SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used P226 CA (California) Model. I received the pistol without the factory installed "Magazine Safety", which suits me fine. I did not understand that I was getting a loaded chamber indicator (LCI) until it arrived. Man It is ugly, .

I have witnessed others discuss the LCI and was somewhat indifferent until I learned that it is impossible to drop a round into the barrel and close the slide on a chambered round. That got me thinking of all of the unintended consequences of the poorly designed LCI.

The LCI is designed to clear (allow slide barrel lock up) and function (raise to signal loaded chamber) only as a round is fed from a magazine. It will not clear when a round is already chambered. This could be a flaw and unacceptable risk for serious social use.

If the slide is released on a chambered round (I did it once), then the LCI will not allow the slide to close into battery, Nor will the extractor be able to grasp the chambered round and extract. The full force of the slide slam is received by the LCI against the loaded cartridge, which would contribute to the failure of the LCI part.

If the small and fragile LCI part breaks during use and jams the pistol, then it may be down until service with a pin punch is executed.

If your extractor ever fails to extract a stuck case or chambered round, then you are done fighting until you get a stick and push the offending stuck case out from the front of the barrel.

“Tap, Rack and Bang” as an emergency fail procedure may not be applicable to the LCI featured Sig 226. ***. I fear that I must either remove the LCI or make a new piece of kit designed to extract stuck cases from the front of the barrel with the slide locked open in the dark and under stress. I may need a new pocket or pouch for my "SIG LCI Stuck Case Push Stick" or SLSCPS.

Could SIG Engineers to build a LCI that behaved like a pin through the breech face, that would protruded out the back of the slide to indicate loaded, that also allowed the slide to go into battery on a stuck case (Like a Walther P38), that did not interfere with operation and make a less reliable firearm.

I carried a SIG 226 for 24 years of LE service. No trust issues, None better. Now I own an Sig with a LCI. I am considering replacing the LCI with a filler device that does not interfere with the breech face function. I hear process is quick and easy, but there is always still witness to an abortion.

BTW, My spare .357 Sig barrel will not fit my new LCI equipped P226 .40 cal until I cut an LCI relief cut in the .357 Sig barrel hood or remove the LCI. I did not see that coming.

Advice before I do LCI removal surgery on my P226?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sounded like cutting the LCI's leg off would take care of your problems?

Reactions: Zebra

·
🎖USAF Veteran
663 Posts
I purchased a used P226 CA (California) Model. I received the pistol without the factory installed "Magazine Safety", which suits me fine. I did not understand that I was getting a loaded chamber indicator (LCI) until it arrived. Man It is ugly, .

I have witnessed others discuss the LCI and was somewhat indifferent until I learned that it is impossible to drop a round into the barrel and close the slide on a chambered round.

Why would you ever want to do that? On a P226 or any other semi auto.
Not designed to be loaded that way.
If you want to insert one round in the chamber then insert the round in the mag and load it that way.

·
🎖USMC Veteran Premium Member
4,572 Posts
l I learned that it is impossible to drop a round into the barrel and close the slide on a chambered round.

Why would you ever want to do that? On a P226 or any other semi auto.
Not designed to be loaded that way.
If you want to insert one round in the chamber then insert the round in the mag and load it that way.
Welcome from Texas.

I think the above advice is something that almost everyone on this forum would agree with.

Dropping a round in the chamber and releasing the slide can result in extractor damage or damage to the rounds case rim.

Neither is a situation you want to contend with.

·
🎖USA Veteran
872 Posts
I hope this isn’t something that carries over to their other pistols like the 320’s.

Seems like every time one of these anti gun states come up with some “safe” feature it ends up on everyone else’s guns as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all for the good advice about proper loading technique which includes feeding cartridges from a magazine. I will follow it.

It is troubling to me that a case stuck in the chamber may not be removed with a second attempt and slide manipulation. If the case is stuck, it is going to remain stuck. There is no second chance at extraction without tools. It is a small price to pay for the latest in safety innovation.

Cheers!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bblr,

Thank you for your concern.

I got told several times that the LCI is no big deal and others did not see the problem.
Scolded a little for improper loading procedure.
Shamed a little for being a little stupid.

But you are right!
The LCI must go in order for me to trust again.

I should not have to carry a cleaning rod to clear a stuck case jam.
I have used cleaning rods to extract stuck cases from AR-15 rifles and M-60 machine-guns. I feel lucky I was not being shot at.

I could bet my SIG chamber is so slick as to never sick a case.
It would be that one in a thousand rare jam... probably never.

It is all good.

My slide will have a new LCI witness hole......
Rest Easy my friend.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
OP,
Remove the LCI from the slide.
Drop the LCI back into the slot in the slide.
Mark the LCI at the breech face w/ a pencil.
Cut the finger of the LCI off.
Reinstall the LCI.

The magazine safety is a modified locking insert w/ 3 parts added.
The aft end of the trigger lever can be modified to eliminate the mag safety interference if the locking insert is not going to be R&R(removed&replaced)

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,015 Posts
Actually... the LCI sort of resembles a Viking Axe...

Hardware accessory

Just remove the "head"... :lol:

Auto part Electronic device

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also had purchased a P226 California model at a good price. I promptly removed the magazine disconnect (PIA) and cut the tab off of the LCI like others above have stated. The gun functioned perfectly, but I could not get use to the ugly LCI so I ultimately sold it and purchased one without the LCI.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When stationed in California the Army exchange had a really good deal on a CA MK25 that I could not pass up. Sounds weird but I have kind of have a love hate relationship with the pistol. It is an excellent shooter (even for me). The LCI is not the part that bothers me since I already clipped that. It is the giant laser etched "loaded when up" lettering on top that ruins the lines. It is like that first big scratch you get on a gun. Almost perfect but somehow flawed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
When stationed in California the Army exchange had a really good deal on a CA MK25 that I could not pass up. Sounds weird but I have kind of have a love hate relationship with the pistol. It is an excellent shooter (even for me). The LCI is not the part that bothers me since I already clipped that. It is the giant laser etched "loaded when up" lettering on top that ruins the lines. It is like that first big scratch you get on a gun. Almost perfect but somehow flawed.
Get the slide cerakoted. ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.