SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just sharing. I had the mold a while but just never got around to using it. I will be doing something new for the 226 as well but I am playing with a new idea so I am not ready to share.

Anyway for you guys that like leather .. just thought I would share. Sorry I dont take orders anymore so .. this is just because I am happy with how it came out.

It is 2 ply. So I glue 2 pieces of 4/5 ounce leather back to back. It has the benefit of making the holster more rigid over a far longer time than most leather holsters and it has your gun against nice clean smooth leather. its much nicer to a guns finish than Suede like materials or even burnished flesh side. The two pieces work kind of like plywood so it is firm and is somewhere between 8 and 10 ounces thick. This guy is for a P229R and I sewed it by hand with Gray stitching which should look really cool with the Hogue Piranha Black and grey grips but being kind of neutral it should look good with E2 grips or ??

Its all sewn by me by hand using an awl and a stitching pony and some .040 thread.

If there are any other leather workers here ... lets see your work!

Anyway .. no one wants to hear me babble .. here are some pix

·
Registered
Sig Sauer P226 Elite and P365 XL
336 Posts
Just sharing. I had the mold a while but just never got around to using it. I will be doing something new for the 226 as well but I am playing with a new idea so I am not ready to share.

Anyway for you guys that like leather .. just thought I would share. Sorry I dont take orders anymore so .. this is just because I am happy with how it came out.

It is 2 ply. So I glue 2 pieces of 4/5 ounce leather back to back. It has the benefit of making the holster more rigid over a far longer time than most leather holsters and it has your gun against nice clean smooth leather. its much nicer to a guns finish than Suede like materials or even burnished flesh side. The two pieces work kind of like plywood so it is firm and is somewhere between 8 and 10 ounces thick. This guy is for a P229R and I sewed it by hand with Gray stitching which should look really cool with the Hogue Piranha Black and grey grips but being kind of neutral it should look good with E2 grips or ??

Its all sewn by me by hand using an awl and a stitching pony and some .040 thread.

If there are any other leather workers here ... lets see your work!

Anyway .. no one wants to hear me babble .. here are some pix

View attachment 415164

View attachment 415165

View attachment 415166

View attachment 415167

View attachment 415168
A masterpiece boriqua. I would love to hear you babble over a couple more pieces. This is hand made stuff!!! You should be proud.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey Boriqua..

Yes, I make holsters, however, not to the high standard of yours!
I'm too lazy. I use single layer 8/10oz and burnish the inside.
Mine are hand sewn but the holes are made with stitching chisels, not an awl (I would hurt myself).
Here's one for my P365.

And one for my M11-A1
I tried to make this one blend in with my blue jeans.
If you look closely, you may be able to see that I embossed the leather with a canvas texture to mimic fabric,
then used a streaky dye application to further mimic my jeans.

Leather work is a rewarding hobby.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Boriqua..

Yes, I make holsters, however, not to the high standard of yours!
I'm too lazy. I use single layer 8/10oz and burnish the inside.
Mine are hand sewn but the holes are made with stitching chisels, not an awl (I would hurt myself).
Here's one for my P365.

View attachment 415216

And one for my M11-A1
I tried to make this one blend in with my blue jeans.
If you look closely, you may be able to see that I embossed the leather with a canvas texture to mimic fabric,
then used a streaky dye application to further mimic my jeans.

View attachment 415224

Leather work is a rewarding hobby.
Your stitch lines are dead on! I see so many rather pricey holsters with the stitch line far to far away from the gun and it is THE most important part of the construction. Will make it a loose fit in no time. Yours look great!

Love that denim look! Very very cool.

I started leather work as a hobby in 1991. My career was in the design and production of museum environments and commercial exhibits.

Still kept doing leather in the rare spare time. When I decided to get out of the rat race about 8 years ago I made leather work a full time gig. Probably have made a thousand holsters but I also do bags, wallets, saddlebags, knife sheaths and more. I stopped taking one off custom orders about six months ago. Next I want to do carved motorcycle seats and I am teaching myself pin stripe.

Now I make a few leather things a month and put them up for general sale. I have some customers who have bought a ton of stuff over the years so I always take their orders and if someone contacts me with something cool and it feels like it might be fun I will take it. Just finished a holster with a day of the dead motif.... Took it because it was a local and I thought it would be fun!
Alex

·
Registered
245 Posts
Your stitch lines are dead on! I see so many rather pricey holsters with the stitch line far to far away from the gun and it is THE most important part of the construction. Will make it a loose fit in no time. Yours look great!

Love that denim look! Very very cool.
Thanks for the compliments!
I have only been doing leather work for around 10 years and probably make only 2 projects per year, so maybe 20 holsters.

BTW, using Gray thread on your project, was brilliant. It looks more sophisticated and elegant than pure white. I love it.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
12,272 Posts
Congratulations! Nice job, but you didn't provide a look at the back side! Reason I ask, was did you do the majority of molding to the outside, allowing a smoother body hugging design such as the Galco Concealable, or Mitch Rosen President Express design?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Congratulations! Nice job, but you didn't provide a look at the back side! Reason I ask, was did you do the majority of molding to the outside, allowing a smoother body hugging design such as the Galco Concealable, or Mitch Rosen President Express design?
This particular one is a fifty fifty. I do make flat backs as well. Your right .. I have found the flat backs are indeed more comfortable but the fifty fifty has a bit more retention so it boils down to intended use. I am a motorcycle guy so when I make something for myself I do fifty fifty but if some one is going to wear it as a daily all day ccw they will probably find the flat back more comfortable especially dependent on body type.

I have personally worn any design I make over a fair period if time and over the years made adjustments. When I took custom orders my first question was always " how do you intend to use it" with hunting gear I may use a different finish treatment than I would for a ccw guy

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So here is an example of what willard is talking about, if I understood him right, for those of you that may not have seen one since holsters are usually shot from above.
Its for a glock 19 for a LEO that wanted an off duty holster. Because of the way I construct it there is a natural bend to the back side and the back which is against the body is mostly flat. It is a bit more trouble to make but it is very comfortable but not perfect for everyone.

Brown Wood Comfort Flooring Rectangle

Wood Hardwood Flooring Eyewear Tool

And what I mean about asking the client intended use. Guy comes to me and wants a holster for his redhawk. He hunts handgun. BIG guy that wants to be able to get in his truck, get on an ATV and then walk a few miles and ultimately squat in cover to take a shot.

So i came up with a belt attachment that would allow the holster to be tied off and would move with his thigh. With the upper d ring he could go from walking to sitting and the holster would never get in the way. It would just move with his thigh. There is a steel rod bent and framed across the front of the HEAVY gun and the strap behind the hammer is just extra protection since the gun cant fall out with the steel rod alone. It is finished with a wax I make that I know will not soften the leather. Wax is repairable where acrylic once scratched is scratched. The wax can be slightly warmed and you can rub out most scratches with your thumb. I figured if he is wandering around in our AZ dessert or northern forests .. its going to see scratches. The wax is acually better with water repellency and having bees wax in it will keep the holster leather stiff for years. I supply a small tin of the wax for touch ups but wouldnt consider acrylic a suitable out in the boonie finish.

Showed it to me a little bit ago after some 6 years of use .. except for the hammer strap looking worn you would think the holster was 6 months old. Custom means Custom!

Shoe Eyewear Luggage and bags Bag Everyday carry

Sleeve Wood Rectangle Wallet Bag

Tool Metal Fashion accessory Electric blue Bicycle part

Bag Everyday carry Revolver Luggage and bags Tints and shades

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Very nice.

I note you use belt slots. I tend to be partial to snaps, as I like to be able to take the holster off and on without having to unwind the belt. Just my preference. I have over the years worn mostly slides as I have a friend who makes them for me. They seem to take up less room on the belt, the snaps are widely enough spaced to spread the weight better, and overall they are less fuss. But I have a Mitch Rosen (?) Presidential (the one with the snaps). I haven't found a decent mag carrier that isn't kydex though.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very nice.

I note you use belt slots. I tend to be partial to snaps, as I like to be able to take the holster off and on without having to unwind the belt. Just my preference. I have over the years worn mostly slides as I have a friend who makes them for me. They seem to take up less room on the belt, the snaps are widely enough spaced to spread the weight better, and overall they are less fuss. But I have a Mitch Rosen (?) Presidential (the one with the snaps). I haven't found a decent mag carrier that isn't kydex though.
Snap cakes .. you mean like these! :)
Made a bunch of those as well. Some designs I just stopped making because I didnt believe in the design. I stopped making the flat IWB that were popular for a while because I just didnt think it was a good design and stuck with more Taco styles for IWB but .. there arent many designs I wouldnt do for someone if they asked and some I did for gereal sale just because. I like avenger style holsters as well and have done a fair amount of Cowboy stuff which is interesting for a guy born in Brooklyn!!

Funny you should mention a mag holder. I just sent out a Mag holder for a CZ97 that is very similar to the holsters below except for .. its a mag pouch. also with the double one way dot snaps.
Synthetic rubber Fender Composite material Human leg Metal

Product Wood Musical instrument Bag Luggage and bags

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like I offered above .. If anyone wants to get started or has started but has some questions .. hit me up on PM. I am always ready to share whatever little knowledge I may have. Leather seems to be going the way of the Doo doo with kydex around but then .. people keep telling me 40S&W is dead too and I dont believe them either :D

Here is my very expensive sewing setup ..

Plant Lectern Building Wood Table

Wood Cutlery Musical instrument Kitchen utensil Tree

And it helps me make this kinda stuff. You retire and think it will all be wonderful but .. a man needs something to do!

The inlay is from a rather expensive panama Straw hat and the thread is called Havana Cigar by the manufacturer and does look kinda like a cigar wrapping.

Brown Grey Wood Font Electric blue

A badge wallet for a wonderful repeat customer who was heart broken when I told him I wasnt doing custom stuff anymore. He also got a handcuff case and knife pouch. Young guy but loved the old basketweave gear.

Rectangle Carbon Gadget Electric blue Metal

Sleeve Jersey Cap Sportswear Font

Wood Rectangle Everyday carry Font Hardwood

No order to challenging .. guy said he wasted his state flag represented. I think its tennessee and something about orange. Maybe its the collage team or something. it was a while ago. So

Cap Hood Automotive design Baseball cap Umbrella

and while I kind of hate this design because I think a mag pouch on the gun is silly .. if that is what you want. Only real criteria beside that is that it needed to snap on and off and it needed to be as thin as possible. Dont know why .. he is a buddy and couch potato. So I kept it narrow by building up the welt to make room. You can see why I hate edge paint .. it would have lost that nifty look of the layers.

Brown Sleeve Textile Electric blue Bag

Brown Textile Sleeve Shotgun Wood

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Yes!!! That’s what I’m talking about. Only difference is I prefer the belt strap to go in over the top of the belt, down the back then up from below. Even though Tooth also uses the one wavy locking snaps, this way IF the snaps came undone the holster theld in place by belt tension. Sort of a belt& suspenders approach.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes!!! That’s what I’m talking about. Only difference is I prefer the belt strap to go in over the top of the belt, down the back then up from below. Even though Tooth also uses the one wavy locking snaps, this way IF the snaps came undone the holster theld in place by belt tension. Sort of a belt& suspenders approach.
I have always preferred running them down because I think that up they are easier to inadvertently pop especially if you carry a bit around the middle but .. there is no wrong way ..just what someone prefers and if he is using the one way snaps you are good to go! Those one way snaps are kind of expensve but worth it. Years ago when I started using DOT snaps instead of something like tandy .. I never looked back. They offer locking and regular and the quality is amazing.

I had to buy a minimum when I bought mine but it looks like they are available on Amazon and from them at lower quantities.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts