SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just picked up a SIG RedBox P229 Elite, with three magazines and the SRT, for $750. Heck of deal from GunPrime, and it has replaced my Glock 19 as my EDC.

Two questions:
1. Are the all-steel/alloy SIGs considered "wet guns"? In other words, do they require generous lubrication? Hickock45 has a video on Glock cleaning and he uses very little lube. But this is my first P229. I don't mean hose the thing down, so I get that. But how much lube?

2. I shot the 229 today for the first time. First box was Norma 124gr 9mm; off brand from Eastern Europe I think. Runs fine in my G19 but had constant failures to feed in my 229. NO failures to extract, just the round didn't feed properly; partially in the chamber. I'd pull the slide back slightly and release and the round would chamber. Ok.

Box two was Federal 115gr. 50 rounds. Flawless. No stoppages whatsoever. Ok, it's ammo, maybe. Never had that happen in a Glock, but I love the 229 and it will remain my EDC.

Question 2: are SIGs sometimes ammo finicky? I generally run high quality ammo, but these days sometimes I have to try what's available.

Side note. Been training/shooting regularly for 15 years.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Hi all. Just picked up a SIG RedBox P229 Elite, with three magazines and the SRT, for $750. Heck of deal from GunPrime, and it has replaced my Glock 19 as my EDC.

Two questions:
1. Are the all-steel/alloy SIGs considered "wet guns"? In other words, do they require generous lubrication? Hickock45 has a video on Glock cleaning and he uses very little lube. But this is my first P229. I don't mean hose the thing down, so I get that. But how much lube?

2. I shot the 229 today for the first time. First box was Norma 124gr 9mm; off brand from Eastern Europe I think. Runs fine in my G19 but had constant failures to feed in my 229. NO failures to extract, just the round didn't feed properly; partially in the chamber. I'd pull the slide back slightly and release and the round would chamber. Ok.

Box two was Federal 115gr. 50 rounds. Flawless. No stoppages whatsoever. Ok, it's ammo, maybe. Never had that happen in a Glock, but I love the 229 and it will remain my EDC.

Question 2: are SIGs sometimes ammo finicky? I generally run high quality ammo, but these days sometimes I have to try what's available.

Side note. Been training/shooting regularly for 15 years.

Thanks!
Welcome from Texas. I only use name brand ammo in all of My Guns. Too many if ands or buts with Foreign stuff and that's including Blazer. Remington Yello and Black Large packs.

·
Registered
17,747 Posts
1--I tend to run my SIGs a little on the "wet" side. I think it makes them happy.

2--I haven't had ammo issues with any of my P229's, but my P220ST doesn't like WWB ammo. It's just a little too under-powered to cycle the slide.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I like to run all of my Sig a little wet. It cycles better and helps prolong the life of the slide and frame.

Federal, AE, Remington, Blazer, Lawman, Winchester, PPU, Independence, Freedom Munitions ... they all work and no problem.

Reactions: JamesPettigrew

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Sig classic pistols will be tighter in general, and have better chamber support, than Glocks (especially gen 4 and older), which will chamber almost anything...

As for Norma ammo, some of it is made here and some in Europe, they've been around a long time and it's good ammo, so it's possible your Sig just doesn't like the geometry or shape of that particular Norma load. Have you done a plunk test on some of the Norma? Have you checked its specs to see if it's within SAAMI limits?

Don't forget to number your mags- it aids in troubleshooting.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sig classic pistols will be tighter in general, and have better chamber support, than Glocks (especially gen 4 and older), which will chamber almost anything...

As for Norma ammo, some of it is made here and some in Europe, they've been around a long time and it's good ammo, so it's possible your Sig just doesn't like the geometry or shape of that particular Norma load. Have you done a plunk test on some of the Norma? Have you checked its specs to see if it's within SAAMI limits?

Don't forget to number your mags- it aids in troubleshooting.

Thank you for the suggestions. A plunk test is a good idea. In general I've found Eastern European ammo to be very good. But you're right. SIG tolerances are not Glock tolerances. I think the gun is fine; I just need to work within it's parameters. And even after a good cleaning, the rails and slide still feel a bit dry. Perhaps just trial, error and usage...

Cheers

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
10,414 Posts
There's "Wet", and then there's proper lubrication! Use grease (light coat) where metal slides on metal, and oil, where metal turns or rotates on metal. Grease stays put and doesn't run off, or get slung off, that's why just a "little dab will do you"! Considering that pistols normally are carried with the slides "vertical". and the "rails" running vertically too, the oil will succumb to gravity, but grease stays in place, so "wet" isn't needed!

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's "Wet", and then there's proper lubrication! Use grease (light coat) where metal slides on metal, and oil, where metal turns or rotates on metal. Grease stays put and doesn't run off, or get slung off, that's why just a "little dab will do you"! Considering that pistols normally are carried with the slides "vertical". and the "rails" running vertically too, the oil will succumb to gravity, but grease stays in place, so "wet" isn't needed!
Excellent idea. Thanks!

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Grease vs. gun oil? Depends on where you are. If you are in the desert or dusty environment. Grease collects the dirt/sand/grit and turns it into lapping compound... I use Slip2000EWL on all of my firearms. Works great. SIG recommends/now includes Lucas lubricant samples with its pistolas...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I run all my Sigs very "wet" with white lithium grease. After the first shot, any excess grease will blow off. As far as my Sigs being ammo sensitive, I never experiences and operational failures except with steel cased ammo. I suspect that if you run your Sig, any issue will smooth itself out. The other remedy may be to do a light polishing of the feed ramp and inside barrel chamber. I usually will use my polishing rag with Flitz and polish those areas.
You have a fine pistol and I am confident all is fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Grease vs. gun oil? Depends on where you are. If you are in the desert or dusty environment. Grease collects the dirt/sand/grit and turns it into lapping compound... I use Slip2000EWL on all of my firearms. Works great. SIG recommends/now includes Lucas lubricant samples with its pistolas...
I second the use of Slip2000 ... I use the EWG for my rails via a needle applicator. EWL for coating barrel and other friction points. Great stuff

·
Registered
710 Posts
For years the misinformation of running Sig handguns wet has been going around. It certainly didn't come from those in the company.

Only oil is used in the Academy..Slip2000 to be exact. Little is used. Just enough to get a sheen on the parts. Flooding the gun does little except attract dirt.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have been using Lucas Gun grease. In the heat of Arizona oil seems to evaporate and I clean and oil at least once a month or after every range visit. The grease is a little messy to clean up when cleaning because its good and stuck there but the gun runs great and No Rattle! :)

I have always run full rail metal guns wet. I carried 1911's for a good while and always kept them on the wet side but never used grease before now.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. A plunk test is a good idea. In general I've found Eastern European ammo to be very good. But you're right. SIG tolerances are not Glock tolerances. I think the gun is fine; I just need to work within it's parameters. And even after a good cleaning, the rails and slide still feel a bit dry. Perhaps just trial, error and usage...

Cheers
Seeing that it is a Red Box, it is doubtful you know the actual born on date. You may have a newer model of the P229 that has not been properly broken in and just needs more time and rounds through it. Who knows, it may have been returned to the factory hardly ever being shot in the first place.

Congrats and welcome!

Reactions: BossHog18

·
Registered
139 Posts
I run my Sig's a bit wet. Grease the rail's to prevent wear! This past weekend I was shooting my P228 and had a least 5 or 6 failure to fire. I was using some 10 year old Independence Ammo. That's the first time I recall that happening in my P228. This weekend I'll take it out with 2 or 3 different band ammo. Winchester, Federal and Remington UMC. This is my every day carry. I need to know if it's the ammo or the gun. I'll try the independence ammo in my P229 to see if it fire's. The casing's had some greenish gunk on them. I'll bet it's the ammo.

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P 229 Elite
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I run all my Sigs very "wet" with white lithium grease. After the first shot, any excess grease will blow off. As far as my Sigs being ammo sensitive, I never experiences and operational failures except with steel cased ammo. I suspect that if you run your Sig, any issue will smooth itself out. The other remedy may be to do a light polishing of the feed ramp and inside barrel chamber. I usually will use my polishing rag with Flitz and polish those areas.
You have a fine pistol and I am confident all is fine.
Awesome. Thanks very much for the suggestions. Indeed it is a fine pistol. I'm stunned I found one in the current climate.
Cheers!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Use a little Lubriplate grease and you will be good to go. Lubriplate is calcium based and needs no additives like lithium based grease needs.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts