SIG Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When cleaning my Sig P226 Mk25, I noticed that there is what looks to be significant wear on the underside of the right slide rail on the frame. The anodizing on the frame has been worn through. The underside of the left rail looks fine, as does the top of both rails. See picture below.

https://imgur.com/a/qDa3mEt

Is this something that I should be concerned about? Has anyone noticed this with their Mk25's?

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,341 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would suggest reading the first post here... https://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/131-flork-s-sig-pistol-inspection-guide.html , I would recommend using "grease" on the rails where metal "slides" on metal, oil where metal turns or rotates.
Thanks for the feedback.

I apologize if I asked a noob question. I'm new to Sigs. Up to this point, I've been shooting polymer striker fired pistols.

When I searched for prior posts on this issue, I found conflicting feedback regarding this kind of wear. Some say it's a symptom of a burr on the slide. (This doesn't seem to be the case for me). Some say it's a symptom that the gun hasn't been lubed properly. Yet other seem to say, it's normal, stop worrying.

I bought the pistol used from a gentleman that said he only put a few hundred rounds through it. I don't know what he used for lube. It looked like he just used an oil of some kind.

I guess there really isn't much I can do about it, other than keep it properly lubed (per your recommendations) and keep an eye on it. Although, it would be nice if someone could confirm that they have also observed the same wear pattern on their pistol, and that their pistol has continued to perform for many thousands of rounds.

·
11,341 Posts
Thanks for the feedback.

I apologize if I asked a noob question. I'm new to Sigs. Up to this point, I've been shooting polymer striker fired pistols.

When I searched for prior posts on this issue, I found conflicting feedback regarding this kind of wear. Some say it's a symptom of a burr on the slide. (This doesn't seem to be the case for me). Some say it's a symptom that the gun hasn't been lubed properly. Yet other seem to say, it's normal, stop worrying.

I bought the pistol used from a gentleman that said he only put a few hundred rounds through it. I don't know what he used for lube. It looked like he just used an oil of some kind.

I guess there really isn't much I can do about it, other than keep it properly lubed (per your recommendations) and keep an eye on it. Although, it would be nice if someone could confirm that they have also observed the same wear pattern on their pistol, and that their pistol has continued to perform for many thousands of rounds.
Everyone has to start sometime, and it's not normally a polymer issue, or even a steel on steel issue, which is really what polymer guns rely on.

Steel on aluminum is another issue though, with aluminum being softer, even though hard coat anodized.

Slight wear is inevitable, proper lubrication helps prolong any mechanical device.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Welcome, from PA!
Hint: A good way to get grease into all areas of the frame & slide grooves neatly & efficiently, is to smear a small dab of grease on a pipe cleaner, then run the pipe cleaner back & forth in the grooves. You can find big bags of pipe cleaners in the Wally World craft dept for a couple bucks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Check for burrs on your slide. I found one on the P229 Extreme I once had that was gouging a groove down the frame. Filed it down and yes of course used grease.

·
11,341 Posts
IronButt has a good suggestion, or stop by your local hardware store, and pick up what's known as an "Acid Brush" or "Flux Brush", basically a stiff bristled "paint brush"... great to apply a light "film" of grease on many types of firearms... clean them after use with solvent, ready for the next need.

Attachments

·
Registered
500 Posts
It's 100% normal wear on that MK25. I own two MK25's and both exhibit the same wear pattern. Doesn't matter if you use oil or grease, until the slide and frame wear in, you will see wear. It will stabilize with proper lubrication. Stainless slides sliding on aluminum alloy frames will result in the frame losing the break in battle. Just keep it properly lubricated and shoot the gun.

Wear is unavoidable.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
TO Check for burrs.
First clean all areas of slide and frame with contact cleaner.
Then take a Q-tip cotton swab and gently slide it down the rail of the slide and along the grooves of the frame. See if there is any sign of a "Catch" of the fibers along the track of the slide or rails. Check the top as well.
If you find something (Usually on the slide) then a quick buff with a very fine file or with emery cloth will usually address it. re run q-tip test to ensure that it is gone.

Now GREASE THE HECK out of it. and reassemble. Do Not use "Dry lube" or "Oil" or anything else. Grease it.

Reactions: PewPewPtwang
1 - 12 of 12 Posts