SIG Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Whichever feels the best to you. If it's a carry weapon, consider the weight too. P229 will have a bigger aftermarket.

Does the P229 have the SRT installed?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Which one can you shoot better? Me personal would go with the P229, hammer fired DA/SA.
I'm not saying that the P229 is a better pistol than the P320 but for carry I prefer to keep my thumb on the hammer while holstering, not possible with a striker fired gun.

YMMV

Reactions: USMC6872

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,635 Posts
Cheeze10, that would be like comparing apples to oranges. It's not the "looks" that matter either... it's as TXSouthpaw stated... it's what feels best to you! When you place the pistols in your hand, where does your index finger align on the trigger?

As I stated, apples and oranges... while the 320 is striker fired, it is a consistent trigger pull. One fact about the 320, is that there are smaller or larger grips available, IIRC they come with medium, so if your grip doesn't fit perfectly, you can change it for about $40.

The P229 on the other hand is more than likely DA/SA, so you have the long heavier trigger pull for that first shot, but short light pulls for successive shots, until you either de-cock, or run out of ammunition. Here depending on grips chosen, the E2s would be the smallest diameter, followed by the standard grips/G-10s, then Wooden models the largest.

As Steelhat mentions, which one do you shoot better? If there is a range with rentals of these weapons near you, you may want to try a representation of each, before making your final decision.

Good Luck, with YOUR decision!!!

Reactions: FLASIG

·
Banned
7,293 Posts
Do my hands make my gun look big?.... :)

·
Registered
654 Posts
1) Which one do you SHOOT better? Voice of experience here - holding it statically is a step in evaluating a pistol, but shooting it will tell you which one is better when it counts.
2) Which one CARRIES better as you intend to wear it all day? Try that, also.
3) Finally, does polymer or metal make a difference to you? I've come full circle back to DA/SA for all my shooting. But my EDC is a striker because it is polymer and I carry in the hot humid sweat factory known as the Gulf Coast and I didn't want to deal with frame corrosion. I found a subcompact striker pistol with a pull that is the closest I've found to the DA pull in my other pistols to minimize the difference between them.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Save up and get the 320. Having both, I alternate between them. I prefer the 320 for my EDC, but I tend to shoot the 229 a bit better. Just not enough to typically carry the extra weight.

Love them both.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have to agree with most everyone here. It depends on how well you shoot it.
Me personally though, I was a Glock guy for years. I bought some Sig rifles and kind got the Sig-ness. When the P320RX was announced it caught my eye. I went to the range and rented a P320 and was very surprised at how well I shot it. That sold me. So, I began my foray into the Sig pistol world. I could not find any RX models in stock anywhere, and I am impatient, so I bought the Compact and Subcompact versions. While I was at my LGS I saw the P229 Legion and I just kind of fell in love. I like the striker fired pistols a lot, but I figured I could try DA/SA again. So, I had to buy it. When I took it to the range, I was amazed at how well I shot it, even in DA. Now, when my 320 slides get back from milling for their RMS's, I am going to have to go back to the range to see which platform will become my EDC.
Long story, but the moral is, it depends on you and which 'fits' you better. I am also squarely in the camp that says you can't go wrong with having both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,844 Posts
I like the 320, it fits the hand well.
But the 229 and the 239 have worn a groove in my hip and I don't want to retrain my body at this late date.

Reactions: Beast12
1 - 10 of 10 Posts