SIG Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally going to get a P239, I have always liked this gun but somehow something had to come first. The other day I went to a LGS and to my surprise was a used P239 in 9mm. When I handled the gun the first thing I noticed was the amount of slide play and rattle. IS this common in these pistols or maybe cause it's the newer versions? The only other sig I own is a 226 in a 40 that was from 2008 that came in the blue plastic case with the blue sig grip band. Every version from that era was rock solid and I can shake that gun in or out of battery and not a single rattle. Would like to know your thoughts, Does it effect accuracy? Did their quality diminish slightly or am I stressing over nothing?:confused:

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
Btc624, welcome to Sig Talk, from the southwest corner of Indiana. Shouldn't be a problem, as stated by Malicious Compliance, remember when you stick a magazine loaded with ammunition in it, there will be upward pressure on the slide, and eliminate most of the "play". The one thing you should do prior to purchasing it is remove the slide and check the rails. If you're not sure take some pics, and post them here.

Reactions: GCBHM

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
Welcome to the site, and I echo MC and Willard, FWIW.

·
Registered
19,531 Posts
I think old and new are probably equal as far as quality. Both are probably machined on similar machines to the same specs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
WOW Thanks for the warm welcome fellas and for all the advice, I think I'm just hung up on those old blue boxes and now after some digging I find out that if a get the .40 I can not only shoot the 357 but the factory 9mm barrel and changing out the recoil spring. Decisions Decisions!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[URL="http://[/URL]

The travel for the decocker with these grips look smaller then I'm normally use to seeing, did they make diff factory grips? The sn looks like a 2008-2009 gun:confused:

·
Registered
11,562 Posts
My 2007 German frame 239 has more slide play than any SIG I've owned, it rattles even when fully loaded. But it shoots as well and as accurately as any SIG I've owned and better than some.

I don't know if the rattle is common to the old, new or all units but it's a non-issue in my mind.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hello and Welcome BTc. I've been a SIG fan since the '80s and have owned a number of the basic versions,including two 239s, and all of the calibers except .22. My first early 239 was tight in battery. One purchased several years later rattled. Both were reliable, but my personal preference was the earlier non-rattling version. I was a LE SIG armorer for some time and had the opportunity to examine SIGs other than my own. It's good that so many buyers don't mind SIGs that rattle because over the years, I noticed that more and more of the guns I owned, and others I maintained, rattled. Barrel/slide/frame fit is just not what it once was. More on the level of Glocks now. I still prefer my SIGs not to rattle. But, like Colt's "battle rattle", rattling SIGs have become the norm;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts