SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I am not on here a lot.)
What is the difference, if there is any, between the magazines for the P320 made in Italy vs. USA? I have had both, and don't notice much difference. I have had one person say the Italy version has a little tighter spring. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I have 18 different P320 mags, a mix of those from Italy and the United States. For each of the guns I purchased, the mags were made in the USA. For all the other mags I've purchased they have mostly been Italy.

Other than the lettering issue mentioned previously, I couldn't tell one from the other.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I bought six more P320 mags tonight, all were Made In Italy.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it sounds like a toss up as to which you will get, unless its like metaephor said above, the USA mags come with the gun, all those bought separately are Italy. No one seems to be able to tell much of a difference.

·
Registered
556 Posts
So it sounds like a toss up as to which you will get, unless its like metaephor said above, the USA mags come with the gun, all those bought separately are Italy. No one seems to be able to tell much of a difference.

Almost all of my P250s and P320s have come with Italy mags. Only my P320 Carry 9mm came with USA mags.

Of the two additional mags (14 round .40sw and 15 round 9mm) that I bought, one was Italy and the other was USA.

My guess is that like the grip modules (gen 1 vs gen2), there is no pattern regarding which one you will get - they just grab whatever is nearest and throw it in the box.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I actually wrote an article on this topic last year:

SIG Sauer P320 Magazines ? Mec-Gar or Check-Mate? | ThruMyLens

I shoot competitively in both USPSA and 3-Gun, and am a fairly high round count shooter. I've experienced one magazine failure to date - it was a Check Mate 15 round mag. For reasons unknown, the spring inside of the magazine twisted about 90 degrees inside the magazine. It was very strange. Interestingly enough, I called SIG hoping to be able to purchase a replacement spring, and was told you can't - you have to purchase a new magazine. The one I received was a made in Italy magazine, so I was happy.

For better or worse, I tend to trust the Mec-Gar Italian magazines more than the US made Check-Mate magazines.

Reactions: stlmia

·
Registered
215 Posts
From what I have noticed,if the mag is for sale in the clear plastic packing and is also in a clear pouch like plastic wrap. that will be Italy If its bare in the plastic packing its USA.Thats what I have bought in NH local gun shops.Every time this has played out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm new to SIGS I just recently bought a P320 but have had many issues with the Check Mate mags in the Beretta 92/M9 platform. The Mec-Gars have always been better for the Beretta. My 320 came with the USA made check mate ones and the finish on the sig check mates is definately better than the rough finish on their beretta magazines. So far no issues but I still think I'm going to try to get my hands on some Italian made ones for peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If you have the choice between Mec-Gar or Check Mate magazines for any particular model, always choose the Mec-Gar.

SIG has phased out Mec-Gar as their OEM and moved toward Check Mate for a few years. And if you've been paying attention to the shift in SIG's business model over the last few years, you probably already understand that their decision to do that probably wasn't based on the possibility that Check Mate mags are of higher quality or reliability.

·
Registered
150 Posts
My P320 came with 2 US magazines, I purchased another from Sig Academy. The new mag was from Italy. Only issue I have is the US mags are tough to get 17th round in, while the Italian is easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
(Sorry if this has been discussed before. I am not on here a lot.)
What is the difference, if there is any, between the magazines for the P320 made in Italy vs. USA? I have had both, and don't notice much difference. I have had one person say the Italy version has a little tighter spring. Thoughts?

My P365 came with two magazines made in Italy. I purchased a 15-rd. mag and a 12-rd. mag made in USA. When I received the 12-rd. mag it would only take 3 rounds. I disassembled it/reassembled it 3 times and was then able to load the mag full.

In the process of trying to figure out why this would happen, one thing I noticed was the follower (top plastic piece attached to top of the spring in the mag where bullets rest against) was slightly 'sticky' or 'bumpy' when you pushed down on it empty on the MADE IN USA 12-rd. and 15-rd. mags. The followers on both my 10-rd. MADE IN ITALY mags are very smooth. I don't know what/if that has any impact on performance (I would be curious to see if anyone else does?), but it was just an observation.

So hard to find ammo nowadays that I've only put about 150 rds through it so would be curious to know from others what to expect down the road.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.