SIG Talk banner

Sig P320 X-Five with Leupold DeltaPoint Pro and rear iron sight

39405 42
So this took me awhile to do, thru trial and error, and trying to to get information from people and companies who do not want to give info...in any case, here's the finished product.

Things to note if you're trying to replicate this:

-why did I do this? The semi-dovetail on the Romeo 1 was a joke. The Leupold DPP offers a rear iron sight you can mount and co-witness
-slide was milled about 2mm in the front end to accommodate the Leupold DPP. The good thing is, the rear and the screw holes are identical between Romeo 1 and DPP
-thread pattern for the Sig holes is 6-48 UNC. You can't find these screws at Home Depot or Lowes. I got kind st a Brownells
-Front sight is Dawson Precision 0.44" fiber optic. You can probably get away with 0.40".
-Springer Precision has released a mounting plate so you don't have to mod your slide. I talked to him while they were designing and manufacturing the test plate, and it's very promising.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
So this took me awhile to do, thru trial and error, and trying to to get information from people and companies who do not want to give info...in any case, here's the finished product.

-why did I do this? The semi-dovetail on the Romeo 1 was a joke. The Leupold DPP offers a rear iron sight you can mount and co-witness
-slide was milled about 2mm in the front end to accommodate the Leupold DPP. The good thing is, the rear and the screw holes are identical between Romeo 1 and DPP
-thread pattern for the Sig holes is 6-48 UNC. You can't find these screws at Home Depot or Lowes. I got kind st a Brownells
-Front sight is Dawson Precision 0.44" fiber optic. You can probably get away with 0.40".
-Springer Precision has released a mounting plate so you don't have to mod your slide. I talked to him while they were designing and manufacturing the test plate, and it's very promising.
Very good to know, thanks for taking the time to post it up here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A great set up - thanks for posting. What did you use for a rear sight? Does the Dawson rear sight from the X5 attach to the Springer mounting plate? Thanks in advance.

Kent
Based on the pics and description, I believe he had his slide milled to accommodate the DPP optic. Leupold offers an integral rear sight for the DPP, which appears to be what is installed. You should be able to go the same route using the Springer adapter plate, though it will sit higher so you'll need a taller front sight to co-witness.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
You're probably right that the Springer adapter plate will require a taller front site. I see from the Dawson Precision website that they offer a Sig P320 0.455" tall x 0.100" wide ramped serrated fiber optic front site (https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-sig-p320-fiber-optic-front-sights/ ) and I wonder it this might work? Any thoughts? I would also like to use a Deltapoint Pro red dot on my new X5.

Kent in Michigan

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're probably right that the Springer adapter plate will require a taller front site. I see from the Dawson Precision website that they offer a Sig P320 0.455" tall x 0.100" wide ramped serrated fiber optic front site (https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-precision-sig-p320-fiber-optic-front-sights/ ) and I wonder it this might work? Any thoughts? I would also like to use a Deltapoint Pro red dot on my new X5.

Kent in Michigan
I'm honestly not sure. As experienced by the OP, the DPP optic already requires an exceptionally tall sight, even milled. You may want to give Springer a shout to determine the adapter height and/or if they know front sight requirements before moving forward. Personally, I would hold out for a Romeo 1. It's early in production but was a nice enough optic in my usage. It's considerably lower, especially with the rear cutout, and that is compounded by not requiring the extra height of an adapter. There have been several that have come up on various forums if you're patient. I just recently sold mine when parting out an RX. My only complaint, I wish it went a couple clicks brighter (which they're supposedly remedying though I haven't been able to definitively confirm).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So...last month, I did another project with another P320 X-five, this one, I had the slide professionally milled (vs me filing it by hand), and I used the Dawson .400?x.125? front sight. I wanted a shorter sight and the .400? was just a perfect fit.

Here are some photos of the new one:

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
So...last month, I did another project with another P320 X-five, this one, I had the slide professionally milled (vs me filing it by hand), and I used the Dawson .400?x.125? front sight. I wanted a shorter sight and the .400? was just a perfect fit.

Here are some photos of the new one:
Thanks for sharing! That's a nice pair of X5s! It's still a tall front sight but definitely a big difference. While the DPP is a great sight, may I ask why you went this direction over the Romeo 1? The maximum brightest was the only big selling point for me (and a more proven track record). When you say "semi dovetail", are you referring to the integral sight cutout on the Romeo 1? If so, I agree it's very much a last ditch co-witness. I initially thought you were talking about the actual dovetail cut in the slide to accommodate the Romeo 1, but think you might have meant the sight cutout.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing! That's a nice pair of X5s! It's still a tall front sight but definitely a big difference. While the DPP is a great sight, may I ask why you went this direction over the Romeo 1? The maximum brightest was the only big selling point for me (and a more proven track record). When you say "semi dovetail", are you referring to the integral sight cutout on the Romeo 1? If so, I agree it's very much a last ditch co-witness. I initially thought you were talking about the actual dovetail cut in the slide to accommodate the Romeo 1, but think you might have meant the sight cutout.
I chose the DPP because it's the only sight that offers a rear sight...and yes, the semi-dovetail is that little groove Sig cut out on the rear of the Romeo 1....my other reason for the DPP was also because the Trijicon RMR wasn't available with a rear sight...I prefer these two models because I've used them and I consider them to be the top of their game. Both the RMR and the DPP are built rugged to handle the beating....the DPP's second gen learned a lot from the previous. Leupold overbuilt the bezel to be able to absorb the shells hitting it..have you ever seen a Romeo 1 on an gun that's had a couple thousand rounds? They all look beat up and some of the glasses even got broken from spent cases....and yes, they all have lifetime warranties against that, but still, Sig is in their first generation doing this, I'm sure when they revise it, they will make it tougher...that way, they themselves don't have to cater to consumers returning for a replacement...if you feel the Romeo 1 vs the DPP, you can tell how much more quality and how much more solid the DPP is....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm honestly not sure. As experienced by the OP, the DPP optic already requires an exceptionally tall sight, even milled. You may want to give Springer a shout to determine the adapter height and/or if they know front sight requirements before moving forward. Personally, I would hold out for a Romeo 1. It's early in production but was a nice enough optic in my usage. It's considerably lower, especially with the rear cutout, and that is compounded by not requiring the extra height of an adapter. There have been several that have come up on various forums if you're patient. I just recently sold mine when parting out an RX. My only complaint, I wish it went a couple clicks brighter (which they're supposedly remedying though I haven't been able to definitively confirm).
I've talked to Scott while he was working on the plate for the DPP, and I didn't want the extra height....the DPP is already the largest red dot out there, and it is ginormous...i think both Scott Springer and Bruce Gray cringed when I cut into that slide three days after it was available...but I still wouldn't use the plate due to the height...but that plate supposedly is quality...I'd recommend it...as far as the Romeo1, I also purchased a P320RX back in May just so I can have a Romeo 1.....I didn't care for it...it's just very weakly built, in my opinion...I also have 3 boxes of Romeo 1's still brand new and unopened in my cabinet, and I don't intend to use them for the X5...at least, not mine.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A great set up - thanks for posting. What did you use for a rear sight? Does the Dawson rear sight from the X5 attach to the Springer mounting plate? Thanks in advance.

Kent
If you mount the DPP with the Springer's plate, you should still be able to mount the Leupold rear sight, as it is attached to the DPP itself and not the plate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
An excellent point. I was under the impression that purchase of a separate Sig Romeo 1 red dot was extremely difficult, as they are extremely difficult to locate. Perhaps that will change in the future, if the upgrades you mention are the reason why Sig has delayed release of version 2.0 of the sight. An upgraded Romeo 1 might well be a better solution.

Kent

·
Registered
713 Posts

Kent in Michigan
For anyone else that comes across this thread, Springer's plate adds .155" in height so would require a .555" tall front sight.

Speaking with OP, thread length is 15mm for the 6-48 screws.

Reactions: EleventhHour

·
Registered
443 Posts

Thanks for sharing. It looks like your determination and hard work, worked out great.

I was thinking of this and wondering if you had entertained a slightly different approach to this problem. Since you milled approximately 2 MM off of the front of the slide cutout and left the rear of the cutout untouched, what if instead of milling the slide, is there any possibility that the front of the Deltapoint could be notched out instead? If a cut using a tool with the same radius as the top curvature of the slide could be used, it wouldn't even be noticeable. Ultimately, milling the slide would probably be the best, by I just have a hard time with making a permanent modification to the slide.

I have no way of knowing just how thick the body of the Deltapoint is, or if it's solid or hollow in the front, but personally I just hate the idea of messing with the slide, but that's just me. I might be more comfortable notching the front of the Deltapoint instead. That would have the same affect, but would attack the problem in a slightly different way. In looking at the bottom of a Romeo 1, I doubt that there's enough room to do this, but I've never seen a Deltapoint up close so I can't say if it would work or not.

Just thinking.

·
Registered
1 Posts

How long are the screws that you used to mount the DPP? I have the screws that come with the Romeo 1 to attach, but I don't know if they'll be long enough for the DPP. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.