SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,018 Posts
philly01... either...

a. They have... and "mums" the word...

b. No one buys them anymore... they use 10 rounders

c. People are tired of complaining... no one at Sig listening...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have not bought one yet, but have heard that some have had good luck with them.

I may get one eventually, but want to wait a while so all the old stock has been moved off the shelves.

From what I have heard, the problem was with the spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 27 Tac Ops a month or so ago. All four 14 round magazines are working fine for me. I bought some of the Wolff springs just in case, but haven't needed them. Eventually the springs will need replacing anyway, so it wasn't wasted.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I bought 2 at the end on 2014 so those are some of the first ones (I assume)

They have worked fine although the fact I can get 15 rounds in them says the springs are weak and may not have a long life but I have tried to get them to fail and have yet to have a single problem

Reactions: sigke

·
Registered
258 Posts
November 2016

Got my Tacops in November, and zero problems with the 14 rounders, got my other one back in June zero problems with those, so if the early ones were problematic, they seem to have worked out the kinks, have 8 of the 14 rounders, and they feed 100% of the time.

Reactions: sigke

·
Registered
58 Posts
My new 14rd mag from SIG CS last August did not work with 230+P ammo! Multiple ftfs with nose down failures. The Wolf/Para14 spring fixed these problems. I gave my test results to SIG, and their CS rep passed it on to his pistol engineer. Weeks later I asked if he had heard anything and said the engineer said they had looked at the springs, that's all! I put all this info on another thread here on the 14rd mag subject.

Someone, not me, needs to get a new 14rd mag direct from SIG and test it with 230+P ammo? It's been 6months since my last contact with SIG. I hope they listened and creeped in an improvement. Do we have any volunteers to do a new mag test?

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I've thrown in the towel on any extended mag offerings from SIG. I love their guns and rely on them almost exclusively but will never carry with an extended mag. Even SIG CS knows this as they've sent me replacement mag after replacement mag and never a word in protest.

In another thread I started actually today I wonder if any other gun makers have this issue?

·
Registered
94 Posts
The real question. Is who has the best deals on the 14 rounders? None of my LGS have any. I've been trying my luck online but different companies do wildly different shipping prices and sales tax.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I haven't had any problems with mine either in my P227 or when using it in my CX4.

That said, I dont run any +P ammo, and my understanding was that the problem usually reared its head when running hot ammo.

In all honesty, every one of the failures I have seen suggest the mag spring is borderline strength and can't keep up with even slightly faster slide velocity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't had any problems with mine either in my P227 or when using it in my CX4.

That said, I dont run any +P ammo, and my understanding was that the problem usually reared its head when running hot ammo.

In all honesty, every one of the failures I have seen suggest the mag spring is borderline strength and can't keep up with even slightly faster slide velocity.
I am probably over posting on this since I just bought a 227 SAS and had the classic nose dive issue. So, it is a fresh wound, and it is bugging me.

However, mine was with the factory 10 round mags. They functioned fine with standard 230 ball ammo, and also with Hornady critical duty ammo with the polymer tip, but I had problems with the 230 Grn +P hollow points from Hornady.
Every post I have seen so far mentions the 14 round mags, but not the 10 round.
The solution for the 14 rounders seems to be new Para P14 springs, but I wonder has anyone found a good replacement for the 10 round mags?

TD

·
Registered
23,605 Posts
I am probably over posting on this since I just bought a 227 SAS and had the classic nose dive issue. So, it is a fresh wound, and it is bugging me.

However, mine was with the factory 10 round mags. They functioned fine with standard 230 ball ammo, and also with Hornady critical duty ammo with the polymer tip, but I had problems with the 230 Grn +P hollow points from Hornady.
Every post I have seen so far mentions the 14 round mags, but not the 10 round.
The solution for the 14 rounders seems to be new Para P14 springs, but I wonder has anyone found a good replacement for the 10 round mags?

TD
You haven't found anything on the 10-round mags because the 10 round mags have been very reliable. I'm surprised that you are having issues.

I think there may have been a few of the 10-round mags that were bad and SIG replaced them.

But you could have something else going on that is causing it.

You might want to give customer service a call and talk to them. You may have received some bad mags or it could be something else like a bad extractor or extractor spring interfering with feeding and some ammo just happens to still make it into the chamber while other ammo doesn't.

Also, did you check the feed ramp for any irregularities?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've basically given up on the 14 rounders. I put Wolfe springs in the ine I had, but haven't tested it. I no longer use the P227 for home defense.

I bought a FN FNX-45 Tactical with standard 15 round mags. I can use it DA/SA like the Sig, or cocked and locked like a 1911. It also had a threaded barrel and red dot mount.

The "mighty" P227 is now a range gun.

Reactions: Old Sheepdog

·
Registered
58 Posts
Would be helpful to know if these are brand new mags and what ammo you have used? My mag from last summer did not function reliably with 230+p ammo, but was OK with 230 standard pressure.
Update: It has been a year and a half since I successfully tested my one 14 rd mag with the Wolf Para14 mag spring. I left the mag fully loaded for over a year and test fired it again this past summer with 100% success with the hot 230+P ammo! Last month I bought two more 14rd mags directly from SIG. When they arrived I took them apart to compare the components with the one I got in early 2016. All components were exactly the same including the springs! SIG had done nothing to improve these mags! I test fired them stock with the hot 230+P (WW Ranger T & Fed HST) and got the exact same disappointing results; the 5th, 6th and 7th rounds nose dived and jammed! With standard pressure ammo they were OK. I replaced the OEM springs with the Para 14 and retested with the same +P ammo. One mag was flawless while the other did experience 1-2 nose dive stoppages out of about 6 full mags (14+1). I will have to continue testing before I would rely on these for carrying with +P! My conclusion; these 14 rd mags are OK with standard pressure but not with 230+P! SIG has done nothing in the past two years to make any improvements to the mags to make them totally reliable with all SAAMI ammo!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've basically given up on the 14 rounders. I put Wolfe springs in the ine I had, but haven't tested it. I no longer use the P227 for home defense.

I bought a FN FNX-45 Tactical with standard 15 round mags. I can use it DA/SA like the Sig, or cocked and locked like a 1911. It also had a threaded barrel and red dot mount.

The "mighty" P227 is now a range gun.
I did the exact same thing. I've tested my 227 with the new springs and haven't had one FTF. However, my "testing" hasn't been to the level where I trust the gun yet.

My FN is my HD weapon. What really sucks is that I've never had a gun fit my hand and shooting style as the 227 does. I shoot the lights out with that thing when it goes bang. Totally bummed.

The FN is great, but I love the 227 more.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.