention has been documented here before. Due to their size and possible "load", may be the reason Sig primarily went with the E2 style grips on most versions of the model.
I agree. Even with skilled hands, the E2 grips are easier and quicker to install. I spent 20 years as a journeyman tool & die maker and to make the bushings for the 227 grips is neither cost or time efficient. Sig would have been better off with a design similar to a 1911 for that application.

·
12,880 Posts
I didn't understand the purpose for the inserts, I guess to make room for E2's to hook up? Fortunately Galco sent some with the G10s I picked up for the P227.
That's one way to get them, but Hogue doesn't appear to offer them separately, unless a call to their CS, could produce some.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I picked up and pimped out a P227 with the though of that being my EDC with a potential standard cap mag restriction looming. It looked new with E2s on it, so I did a stainless guide rod, and G10s. I was planning on the nickel parts swap, but couldnt find a mag release and thought it would look strange. Fast forward a year and I'm doing the same w the p226-rx. Now the problem is finding a suitable holster that I actually like for it.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Since I replaced the E2’s with G10’s, I’ve had the grips off maybe 3 times. Each reinstall seems to get easier. I’m just super careful at getting the screws lined up with the bushing threads.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I picked up and pimped out a P227 with the though of that being my EDC with a potential standard cap mag restriction looming. It looked new with E2s on it, so I did a stainless guide rod, and G10s. I was planning on the nickel parts swap, but couldnt find a mag release and thought it would look strange. Fast forward a year and I'm doing the same w the p226-rx. Now the problem is finding a suitable holster that I actually like for it.
That might be a challenge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I replaced the E2’s with G10’s, I’ve had the grips off maybe 3 times. Each reinstall seems to get easier. I’m just super careful at getting the screws lined up with the bushing threads.
Do you use blue thread lock? I have been questioning my use of it on the last couple full tear downs. I've not had any issues either way. I carried a p229 with the same grips/screws and never used thread lock for 20+ years, but for some reason I've felt the need to start using it.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Right now my 227 Elite is stock. Just ordered a threaded barrel from Sig and in the coming days I plan on getting the MODX-45 suppressor. As soon as I get the DA Sandman out of ATF jail. It’s for my LRP rifle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That might be a challenge.
OWB is not an issue. Galco makes -one- in leather, and I picked up a blade-tech OWB but would rather have it in leather. Personal preference is IWB without retention. I picked up a Falco holster that doesn't fit -about 1/2" off for the romeo- so that one will be used on any number of other full sized models. If I keep this up I'll have a holster collection to rival my Sig collection. :)

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Do you use blue thread lock? I have been questioning my use of it on the last couple full tear downs. I've not had any issues either way. I carried a p229 with the same grips/screws and never used thread lock for 20+ years, but for some reason I've felt the need to start using it.
I don’t use the blue thread lock. The screws came with a red locking substance applied. I make sure the screws and bushings stay together as a single unit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Right now my 227 Elite is stock. Just ordered a threaded barrel from Sig and in the coming days I plan on getting the MODX-45 suppressor. As soon as I get the DA Sandman out of ATF jail. It’s for my LRP rifle.
Let me know how that goes, maybe some pics :) I've contemplated doing a suppressor on one of my p220s.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
OWB is not an issue. Galco makes -one- in leather, and I picked up a blade-tech OWB but would rather have it in leather. Personal preference is IWB without retention. I picked up a Falco holster that doesn't fit -about 1/2" off for the romeo- so that one will be used on any number of other full sized models. If I keep this up I'll have a holster collection to rival my Sig collection. :)
I hear ya. My EDC is a 229 Elite 357 Sig and resides in a Milt Sparks Criterion. One gun, one holster, simple.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
Let me know how that goes, maybe some pics :) I've contemplated doing a suppressor on one of my p220s.
Don’t contemplate, get a MODX-45 for that 220. I had the opportunity to witness the MODX-45 compared to 3 other high end suppressor’s and it’s not even close which is the better can.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally, not too concerned about P-series parts/pieces. If my stockpile starts to dry up, I can always start scavenging parts from my P-series backups (and backups to the backups)...
Material property Rectangle Font Auto part Silver

1 - 20 of 23 Posts