SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy to forum. Have a bunch of pistols, Kimber, Glock, Ruger, Browning, but just ordered my first Sig today.

I was at the gun shop last week and handled a Sig 220 Equinox and a Sig 226 Equinox in .40 cal. I loved how they felt in my hand, but wanted a 9mm. Almost pulled the trigger on the .40 cal, but hated to have to inventory another caliber and trying to restrict future purchases to either 9mm or .45

The more I researched on them, the more intrigued I became. Real tough to locate a high capacity 9mm in todays enviroment, but finally located one and completed the paperwork at my FFL. Hopefully, I'll have it in my hand early next week. If I had the serial # I would just call Sig.

The pistol is a Sig P229 Elite Dark in 9mm E29R-9-DSE

It must be a recent production and will come with the 13rd mags. I'm trying to locate some more mags and aware that MEC-GAR makes the 13rd mag for Sig with the Sig Stamp on them. I would take those, but would like to find the Mec-gar 15rd mags.

I haven't found either in stock, but will keep looking. I wanted to verify that I am looking for the right magazines. I know that Mec-gar has the flush fit 15 rd and allows (2) additional rounds because of improved and patented spring and follower.

Question- Can anyone confirm that the P228 and P229 magazines are compatitable?

I viewed some Sig P229 mags on the web in 15rd and they were stamped Sig? It is my understanding that only Mec-gar can sell the 15rd? They are under contract with Sig to produce the 13rd for the P229 and only those should show the Sig stamp?

Item # was sigp229915 and they also showed sigp229913 which seem accurate but the photo didn't show the Sig stamp and the 15rd one did, which seemed odd.

The mec-gar item # was mgp22815b (blued) and mgp228915n (anti-friction)

The Mec-gar #'s seem right, but makes me wonder about compatability of mags that fit the P228 and P229 in 9mm.

I burned more time than I want to admit locating the gun and just want to make sure I'm searching for the right magazine(s). I can't even find the mags on gunbroker and most shops aren't even accepting back-orders. I live in Ct and feel I have a short window, possibly early March, where they might restrict future purchases of high cap mags. Would hate to have that beautiful gun and only two mags. I searched for info in the forum and couldn't find the exact info I'm looking for. Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
56,248 Posts
228 & older 229/9 mags won't fit the new 229/9, after 2010, which takes 229-1 mags.

welcome from az

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response bearone2.

So, I need to look for the 229-1 mags. I thought I viewed them somewhere and saw mention that they were for the one piece or E2 grips? I guess I thought wrong.

Would it be safe to assume that the newer mags are interchangeable with the newer 228 ? I see most advertised as 228/229 and will watch for the (1) designation.

Or, are you saying that any mags with the 228/229 designation are for the older platform and search should be focused on only 229-1 ? Thx again for your help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
They have to be the 229-1 mags. My LGS has several...for now.

The old style will fit but, they are loose and not recommended.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for chipping in guys. Almost feel like I'm getting more confused.

I've only seen the 229-1 mags advertised to specifically fit the E2 grip. say the P229 Enhanced Elite. I assumed the E2 grip being a one piece design had larger internal dimensions, thus different clips?

Trying to clarify, Do they have a 229-1 mag and then another 229-1 mag made only for the E2 and designated as so?

For example, at topgun they only show a 15 rd clip in 9mm designated 228/229 or 15 rd clip in 9mm designated 229-1. The 229-1 is footnoted that it only works with E2 grip.

The 15 is flush fit and I was surprised they make a 17 . Sorry for all the confusion, Tough time to learn a new model with dealers super busy and low to no stock.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The mags you will get will have 229-1 stamped on them if that's what it takes. The 229-1 is wider to fit the larger mag well. I believe all of the 229's manufactured after 2010 are E2, though I might be incorrect.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks Dozer for your help.

I was thinking that I need to find out if the 229's built after 2010 are E2. I feel that is not the case. The one piece or grips without visible screws are the E2, like the Enhanced Elite.

I won't have my gun till next week. It is my understanding that the older Sig P229 came with 2 (15rd) clips. The new most recent Sig P229 comes with 2 (13rd) clips.

My new Sig P229 is coming with 2 (13 rd) clips. I'm guessing, but I think they switched to the 13's mid to late summer?

This is what topgun says. Might help to explain my continued confusion.

SIG SAUER P229 E2 15 round magazine for 9mm E2 P229 models. These magazines will not fit P228's or P229 9mm's that typically use 9mm 13RD magazines. The E2 and some of the recent P229 9mm models use a .40S&W frame which has a larger diameter magazine well. Matte phosphate finish.

I'll be honest. First time I ever bought a gun on the net. Like most guys, I go in for ammo or to shoot at my locals range. Extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and I end up wandering over to the counter. After a couple let me see that, what's this, something catches my fancy and an impulse buy is in progress. Give me a couple clips, what do you rec'd for a holster and your out the door $1k + poorer.

Next time I go, I might see what they will give me for My Kimber .45 Crimson Carry as a trade for the Sig P220 Equinox that got this whole thing started. I just loved that gun and how it fit my hand. I just had to make it difficult because I wanted a 9mm. Looking forward to running the Elite Dark through it's paces when it arrives. From what I've read, I'll be smiling.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It looks like I need the 229-1 which fits in the E2 model and all P229's made after Dec 2010.

Doesn't sound right that this is the only option if reliablity could be an issue. Any one else have a newer P229 and experienced problems or is this a non issue?

Got this from the gregcote sight.

Sig P228 or P229 15 round flush fit 9mm Mec-Gar magazine with a nickel finish. This magazine holds 2 more rounds than the standard factory magazine but it still fits flush with the grip. Mec-Gar makes the Sig Sauer factory P228 and P229 9mm magazines, you get the same quality magazine for a lot less money.

The Sig Sauer P229 E2 9mm and Sig P229 made from late December 2010 now has a wider magwell which is the same a the Sig Sauer P229 .40/.357. For those pistols you need to use a Sig Sauer P229-1 magazine. While these will lock in to place they will have some play in the magwell that may cause reliability issues. These magazines are for the P228 or P229 9mm that have the narrower magwell.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Older .40 229 mags will work with newer .40 229s, correct?
From what I can tell, the older mags will fit in the new models, but the new mags with the 229-1 designation are to wide for the older model 9mm.

I would think you're good on the .40 and only the 9mm is a concern. It looks like Sig modified the new P229 frame on the 9mm to match the .40/.357, possibly to save cost. They designated this E2.

Some people say the E2 has one piece grips. Some of them do, but I'm thinking it refers to the frame. If you change grips, your mags don't change.

I believe I can use either as well as you. The confusion started with topgun saying the 229-1 doesn't fit with the new p229 that comes with 13rd mag. On the Sig site the new P229 that I bought comes with the 13rd mags. In addition, gregcote might have it backwords that the 229-1 mag is loose. The P228/229 older style should be loose. And the new 229-1 should fit nice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's my understanding that the 13 round mags are for the older 229 9mm and the 15 round mags are for the newer 229s with the larger magwell.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I would be interested in seeing what 13rd mags your gun will come with. If your gun is a recent 9mm P229, then it should be built on the .40/.357 P229 frame which takes a P229-1 9mm mag. The P229-1 mag has the same profile as the .40/.357 mag (both old and current ones) which is wider at the bottom and tapers in for the top third of the mag to the width of the old P228/P229(9mm) mag, which has straight sides.

The problem is I have not seen or heard of 13rd P229-1 mags. They are only 15rd as far as I know. You are correct that the old P228/P229 mags made and marked by Mec-Gar with the straight sides is 15rd by a change in the spring and follower from the old 13rd Mec-Gar made but SIG Sauer marked mags. Because the old 13rd mags have straight sides, they are narrower at the bottom than the P229-1 mags so that there is some slight wiggle there so I would be surprised if SIG shipped new P229s with them.

P228/P229 mag on left, P229 .40/.357 (same profile as P229-1) on right. Note these are German-made mags (zipper back left, dovetail right), not Mec-Gar, but the relative profiles are the same.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks wgsigs for posting the pics. My order confirm says E29R-9-DSE. I looked at the Sig Site and all of the 229 models begin with (E) which I now believe designates the newer E2 frame. Combo of errors , but I might have assumed the E stood for Elite and 29 was the last two numbers of 229 ?

Now, I'm a newbie and learning about Sig, but it looks like older models had 13 rd mags made by Mec-Gar for Sig. Sig then switched to 15 and back to 13, on some models. Mec-gar produces a 13rd for Sig, stamped Sig Sauer and a patented 15rd mag under Mec-gar. Some people assume the 13rd are the older models, but Sigs website identifies the new E29R-9-DSE comes with the 13rd mags.

I found a ton of links googling this , but they seem to die, have conflicting statements and no real conclusion. I assume it's okay to post links. For those interested, this article might help alleviate some confusion.

Handgun Review: the SIG Sauer P229 E2 | GunGunsGuns.net

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have used 228 & 229 mags. in the newer larger magwell gun. They did work fine, but have since bought the 229-1 mags. I didn't know the difference either. I use the the older mags for the range, the 229-1 mags. for carry or defence. That being said, I have not had one jam with the older mags in the larger magwell.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
This P229 magazine thing will be cleared up when your Black P229 gets in your hands, and not until then.

1. Greg Cote was talking about the older 13 round magazines being loose in the newer larger frame. Did you notice that Greg Cote did not have any of the 15 rounders? They are all sold to SIG.

2. When your new pistol comes and has two 15 round magazines instead of the 13 rounds everything will be much clearer. If your new black pistol has 13 round magazines then it will also have the old short extractor I think, along with the old German smaller frame that uses 13 rounds.

3. It will be news to me if the new 9mm P229's go back to 13 rounds in the larger magwell. The SIG Sauer factory must really have a severe magazine shortage for this to be the case.

4. Bottom line for you. Mec-Gar magazines are the best made for use in the SIG pistol in my view and I would try to get my hands on extra Mec-Gar's if you can find any. You just can't find 15 rounders anywhere except the SIG Sauer ones.

Enjoy your new pistol, shoot it lots :)

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Thanks wgsigs for posting the pics. My order confirm says E29R-9-DSE. I looked at the Sig Site and all of the 229 models begin with (E) which I now believe designates the newer E2 frame. Combo of errors , but I might have assumed the E stood for Elite and 29 was the last two numbers of 229 ?

Now, I'm a newbie and learning about Sig, but it looks like older models had 13 rd mags made by Mec-Gar for Sig. Sig then switched to 15 and back to 13, on some models. Mec-gar produces a 13rd for Sig, stamped Sig Sauer and a patented 15rd mag under Mec-gar. Some people assume the 13rd are the older models, but Sigs website identifies the new E29R-9-DSE comes with the 13rd mags.

I found a ton of links googling this , but they seem to die, have conflicting statements and no real conclusion. I assume it's okay to post links. For those interested, this article might help alleviate some confusion.

Handgun Review: the SIG Sauer P229 E2 | GunGunsGuns.net
Welcome to the forum.
That said.... f the mag question and start explaining the babe!:cool:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have the 229 extreme made aug 2012 which uses the 229-1 magazines. Came with the 15 rd mags and I was able to get 2 mec-gar 17 rd mags before the craziness. If you browse topgunsupply you will see they mention if a magazine won't work if the gun came with a 13-rd magazine or if it won't work if it originally came with a 15-rd magazine. Or just search on p229-1.

The 17 rd mags are very nice, made in Italy, afc. However the last round is quite difficult to get in. It's actually easier to load that last one without a loader and just using your fingers.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Pivotpoint, please let us know and post pictures as I would like this mystery of the 13rd mags solved.

fjgiie, that is surprising news about the 15rd P229-1 mags. I bought one about 2 months ago off of GunBroker, but later discovered Greg Cote had them for about the same price. I should have picked up a few when I had the chance.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts