SIG Talk banner

Sig P320 TruGlo sights question

20268 23
Greetings,

I recently purchased two sets of #8#8 Truglo sights for my P320s and had them installed. If it matters, they were installed in a shop with Sig's certificate, so, at least in theory, it should all be perfectly fine. I also told them to test them to check the point of aim and everything. Now both my P320s are 9mm, they originally came with #6#6 sights. I checked and #8#8 should work, but, as it turned out, the point of aim is completely different with Truglo. They more or less work like competition pistols now (you have to aim below the black circle to hit the center).

Is that something normal, a matter of switching from #6 to #8 or did they screw something up at the shop?

Thank you in advance for your advice :).

Best regards,
Kalan

EDIT: Yes, I contacted Truglo about it, awaiting response :).
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it took some research, but I finally figured out what's going on. If anybody else has the same problem or is thinking about buying a P320, read carefully.

Normally P320s in 9mm come with #8#8 sights. My came with #6#6, which are normally mounted on .380 guns. Check your sights before you purchase (shame I didn't know that when I bought it). If you buy the #6#6 P320, you're in a lot of trouble, because there is no way in hell you'll be able to replace your sights with anything, because who in their right mind makes fiber sights for .380 Sigs?

Mine is #6#6 meaning 5,88mm / 5,8mm. Replacing them with #8#8, which are 5,6mm / 6,35mm moves your POI 6 inches up on 25 yards, which renders your gun generally useless.

So, if you happen to have a #6#6 P320... I don't envy you... now, anybody wanna buy brand new #8#8 Truglo sights? Just kidding ;).

Best regards,
Kalan

·
Registered
202 Posts
My Compact 45 has #8/#8 Siglites on it now, subbed -

So you went from a #3 picture to #2 (6'o clock hold)?

Why did you go to #8 from #6? The only things I've read about on other sights is people use the same numbers and get a different hold, I would expect a different hold with different numbered sights -

I love the TFX Pro's on my PPQ - and have debated doing them on my 320, or just Xray sights (made by Truglo)

·
Registered
549 Posts
There was a thread going recently discussing similar issues (link below - with some informative pics). Apparently, Carry and Compact P320s in 9mm come stock with #6 front and #8 rear. With this setup, many report shooting low. Some recommend just adjusting POA. However, many report fixing this issue by replacing the #6 front sight with a #8 front sight in order to move POI upwards.

So the #8 front and #8 rear setup seem to be working well for most. Not sure why it would be any different for TFOs. I've actually been looking to buy a TFO front sight lately.

Anyway, I think calling this setup useless is a bit of an exaggeration. Its all just POA. But of course, I don't have too much experience with TFOs, so perhaps the change is more dramatic than I am imagining.

Also, you might want to re-check your setup. Are you positive that the rear is a #6? The numbers are small and the #6 and #8 can be tough to differentiate.

http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-modular-pistols/180946-p320-compact-shooting-low.html

·
Registered
383 Posts
There was a thread going recently discussing similar issues (link below - with some informative pics). Apparently, Carry and Compact P320s in 9mm come stock with #6 front and #8 rear. With this setup, many report shooting low. Some recommend just adjusting POA. However, many report fixing this issue by replacing the #6 front sight with a #8 front sight in order to move POI upwards.

So the #8 front and #8 rear setup seem to be working well for most. Not sure why it would be any different for TFOs. I've actually been looking to buy a TFO front sight lately.

Anyway, I think calling this setup useless is a bit of an exaggeration. Its all just POA. But of course, I don't have too much experience with TFOs, so perhaps the change is more dramatic than I am imagining.

Also, you might want to re-check your setup. Are you positive that the rear is a #6? The numbers are small and the #6 and #8 can be tough to differentiate.

http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-modular-pistols/180946-p320-compact-shooting-low.html
I'm not sure if you are talking about the same sights as I have/had for my Glock 43 -- TruGlo TFX Pro or not.. Fair warning, the fiber optics are just okay indoors and very good outside. They are not as bright as HiViz regular, non-tritium fiber optic sights. I prefer a much brighter red front sight like the Trijicon HD. It really stands out in the day and they are great at night. Actually, I have the Amarillo iDots which have exactly the same front sight as the Trijicon HD (trijicon is stamped on the front sight) and a single dot on the rear. I repurposed the TruGlo for my Glock 42.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm not sure if you are talking about the same sights as I have/had for my Glock 43 -- TruGlo TFX Pro or not.. Fair warning, the fiber optics are just okay indoors and very good outside.
Yea I'm not sure either. My P320 FS 9mm Tacops came with a TFO front and I really like it (so whichever that one is lol). All my other SIGs just have siglites, which I also like. Hoping to find a TFO front for my FS P250.

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
Reactions: Mills

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thank you for your responses.

Yes, I'm 100% sure both my P320s came with #6#6 mounted on them. Initially their POA matched their POI - where the dot was, the bullet hit. After switching to #8#8, which seem to be the regular setup for full-size P320s, my POI is 6 inches up from 25 feet. That's 50% higher than precision pistols. If you aim at the bottom of the black circle on a standard competition target, you'll hit 3/4 of the circle higher. I fired some 300 rounds through those sights and man... it's a chore. Especially during practical shooting when distances change all the time, I had to estimate, calculate and make corrections for each shot. It was terrible.

I'm also fairly sure nobody, literally NOBODY, makes #6 rear sights. There are #6 front sights available, because they come with .45ACP and compacts, but I'm stuck with the stock rear sights forever and ever, which sucks big league. The Truglos I bought have this neat round design to the rear sights, that really made aligning sights faster. I'm stuck with the regular square ones though.

Here's how high the POI is compared to POA. The distance was 11 yards (10 meters):
https://1drv.ms/i/s!Anqwto-mJr4kjJsNcCJ12YBR0xxMkQ

Quick edit: This test was done by the shop that replaced my sights. Not me.

Best regards,
Kalan

·
Registered
142 Posts

Where on earth is the number on the rear sight anyways? I can see the front one but not the rear. It this a job for a magnifying glass? lol

·
Registered
535 Posts
Where on earth is the number on the rear sight anyways? I can see the front one but not the rear. It this a job for a magnifying glass? lol
The # should be stamped into the left side of the rear sight
(The stamped number can be very faint and hard to see, on my compact the top half of the 8 is so faint it takes putting it under a bright light to see it.

My fullsize and compact with Siglites both have #8 front and rear
My sc with 3 dot contrast sights also is #8 front and rear.
All 9mms.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My 9mm P320 Compact also came with #8's front & rear.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The # should be stamped into the left side of the rear sight

(The stamped number can be very faint and hard to see, on my compact the top half of the 8 is so faint it takes putting it under a bright light to see it.

My fullsize and compact with Siglites both have #8 front and rear

My sc with 3 dot contrast sights also is #8 front and rear.

All 9mms.

Just checked it out and I have a 6 front and 8 rear. I had to get out a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have the same issue.. the front clearly has a 6 stampted on it.. The rear sight on the left side bottom has something there but even with a magnifying glass it in no way looks like a number..

I looked all over and no other markings on it. I assume it is a #8 based on reading several posts on the sight issue. Mine is a P320C in 9mm.

My POI was a tad low with the Iron sights and a gun rest @ 7 yards. I moved the red dot up a tad and the POI is now on the red dot. Love this gun.

EDIT: Just also wanted to note that the battery is still going strong after 3 months medium intensity.

·
Registered
399 Posts
P320F 9mm should come with 8/8. Carry, Compact, SC should come with 6/8.

Each higher number front is supposed to equate to 1" higher impact at 25 yards while each higher number rear should equate to 2" higher impact at 25 yards. That isn't much of a difference in a practical sense.

Personally, I like the POI to be right exactly on top of my front sight. It has taken me a lot of adjustment learning to shoot my P320. Hiding the target behind the front sight makes sense with a CCW pistol designed to shoot at 7 yards but in my opinion it isn't precise enough to be interesting and not much fun out at longer ranges.

When you say the Tru-Glo's brought your POI up 6", do you mean from the top of the sight, or are you measuring from the center of the fiber optic dot? I find that if I split the bullseye with my 8/8 sights I hit about 6" low. I might have to get a set of these.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
I don't pay any attention to the SIG numbering system or the Glock numbering system.
I'll bench the gun with the issued sights, note POA/POI and then measure.
I might have to do a little math or use a sight calculator (see Dawson or Ameriglo websites).
Do that and your new sights will work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.