SIG Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
and for you older guys ... Not a holster so maybe doesnt belong here but

a bag in tribute of Racer X the arch nemesis but family member of Speed racer. My wife has been using this going on 8-9 years

Peaked cap Snow boot Boot Costume hat Tints and shades

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Ok so I got to the 226 holster that has been on my mind. Like I mentioned in the first post I hadnt worked through all the details so I wasnt ready to share but .. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Now keep in mind I made it for me as a test piece and the shoemaker always has the holey shoes so its maybe not as polished as I make for sale but

I have a blackpoint leather wing that is so far my favorite kydex holster ever. Paddles print to bad even though I love their convenience. I tried a handful of the pancake style pancakes and hated them.

Im not an IWB guy except for certain occasions. The problem with the leather wing blackpoints is the "wings" are singly ply of what looks like harness leather. Good stuff but after a bit I noticed the wings soften up a good deal and the holster can lean away from the body. I also thought the overall holster width with wings used to much belt real estate. You really think about how much extra material you have against your body when you live somewhere that can often reach 107 degrees and better.

I think this one addresses Willards concern about comfort and my personal need for good retention since I ride a motorcycle.

No great shakes but what I did was take one of my existing patterns and modify it a touch and used Plastic belt loops like those found on kydex holsters instead of cutting in belt slots. Been wearing it with the loaded 226 for a week now.

Camera accessory Bumper Cameras & optics Gadget Motor vehicle

Gas Denim Electric blue Handgun holster Gun accessory

Sleeve Bumper Denim Personal protective equipment Electric blue

Bag Denim Rectangle Font Sleeve

Hood Textile Bag Yellow Denim

Hand Shoe Sleeve Waist Luggage and bags

So it is still a 50/50 holster and offers all the retention that that brings but the loops have the back side more gently pull into your side than a similar holster with belt slots cut in. While it still pulls in the ends of the holster it isnt the same hard bend.

It isnt as comfortable as a full flat back but 10 times more comfortable than a 50/50 with belt slots. Since the "wings" are two ply of leather I have had ZERO bobble. Sticks to your side just a touch less than a holster with belt slots but really not enough to matter and you gain a good deal more comfort.I did a 4 mile hike and .. forgot it was there but I always carry a gun hiking anyway. Nice not to have the grip get caught on anything though!

Even with a loaded 226 I can wear it all day without bothering me at all. Doesnt pull your pants down since it is so close to the body. It rides pretty high and definitely higher than the blackpoint. The clips I bought didnt have two holes so I had to drill it out which looks like a mess but I did find two hole belt loops. This is just a test holster anyway. Kind of a proof of concept for me.

If you flip the clips it will ride a touch lower depending on your preferences.

Im loving it and will be making one for my glock and 229. Going to spend a month with this one and see how it goes. It is one ply of 8 ounce shoulder which is very rigid stuff from the supply place I buy but if I go with it later I will make double layer.

Will be testing it tomorrow doing drills with a buddy out in the desert!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
I kind of like it. But I tend to wear mine OWB and no T, so there’s bare skin above the pants. That means I look for holsters that have a back that protects both me and the weapon. Hard to find those.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just sharing. I had the mold a while but just never got around to using it. I will be doing something new for the 226 as well but I am playing with a new idea so I am not ready to share.

Anyway for you guys that like leather .. just thought I would share. Sorry I dont take orders anymore so .. this is just because I am happy with how it came out.

It is 2 ply. So I glue 2 pieces of 4/5 ounce leather back to back. It has the benefit of making the holster more rigid over a far longer time than most leather holsters and it has your gun against nice clean smooth leather. its much nicer to a guns finish than Suede like materials or even burnished flesh side. The two pieces work kind of like plywood so it is firm and is somewhere between 8 and 10 ounces thick. This guy is for a P229R and I sewed it by hand with Gray stitching which should look really cool with the Hogue Piranha Black and grey grips but being kind of neutral it should look good with E2 grips or ??

Its all sewn by me by hand using an awl and a stitching pony and some .040 thread.

If there are any other leather workers here ... lets see your work!

Anyway .. no one wants to hear me babble .. here are some pix

View attachment 415164

View attachment 415165

View attachment 415166

View attachment 415167

View attachment 415168
Very nice. Good job
As I always say ..:
Friends don't let friends wear kydex.. 😀

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Well it is in the gear section so how about some knife sheaths!! Love making them but never got a ton of orders. I guess most people use whatever came with the knife.

Wood Missile Everyday carry Musical instrument Metal

Hand Outerwear Arm Textile Sleeve

Wood Font Human leg Art Metal

Font Wood Everyday carry Rectangle Jewellery

Cross draw for a terzuola something or other and one for a little knife I can no longer remember. Getting old ya know

Outdoor shoe Boot Personal protective equipment Sleeve Human leg

Shoe Grey Font Personal protective equipment Metal

and then a giant zombie killing thing .. I am not judgy!! Who isnt waiting for the zombie apocalypse

Tool Knife Material property Utility knife Blade

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P226 Elite and P365 XL
322 Posts
Well it is in the gear section so how about some knife sheaths!! Love making them but never got a tom of orders. I guess most people use whatever came with the knife.

View attachment 418268

View attachment 418269

View attachment 418270

View attachment 418271

Cross draw for a terzuola something or other and one for a little knife I can no longer remember. Getting old ya know

View attachment 418272

View attachment 418273

and then a giant zombie killing thing .. I am not judgy!! Who isnt waiting for the zombie apocalypse

View attachment 418274
I would need to start saving up for a $2K knife to do those sheaths justice! Beautiful craftsmanship, wow!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Something a little different and certainly wont appeal to everyone but .. Just finished this one for a 226. This one is a single layer. Shoulder that started out 3.6mm thick. Its my dragon scales and the red is showing a bit REDDER than it actually is. It is a combination of red, oxblood and Mahogany on a black body sewn with dark brown thread.

Figure its a sig so its relevant.

Synthetic rubber Automotive lighting Carbon Automotive design Personal protective equipment

Font Triangle Sportswear Personal protective equipment Automotive design

Helmet Cap Flash photography Automotive design Bag

Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Helmet Grille

Automotive lighting Automotive design Tints and shades Automotive exterior Grille

Hand Shoe Glove Leg Sports gear

21 - 31 of 31 Posts