SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Sig Sauer P938 Sports model. Everything works well, but when I go to release the slide with a magazine in it, it becomes really difficult to release. I have to hold the slide a bit back in order to release the tension and have it release on its own. It only happens when I have a magazine in it. When I don't have a magazine in, it's a lot easier to release.

I know this might alleviate itself with a couple of hundred rounds during the break in period, but does anyone have any gunsmithing solutions to speed it up a little bit?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have the sport 13 model too, and with a full mag, either the 7 or the 6 the slide release is very tight and I normally slingshot the slide to load.

I have a few hundred down range and the p938 is still solid.

Keep the slide lubricated and the ramp cleaned.

Enjoy

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
Welcome from Florida! You're going to like it here.

I concur with bab2000.

You may be tempted to fudge with that spring, but I'd leave it alone. The slightest bend in those things ends up in a support call getting a replacement with Sig CS.

I too got the Sport 13 from the PSA deal a few weeks ago, and have 550 rounds downrange. I can tell you, the slidestop eases up quite nicely after a short break-in period. I originally stripped the entire gun down to the frame for the FrogLube treatment, but left that little spring alone (as well as the trigger), and am careful to go easy around it while cleaning after each range use. It's reportedly a bear to remove, and if you don't use a non-metal pic it is easy to scratch-up the frame trying to do so, while also slightly bending that spring. After cleaning, I "paint" on a little FL on the rails of the slide and rails on the frame, and a tiny bit on each side of the ambi-safety and a little on that spring in question...that's it. Slide that sucker a few times, and wipe off the FL that accumulates on the rails near the trigger...done.

I hope you're having the same great luck as I am with the Sport, but as I plan to pocket carry, I've purchased factory blackwood grips, as the Hogues are a little too thick at the bottom to reliably draw the gun from my front pocket. If the wooden grips are too slippery for the southern Florida humidity, I'll just get one of those tubular rubber anti-slip thingies for the handle.

GL, and welcome again to Sigtalk! You'll learn a bunch here, but unfortunately it's going to cost you in the form of one to eight new Sig pistols in your not too distant future!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, instead of putting the "meat" of your thumb squarely on the release lever of the slide stop, get more leverage by concentrating your thumb on the back half or 1/3 of the "checkering" on the lever...it certainly makes a difference for me even now, after 3-4 weeks of practice.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I recently bought a Sig Sauer P938 Sports model. Everything works well, but when I go to release the slide with a magazine in it, it becomes really difficult to release. I have to hold the slide a bit back in order to release the tension and have it release on its own. It only happens when I have a magazine in it. When I don't have a magazine in, it's a lot easier to release.

I know this might alleviate itself with a couple of hundred rounds during the break in period, but does anyone have any gunsmithing solutions to speed it up a little bit?
Also, FWIW, yes, the slide stop is way harder to drop when there is an unloaded mag in. Easy with a loaded mag, or no mag.

Not to start a war, but FWIW, I was taught to treat the slide stop as a slide STOP, not a slide release-round-chamberer, and that chambering a round should be done with a snappy slingshot to allow for a greater degree of forward force to chamber the round more reliably.

I know that there are differing opinions on that, so I am just passing that on for this thread. Not judging. Also, technique may vary for competition versus self-defense.

·
Registered
312 Posts
While many people do it, its not the best way to chamber a round or at least thats how I was taught. S&W will tell you its a slide catch or slide stop lever NOT a slide release lever. Its better to sling shot the slide and use the lever to catch or hold the slide. Sige calls the part a slide catch lever.

Yes I know a lot of people do it and its ok but its not the best way to do something and do you really want the slide catch to be easier to release? That can lead to it not catching the slide when its supposed to.

YMMV these are my opinions.

Michael

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The best method is to sling shot the slide, for a good reason. Especially with the smaller pistols.

With a 5" barrel, the slide locks with the back of the slide well behind the round. Releasing the slide stop lets the slide pick up momentum before contacting the round.
The momentum of the slide ensures a proper chambering and full battery.

With a 3" barrel, the back of a locked slide is almost touching the round. Pulling the slide back another 1/2" to sling shot gives a little much needed momentum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think I explained myself right. My issue is when the slide is locked, it's difficult for me to push the lever down and have it release itself. It becomes easier to do when there is no magazine in the gun when the slide is locked. How will the slingshot method help me relieve pressure so that I could push down the slide release lever with ease? There is a noticeable difference when the slide is locked and there is a magazine inside and without. I want to make it so that it's easy to active like when there isn't a magazine.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I don't think I explained myself right. My issue is when the slide is locked, it's difficult for me to push the lever down and have it release itself. It becomes easier to do when there is no magazine in the gun when the slide is locked. How will the slingshot method help me relieve pressure so that I could push down the slide release lever with ease? There is a noticeable difference when the slide is locked and there is a magazine inside and without. I want to make it so that it's easy to active like when there isn't a magazine.
I think it's always going to be harder with a magazine in the gun because the magazine spring is pushing the slide release lever upward. That's how the pistol locks open after the last round.

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DaveR, do you think it will remain as stiff as this for the rest of the gun's lifetime? As long as there is a magazine in it?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
DaveR, do you think it will remain as stiff as this for the rest of the gun's lifetime? As long as there is a magazine in it?
Probably. The magazine spring will weaken over time but if it gets too weak it won't feed properly and that will mean a new magazine spring which will in turn be as stiff as it is now. A vicious cycle. Sorry.

Dave

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
Just to be clear, your issue is with the release force when an empty mag is installed?

If that is true, DaveR is quite correct. It should be harder to release. If it isn't, then there is a problem.

If the issue is with a loaded mag, even a partially loaded one, then something isn't right.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Page 29 of manual:

- Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
1. Place thumb safety on (safety up).
2. depress the magazine catch.
3. remove the magazine.
4. Visually and manually check the chamber to ensure the pistol is completely free of ammunition.
5. depress the slide stop, causing the slide to close.

If you really need to close the slide with an empty magazine in:
Pull the slide back with the left hand, while pressing the slide stop down with right thumb.

Your pistol seems to be functioning properly. If you believe it isn't, call Sig CS.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I didn't like the way mine functioned, either. Close examination of the slide stop showed rough machining on the surface that contacts the slide. I removed the stop and gently stoned that surface. The finish is removed, but it's not visible. The improvement in functioning was sufficient that I went no further. The notch on the slide could be hand finished, as well, but I chose not to because the polished area would be visible.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I didn't like the way mine functioned, either. Close examination of the slide stop showed rough machining on the surface that contacts the slide. I removed the stop and gently stoned that surface. The finish is removed, but it's not visible. The improvement in functioning was sufficient that I went no further. The notch on the slide could be hand finished, as well, but I chose not to because the polished area would be visible.
Smoothing the slide stop should do no harm.

But I would leave the spring alone.

I have no problem with how mine works.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just drop the empty mag a little then use the slide catch to release the mag. After a year mine is still very hard to release with an empty mag in the gun. My S&W M&Ps, My sons GLocks and Sigs are all that way. press the mag release and let the mag drop a little and it will release just fine.

Michael

·
Registered
313 Posts
I never use the slide release alone to drop the slide, always slingshot. If the mag is out, I still use my left hand over the top to pull the slide back and lower the release with my right thumb then release the slide.

I guess my slide catch is not hard to push down, mag in or out so I've never noticed this behavior.

·
Banned
2,873 Posts
If your intention is to load a cartridge into the barrel, you shouldn't need to push the spring down...just put in the full mag, and slingshot it.

This may be Captain Obvious info here, but just worth noting.

My P938 is @4 weeks old, and the slide release is getting easier to work, whether with a full mag, empty mag, or no mag...but my thumb muscle might be getting stronger for that particular use.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
It's hard to tell from your comment whether the magazine is empty or not. With an empty mag in the gun, the mag spring is pushing the follower up against the slide stop to lock the slide back. You are fighting the mag spring if you try to push it down. And new mag springs are stiff, particularly in smaller mags.

In my new P290RS it is nearly impossible to release the slide stop with the slide open with an empty mag IN the gun. But you shouldn't need to since you should be dropping the mag anyway.

With the mag removed it is easy - no mag to force the slide stop up.

With a loaded mag it is also easy, since the mag follower is depressed below the loaded rounds and not pushing up against the slide stop.

When you put a loaded mag back in, is it still hard to release the slide stop?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts