SIG Talk banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Zebra was correct. I shot my 229 again today, but first I a) replaced the recoil spring with a new one from SIG, just in case; and 2) ran a drop of Hoppes Black in each slide rail channel.

Flawless performance. 50 rounds of Lawman 124gr, 50 rounds of Fiocchi 115gr. I think the gun was just a bit dry after it arrived, even after its first cleaning.

What a beautiful firearm. I'm now confident that I can count on it as my EDC.

Cheers.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Seeing that it is a Red Box, it is doubtful you know the actual born on date. You may have a newer model of the P229 that has not been properly broken in and just needs more time and rounds through it. Who knows, it may have been returned to the factory hardly ever being shot in the first place.

Congrats and welcome!
That's exactly right. I have no history, and the only way I know to obtain one would be to call SIG. But man, it looks brand new!

Cheers.

·
Registered
499 Posts
That's exactly right. I have no history, and the only way I know to obtain one would be to call SIG. But man, it looks brand new!

Cheers.
Over the years I have purchased at least 5 red box and have never been disappointed. The only disappointment is seeing them stacked up because I can only shoot one at a time. And now very sparingly with the ammo shortage. Be prepared to see this shortage get worse with Biden and his team in place.

Reactions: BossHog18

·
Registered
239 Posts
When you have failure to feed issues, it's often a good idea to check the overall length of the rounds. SAMMI Specifications for the 9mm Luger round are between 1.000 and 1.169 inches. I load most rounds to about 1.120 OAL. Longer rounds may deflect off the ramp in some pistols during the feed cycle. Double check the OAL of the rounds causing problems.

Also ensure you're giving the pistol good support during cycling. Grip on the P229 may feel different than other narrower guns you may have shot. The recoil forces it uses to load need you to stabilize them with a solid stance and grip.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Wet - grease the rails. Ammo is cost prohibitive now. But when you could buy, SIGs love Russian steel cased.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It is always interesting to read these "oil/grease/how much" threads. Everyone seems to have different products and amounts thereof that are absolutely the proper thing to use!

As for me and mine: I read the owners' manual for each gun, every time, and do what it says. My SIG P238 has NO LUBE POINTS listed in the manual - just go over all metal surfaces with a lightly oiled cloth. In stark contrast, the Kimber Micro .380 I recently purchased (which is supposed to be "close" to the same gun) has very specific instructions on 8 or 9 lube points, some of which specify one drop of oil and some up to 3 drops of oil! Talk about WET!!!! Yes, I use a little needle nose oil dropper bottle.

Each of my guns has very different instructions on how much and where to lube! One says NO GREASE. One says either oil or grease. One has 12 (count 'em) points for a drop of oil each.

If my guns do not function properly or quickly show too much wear on the contact surfaces it will be easy to communicate with the manufacturers because I have exactly followed their instructions And yes, I've done this before - with a Ruger.

In the meantime, y'all read on and enjoy your popcorn.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
When you have failure to feed issues, it's often a good idea to check the overall length of the rounds. SAMMI Specifications for the 9mm Luger round are between 1.000 and 1.169 inches. I load most rounds to about 1.120 OAL. Longer rounds may deflect off the ramp in some pistols during the feed cycle. Double check the OAL of the rounds causing problems.

Also ensure you're giving the pistol good support during cycling. Grip on the P229 may feel different than other narrower guns you may have shot. The recoil forces it uses to load need you to stabilize them with a solid stance and grip.

View attachment 374522
Thanks! Great info.

Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here's my free internet opinion on gun lube; it depends on the gun, the specific parts and the situation. When I started shooting ISPC and IDPA I noticed my oil dried up and evaporated after the second or third stage on a hot day, mostly the barrel oil. So I started using TW25b grease or some other grease on the rails, hammer face and barrel (I'm talking about the outside of the barrel not the rifling in case anyone is new to firearms reading this). Especially on the P series Sigs, I'm trying to reduce wear as much as possible. My all-metal guns, steel slide and aluminum frames, use grease on the high wear/friction areas. Light oil on springs and fire control parts. I've never had an issue running a gun too wet*. I've definitely had issues not having enough lube. So manufacturer advice to very lightly oil is probably good for a carry gun where you don't want debris to collect and the expected round count will be less than a box of 50 until it's lubed again. Use a grease that's firearm specific. I know there are guys who use automotive grease, but in cold weather it may prevent proper slide cycling unless you test it.
*No reason to over lube fire control parts or the firing pin channel. Those will sludge up quickly with dirty ammo.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here's my free internet opinion on gun lube; it depends on the gun, the specific parts and the situation. When I started shooting ISPC and IDPA I noticed my oil dried up and evaporated after the second or third stage on a hot day, mostly the barrel oil. So I started using TW25b grease or some other grease on the rails, hammer face and barrel (I'm talking about the outside of the barrel not the rifling in case anyone is new to firearms reading this). Especially on the P series Sigs, I'm trying to reduce wear as much as possible. My all-metal guns, steel slide and aluminum frames, use grease on the high wear/friction areas. Light oil on springs and fire control parts. I've never had an issue running a gun too wet*. I've definitely had issues not having enough lube. So manufacturer advice to very lightly oil is probably good for a carry gun where you don't want debris to collect and the expected round count will be less than a box of 50 until it's lubed again. Use a grease that's firearm specific. I know there are guys who use automotive grease, but in cold weather it may prevent proper slide cycling unless you test it.
*No reason to over lube fire control parts or the firing pin channel. Those will sludge up quickly with dirty ammo.
Hmm. And that's the rub. My 229 is both my EDC and training weapon - I shoot IDPA once per month, and train at least twice per week (50 rounds now down from 100 per session).
So, given this should I be using a gun grease, Hoppes Black, something else? My CLP has been Gunzilla for years, but I haven't regularly carried/trained with an all-steel gun in a long time. Thanks!

Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Easy, lube it up for range time and matches. Wipe it down for carry. Don't overthink it. Grease the rails and high wear points, less for carry.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I run my Sigs a little wet, I suppose. I honestly don’t think they need a ton of lube to function, but I figure more lube may help protect against wear, in the long run. At least that’s my thought process. I run Lucas oil in mine. It’s a touch thicker than normal oil, so I figure it might offer a touch more protection. I used TB25b for a while... but found it’s not quite as “slippery” as oil. My old P6 would have FTFs from slide lock with just TB25b (though it cycled okay when firing). I figure grease wasn’t really a thing in the days of early P228s, P226s, P225s and P220s and they all worked.

A P229 not running factory ammo doesn’t sound right to me. I dunno, I’d be... less than pleased.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I run my Sigs a little wet, I suppose. I honestly don’t think they need a ton of lube to function, but I figure more lube may help protect against wear, in the long run. At least that’s my thought process. I run Lucas oil in mine. It’s a touch thicker than normal oil, so I figure it might offer a touch more protection. I used TB25b for a while... but found it’s not quite as “slippery” as oil. My old P6 would have FTFs from slide lock with just TB25b (though it cycled okay when firing). I figure grease wasn’t really a thing in the days of early P228s, P226s, P225s and P220s and they all worked.

A P229 not running factory ammo doesn’t sound right to me. I dunno, I’d be... less than pleased.
Normally, yeah I'd be concerned. Especially since the gun is my EDC.

Today I shot 50 rounds of Aguila 124gr, Norma 115gr. This time the Norma was flawless and the Aguila had feed problems, from slide lock and while cycling. Magazines not a factor. Grip is proper.

I have concluded, for now: since ammo like Lawman, Speer Gold Dot (my carry ammo), SIG, etc, runs flawlessly, the gun is likely fine but tight. The Aguila and Norma rounds are recent purchases when I could scrape up some 9mm online. Given that manufacturers are running 24/7, dealing with demand plus COVID, QA might be a bit slack right now and some lots might be slightly out of spec. Yeah, my Glock 19.5 feeds everything. But I'm going to give my 229 a chance and continue training/competing with it. The first time it has trouble with high quality ammo, then it's back to the factory and my G-19 is again my EDC.

What do you all think?

Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What do you think the total round count is on your P229? I understand its a redbox model, but I've seen police turn-ins that were unissued/unfired. I'm aware that the Hk VP-9 and some small pocket Beretta have a recommendation for 124gr (for initial break in, on the VP-9 and use of only 124 in the Beretta). They both have stiff recoil springs. It's possible the bulk ammo isn't cycling the slide hard enough so it's not moving fully rearward. Your P229 should not have these issues wet or dry. If you have over 500 rounds through it and it's still not cycling properly it should go back to Sig for a look. I just sent my P220 with trigger reset issue, I paid $55 for 2 way shipping (I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure how Sig warranty works normally), but I got it back in 3 days with a free new trigger bar. It would annoy me if a range toy wasn't 100%, but you should be confident with your carry gun. My best guess without seeing it fire is low power bulk ammo not cycling the slide hard enough. Maybe they're cutting back on the powder these days. But you mentioned failure to chamber from slide lock? Check for debris behind the extractor claw or a defective claw. So hard to diagnose over the internet :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Aguila had feed problems, from slide lock and while cycling.
A few weeks while doing annual firearm's qualifications at the Academy I was shooting some older Aquila 124 in a 320 RXP. The ammo would barely cycle and I was getting jams from a failure to eject. After several instances I changed ammo to Federal and that ended any issues.

Now I know what they were giving it away. A friend who is one of the employees said that had many issues with this batch and stopped using it for company use. (before the days of inhouse manufacturing) Normally there weren't any issues but they stopped using that manufacturer after numerous instances. Change ammo and see if that is the issue. Unfortunately these days that's not always simple.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What do you think the total round count is on your P229? I understand its a redbox model, but I've seen police turn-ins that were unissued/unfired. I'm aware that the Hk VP-9 and some small pocket Beretta have a recommendation for 124gr (for initial break in, on the VP-9 and use of only 124 in the Beretta). They both have stiff recoil springs. It's possible the bulk ammo isn't cycling the slide hard enough so it's not moving fully rearward. Your P229 should not have these issues wet or dry. If you have over 500 rounds through it and it's still not cycling properly it should go back to Sig for a look. I just sent my P220 with trigger reset issue, I paid $55 for 2 way shipping (I'm not the original owner so I'm not sure how Sig warranty works normally), but I got it back in 3 days with a free new trigger bar. It would annoy me if a range toy wasn't 100%, but you should be confident with your carry gun. My best guess without seeing it fire is low power bulk ammo not cycling the slide hard enough. Maybe they're cutting back on the powder these days. But you mentioned failure to chamber from slide lock? Check for debris behind the extractor claw or a defective claw. So hard to diagnose over the internet :)
Thanks. Honestly, I'm not sure my 229 was EVER fired. There isn't even holster wear on the thing! And I've only put about 175 rounds through it so far. And see, last time out I shot 100 rounds flawlessly, but used Lawman and Fiocchi. If the gun was at fault I would think it would have trouble with any ammo, don't you think? I know Lawman is loaded slightly hot, but I don't think Fiocchi 115gr is.

I'll check the extractor, but I clean the **** out of my weapons after every outing. Without fail. ;)

Cheers.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A few weeks while doing annual firearm's qualifications at the Academy I was shooting some older Aquila 124 in a 320 RXP. The ammo would barely cycle and I was getting jams from a failure to eject. After several instances I changed ammo to Federal and that ended any issues.

Now I know what they were giving it away. A friend who is one of the employees said that had many issues with this batch and stopped using it for company use. (before the days of inhouse manufacturing) Normally there weren't any issues but they stopped using that manufacturer after numerous instances. Change ammo and see if that is the issue. Unfortunately these days that's not always simple.
Exactly. So far, Lawman, Federal, Fiocchi run perfectly in my 229. I HATE sending my guns to the factory, so I'm going to run some of my better stuff and see what happens.

Cheers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
175 rounds is still new! I don't even consider a pistol broken in until AT LEAST 200 rounds, preferably 500 trouble free rounds. I know some say a gun should be reliable out of the box, but that's not reality.
Too bad we're balls deep in the worst ammo shortage in history. I have a buddy who just bought his first pistol, an FNS-9. Nice gun, but he can't find ammo without selling a child.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
175 rounds is still new! I don't even consider a pistol broken in until AT LEAST 200 rounds, preferably 500 trouble free rounds. I know some say a gun should be reliable out of the box, but that's not reality.
Too bad we're balls deep in the worst ammo shortage in history. I have a buddy who just bought his first pistol, an FNS-9. Nice gun, but he can't find ammo without selling a child.
See, now that's what I think too. My 229 is new and tight, especially if it was never issued. Sure, my Glocks run out of the box, but they're polymer and, frankly, not SIGs. Yes, I love my 19.5, but a P229 is a level up I think.

So yeah. My 229 is new and I'm going to work with it. Thanks man!

Cheers.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts