· Registered
1,685 Posts
Is it really that confusing?

P365, which includes the SAS
P365X
P365XL
P365 XMacro
P365 Macro Tac Ops

As others have said, Handgun Hero is convenient tool.
It's when someone refers to the XL as the X because Sig dropped the L from the slide that it starts to get confusing. Then it just seems to spiral downwards from there.

· Registered
484 Posts
I remember seeing your post, but I don't want the OP to go buy a different holster and then it doesn't fit without modification......
Gotcha! And I didn't mean for my response to seem like it was aimed at you.
👍

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
O/P

When the first P365 came out, it was called a P365 having a 3.1" barrel.
It has P365 on the slide and 10 round flat/pinky extension magazines, with an option to purchase 12 round extended magazines.
It is sometimes referred to as "Original P365", but still has P365 on the slide.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Starting pistol

P365

The P365XL was next. It was called a P365XL having a 3.7" barrel.
It has P365 XL on the slide, has a removable top plate for an optic, and flat/straight trigger.
When you install an optic on this version, the rear sights are lost.
It's easy to tell them apart without looking at the stamp on the slide by looking at the length of the grip and slide.
The XL's slide overhangs the grip by ~.6" and accepts flush 12 round magazines.

P365 XL Gen1

The P365X was next. It was called a P365X having a 3.1" barrel like the P365 but adopted three of the P365XL's characteristics.
Those are the grip that accepted 12 round flush magazines, the same optic cut, and the flat/straight trigger.
It had only P365X written on the slide.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Line Gun accessory

P365X Gen1

👉Here's where the Confusion begins.👈

I'm not certain which came first but SIG Sauer began to make a Generation two ("Gen2") P365X and P365XL.

The P365X Gen2 is the same as the P365X Gen1, except that the optic cut was moved to in-front-of the rear dovetailed sight allowing it to remain when an optic is used.

P365X Gen2

The P365XL Gen2 is the same as the P365XL Gen1, except that the optic cut was moved to in-front-of the rear dovetailed sight allowing it to remain when an optic is used.
And the "L" was dropped from being on the slide, leaving only "X".
This was done by SIG Sauer to... A) Cut costs, B) Differentiate from the original P365, C) Both A&B.

P365XL Gen2

Hope this helps!
Certain I'm missing the SAS and other information. Others can feel free to copy and make changes and add to if necessary.
I didn't even know Sig was onto Gen 2 for the P365X !

· Registered
484 Posts
I didn't even know Sig was onto Gen 2 for the P365X !
It's not SIG's naming convention, rather it's an easy way for me to differentiate between the "major" slide differences.

Might be good for folks to start using a common lingo to straighten out any confusion.

Examples:
First P365 variant ever stays P365
First P365XL is a P365XL Gen1
First P365X is a P365X Gen1

Second P365XL is a P365X Long
Second P365X is a P365X Short

Or, bust SIG's *** and tell them to put the "L" back.

Then the first P365XL is a Gen1
The first P365X is a Gen1
The second P365XL is a Gen2
The second P365X is a Gen2

Just spitballing here, IDK... I'm no authority.

Bottom line for me and, what looks like many others is... SIG screwed up to save a nickel.
Let 'em have it since there's so many iterations.
P365 X-Macro
P365 Macro and on and on... not knowing an end.
I'm okay with that though.

Reactions: trainkeptarolling

· Registered
484 Posts

· Registered
2,318 Posts
O/P

When the first P365 came out, it was called a P365 having a 3.1" barrel.
It has P365 on the slide and 10 round flat/pinky extension magazines, with an option to purchase 12 round extended magazines.
It is sometimes referred to as "Original P365", but still has P365 on the slide.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Starting pistol

P365

The P365XL was next. It was called a P365XL having a 3.7" barrel.
It has P365 XL on the slide, has a removable top plate for an optic, and flat/straight trigger.
When you install an optic on this version, the rear sights are lost.
It's easy to tell them apart without looking at the stamp on the slide by looking at the length of the grip and slide.
The XL's slide overhangs the grip by ~.6" and accepts flush 12 round magazines.

P365 XL Gen1

The P365X was next. It was called a P365X having a 3.1" barrel like the P365 but adopted three of the P365XL's characteristics.
Those are the grip that accepted 12 round flush magazines, the same optic cut, and the flat/straight trigger.
It had only P365X written on the slide.

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Line Gun accessory

P365X Gen1

👉Here's where the Confusion begins.👈

I'm not certain which came first but SIG Sauer began to make a Generation two ("Gen2") P365X and P365XL.

The P365X Gen2 is the same as the P365X Gen1, except that the optic cut was moved to in-front-of the rear dovetailed sight allowing it to remain when an optic is used.

P365X Gen2

The P365XL Gen2 is the same as the P365XL Gen1, except that the optic cut was moved to in-front-of the rear dovetailed sight allowing it to remain when an optic is used.
And the "L" was dropped from being on the slide, leaving only "X".
This was done by SIG Sauer to... A) Cut costs, B) Differentiate from the original P365, C) Both A&B.

P365XL Gen2

Hope this helps!
Certain I'm missing the SAS and other information. Others can feel free to copy and make changes and add to if necessary.
Nice post.
And then the X-Macro comes along with its evolution beginning.
Sig marketing is constantly overwhelming itself!

· Registered
67 Posts
As soon as the list was completed there would be 6 additions and 4 deletions.

SIG marketing is like no other in the industry.

I've read that a new P365 is fixin to be released in .357sig. I was revved up about it but I have no use for a 10 inch barrel. Or was it a 10mm with a .357 inch barrel?
Are you joking, or serious regarding the .357Sig P365?

· Registered
92 Posts
Even if there was such a website it wouldn't help that much. My problem is a lot of guns that look near perfect for me on paper fall short of my expectations after a few trips to the range. I am pretty happy with what I have but am always looking for something a little better.

· Registered
217 Posts
Boy I've always been confused with the Sigs. I am glad when I bought my P365 that was the only one at the store and I still think it is the right one for me. And my 320 RXP was the only 320 in the store and it would have been the one I would order if I had to.

· Registered
89 Posts
Gee, I'm not so New2SigSauer, having be involved with SIG Sauer since the eighties. Back in the DA/SA days there was no confusion. A model number meant something. Like a P228 or a P229 or a M11A1 was certainly way different and they would never mix up grip panels and oh, never mind.

Anyway I have a 365 XL, enough magazines and a holster too. I don't need to worry about their history of confounding the customer. But Tom73 did everyone a service here. Well done.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts