SIG Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new P226 TacOps. When looking at it vs other P226s I really liked the TacOps due to the fiber optic front sight, extended bever tail, included 4 20 round magazines, and mag grip. However I didn't notice and wasn't aware of the split down the back of the grips. So now I am a bit concerned that the split will be an issue when firing the weapon.

So my question does the split become an issue when firing? My initial search on goggle shows that the Hogue G10 Magrips might address this issue, but a bit unsure which type would be best to get either Chainlink, Piranha, or Smooth? Are there any other grips that I should be considering?

·
Registered
22,203 Posts
Have you checked to see if the grips screws are snug?

I have a couple of TACOPS P226s and haven't had an issue. But I know that some people do.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked to see if the grips screws are snug?

I have a couple of TACOPS P226s and haven't had an issue. But I know that some people do.
So as long as the screws are snug I shouldn't have an issue. That's good to know. I actually didn't check them. I just came across a YouTube video where the owner stated the split was an issue and he mentioned how disappointed he was. I then conducted a google search and came across a thread on this forum that recommended Hogue grips.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,632 Posts
Except for the E2 grips, all have been 2 piece polymer grips as standard issue. While there may have been the one-off issue with ill fitting grips, it is not a normal condition.
The polymer is quite flexible, but "biting the hand that feeds it" is not a normal trait!

The G-10s are in a realm of their own... I cannot envision Smooth grips as being useful, I have both Checkered and Piranha, on my Sigs, mostly the Piranha. Personally I believe the Chainlink is the "coarsest" texture.

Here are my 2 P226 models with their "Factory G-10 grips".

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Except for the E2 grips, all have been 2 piece polymer grips as standard issue. While there may have been the one-off issue with ill fitting grips, it is not a normal condition.
The polymer is quite flexible, but "biting the hand that feeds it" is not a normal trait!

The G-10s are in a realm of their own... I cannot envision Smooth grips as being useful, I have both Checkered and Piranha, on my Sigs, mostly the Piranha. Personally I believe the Chainlink is the "coarsest" texture.

Good to know and this makes sense, I'm relieved to know Sig didn't use a faulty design on their grips, also thanks for the feedback with regards to the various Hogue grips. So it appears that you prefer the Piranha grips over the Checkered can I ask why that would be?

·
Registered
22,203 Posts

I don't consider them "smooth". I've never had problems with the factory grips. But the Hogue G10s are awesome.

The Piranhas are very aggressive and they are my favorites for looks. They start to sting after a while of shooting full-power 10mm loads. :D
I don't like them as much on my P239 when carrying IWB against my bare skin. :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't consider them "smooth". I've never had problems with the factory grips. But the Hogue G10s are awesome.

The Piranhas are very aggressive and they are my favorites for looks. They start to sting after a while of shooting full-power 10mm loads. :D
I don't like them as much on my P239 when carrying IWB against my bare skin. :eek:
Thank you sir.

If I do decide to swap out grips I now have an idea as to which style to go for.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have several P226 TACOPS pistols and never noticed this issue. I wanted a "grippier" grip and added a Pachmayr Grip Glove over the stock grip. This is an easily installed rubber sleeve that slides over the stock grip. Makes the grip slightly fatter (good for me, perhaps not for all) and much less slippery. About nine bucks at Amazon. Cant say for sure but it may have improved my accuracy and reduced felt recoil. Look for the model specificially designed to fit SIG pistols (there are many variations). I have now installed these on most handguns and some rifles (with pistol grip stocks). Hogue also makes a similar product, but theirs are generic sizes (S, M, L). If "looks" are important to you, these may not be the answer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts