SIG Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of recoil springs for my 226 Legion 357/40. The original springs are the 3 wire braided coils with green paint. The springs I received were single flat coil springs. They were from the Sig store online and had a reasonable price of 3 for $19.99. They had what seemed to me to be less resistance to compression when compressed by hand. I was able to get return authorization from customer service. I did send them back and purchased the originals from elsewhere, but at higher cost $18.99 each. The question is, has anyone tried the new flat coil springs provided when you order them from Sig?
They are sold under the part name Recoil Spring Set - P220 .45ACP, P226 .40AUTO SKU#RSS-220-2264. They are pictured as the 3wire braided with green paint, but that is not what you get. Any input would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm running the flats in my P229's and they work great (and resolve the for problems of the 3 wire 229 springs).

I had noted that they seemed longer than the 3 wire, so I suspect that under full compression, they will be tbe same.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tadawson, I appreciate the feedback about the spring. I have had perfect performance history with the original 3 wire braided spring, and I often switch between the 357SIG barrel and the 40S&W, so I guess I was just reluctant to change. If they do or have already discontinued the braided 3 wire springs I may have to go with the new flat coils. I am still on the original and have 2 spares so the springs I have on hand may outlast me. :D

I am curious about what sort of problems you had with the P229 with the braided 3 wire springs, I also have the 229 Legion in 9mm with the braided spring and haven't had any problems with it as of yet, but I do have less than 1000 rounds through it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
In the P229, the three wire made recently tend to be undersize and bind on the guide rod, they deform, and quite often a strand shifts and starts coming out of the wrap. For me, the reults.were grinding when racking, misfeeds/eject issues, could not get it open to reach slidelock, and a couple of nom-fires due to not fully in battery.

And no, I didn't run that one that far . . .came in like that as a CPO.

I'm not aware of that kind of problems in other P series, just the 229. . . .

·
Registered
18,295 Posts
From what I'm reading here, the braided springs made here in the US are awful. SIG has switched to flat wire springs. I've got a couple German made springs for each gun, so I haven't had to try the new springs yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts