SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a California Compliant Sig P229 40S&W that has the Loaded Chamber Indicator on top of the slide and magazine disconnect safety. I wanted the option to convert it to 357 Sig, so I also purchased a 357 Sig barrel directly from Sig Sauer since the website indicated that it will fit a .40 Auto P229. Unfortunately, the replacement barrel does not fit because of the Loaded Chamber Indicator. The 40S&W barrel has a slot to accommodate the Loaded Chamber Indicator while the replacement 357 Sig barrel does not have the slot. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Caliber X-change Kit 357 Sig would work with a California Compliant Sig P229 40SW. I tried calling Sig but it seems they are busy all day. I may just have a gunsmith create a groove on the replacement barrel if that is the best option. I would appreciate any insight. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
LeoSig, welcome to the forum, from the southwest corner of Indiana. I suggest you contact Sig back to check on "exchanging" it for the proper one. They due offer their replacement barrels, with the LCI modification. If you haven't done anything to the barrel you initially received, they may swap it out. Having a local gunsmith do something like that, on a replacement barrel "could" void the warranty.

·
Registered
14,538 Posts
When You got the New Barrel, did You go thru a local Gun Store or Contact Sig Direct?
If it was thru contacting Sig did You do it online or thru a Customer Service Rep ?
Either of the ways thru Sig, They Should have noticed that Your Address Was California
and They SHOULD Have Sent the correct barrel.
If it was Sig, I'd call Them and Explain what happened. I'm sure They will exchange it for the Correct barrel. Good Luck !

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
Is the 357 caliber on the accepted list in Commiefornia?
If it isn't, then you may have a problem.

Reactions: Superwoody

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Happy to join the Sig forum. I will try contacting Sig again and will try to get the correct replacement barrel since I bought it online from their Sig web store. I didn't modify the barrel so I'm hoping that they can send me the correct one with LCI. Sig also sells a conversion kit for 357 Sig that is available for Commiefornia :) so I believe that the 357 Sig caliber is CA compliant. In any event, I will verify with Sig when I talk to them. Thanks again everyone for your insight and will post an update later.

·
Registered
300 Posts
eventually the LCI and mag disconnected will break and and in some cases mysteriously disappear, happened to me time and time again.
or buy a 220 or 239 and none of the silly stuff appears on the slide.
welcome!

Reactions: bblr

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spoke with Sig customer support today and found out that there is no 357 Sig replacement barrel that has the slot to accommodate the LCI on my P229. Disappointing, but I decided not to return the barrel, at least not yet, until I get more information on what it takes to create the slot for the LCI. The Sig rep indicated that creating the slot will void the warranty only on the barrel.

@not_applicable, the thought of the LCI and mag disconnect eventually breaking is something that crossed my mind, which now after reading your post, would make me hesitant to choose my P229 for home defense. I do have a P220 45 Auto and you are correct that it does not have the LCI. Aesthetically better and potentially more reliable.

@bblr, removing the LCI is something I am considering but it would certainly void the warranty and not sure if there are legal ramifications if used for personal defense, but it would certainly make me feel better giving the mid finger to Sacramento :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I hope you can work something out because my 229 has worked flawless with the 357S barrel. I put one in as soon as they were available and have shot about 300 rounds through it maintaining in service qualification.

·
Registered
300 Posts
forgot to mention that i got .357 conversion kits for my 226 & 229, and none of the silly stuff is there, it's cheaper than a new purchase, but that's half the fun with SIGs.

Reactions: LeoSig

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
forgot to mention that i got .357 conversion kits for my 226 & 229, and none of the silly stuff is there, it's cheaper than a new purchase, but that's half the fun with SIGs.
Glad to know that the conversion kits do not have the LCI and mag disconnect. Just looked at the Sig web store and the slide doesn't have the front serrations like mine, but no big deal, still looks better and as long as it shoots well I'll get one. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This non Sig site says the conversion kits in Sig lingo is for a .22 conversion and what you want they call an exchange kit. Shop for Sig P229 Conversion / Caliber X-Change Kits

If you are in Cali I think you want a 10 rd kit. Think about if you want the calibre. Someone here did a good write up on swapping barrels and I believe they said you can drop a 9 mm barrel into a .40/.375 sig slide but not the other way around.

Some with CA P229s just remove the mag disconnect and the lci. Of course, then you have the laser etched warning and a gap on the top of the slide.

·
Registered
11,162 Posts
Not on a P229

Someone here did a good write up on swapping barrels and I believe they said you can drop a 9 mm barrel into a .40/.375 sig slide but not the other way around.
True, you can run a SIG 9mm barrel in a 40 or 357 slide on a P224, 226 and 239. But unlike those models, the P229 9mm barrel OD is smaller than the 40/357 barrel and it will not lock up properly in the 40/357 slide

·
Registered
967 Posts
If they have the conversion kit with the 10-round magazines it's totally legal to ship to California I haven't looked at their site but a lot of people in California will do that with the 226. it will fit the gun and there's no restriction on the conversion kit. Just the complete guns that ship to California have to be on the roster or frame as well as 10 round magazines

·
Registered
333 Posts
This thread is very helpful. I had read it before but had to locate it but here is that link http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-gunsmithing/17536-barrel-conversion-tables.html

kcb has it correct but for one hook that may cause a problem for those with a California CCW LTC. While the Roster generally only applies to the initial delivery of a handgun, some issuing agencies have problems with adding a handgun to a permit if the caliber doesn't match its caliber in AFS.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yes the SIG P229 357 SIG caliber X-change kits will work with a CA compliant frame. I am quite sure they are legal for California as long as you buy the 10 round magazine version.

A 9 mm OEM barrel will not work with a P229 chambered in .40 S&W or 357 SIG. You would either need to buy a 9 mm caliber X-change kit or a 9 mm conversion barrel from Bar-Sto or EFK Firedragon.

I have heard of the magazine disconnect safety breaking in CA-compliant P229s. I have not heard of the LCI breaking but I'm sure it is possible. It is pretty easy to get rid of the magazine disconnect safety. You can drive a small pin out of the locking block insert that retains a small lever and spring, or you can just get a regular locking block to replace yours.

The LCI function would be easy to defeat as well. You could either just drive out the tiny pin retaining the LCI indicator lever and remove it and the spring, or grind off the tip of the lever that sticks into the barrel slot. Personally, I would not do this. You would still have the large "Loaded if up" warning label even with a round chambered. That label would strongly suggest to someone unfamiliar with the gun that the gun was not loaded if the indicator was not up, even if a round was chambered.

If you want to get rid of the LCI and shoot 357 SIG, the caliber X-change kit would be the way to go, if the price is acceptable. If not, I think any competent gunsmith could easily cut a little slot into the barrel hood of the barrel you already have to accommodate the LCI.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts