SIG Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

Just wanted to find out what are the typical lifespans of some of the key components on the firearm until they wear out before you would need to replace them.

Components in question would namely be the hammer, trigger bar, sear, sear spring, safety lever, disconnector, hammer strut, hammer spring, recoil spring etc in terms of rounds.

If you'd also know how long they last polished vs unpolished that would be great to know as well!

If you'd have any tips on how to know if they need to be changed before they are fully worn out (or pics of a worn out vs new one) that would be awesome as well!

Any input would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here is a link to a very comprehensive list/article about this.

From what I have read, this seems to be legit.

Throwing Lead

Here is the part I believe you're looking for.

SIG Sauer’s recommended maintenance and parts replacement schedule
(as of March 2008):

Barrel: If the pistol exhibits keyholing or unacceptable accuracy.
Decocking lever spring: 10,000
Extractor: 20,000
Extractor spring: 20,000
Firing pin: 20,000
Firing pin spring: 20,000
Magazine spring: When magazine fails to lock the slide open. *
Recoil spring: 5,000 †
Safety lock spring: 20,000
Slide catch lever spring: 10,000
Takedown lever: 20,000
Trigger bar spring: 10,000

Mainspring (hammer spring): 5000 or when misfires due to light hammer strikes occur and other causes have been eliminated. Note that this is my own recommendation; SIG Sauer makes no recommendation about the mainspring in the armorer manual. I was told by a fellow armorer, however, that when he asked about it SIG’s informal guidance was that a mainspring should last 40,000 rounds.

* I also recommend replacing the magazine spring when ammunition is not held securely. This can occur before slide lock failures.

† I had seen an early recommendation here that the recoil spring be replaced after 3000 rounds, and that’s what I follow.

SIG considers the extractor used in P220 stainless steel slides to be a “sacrificial” part, and that it should be replaced after it’s removed from the slide.

This is the service schedule that was provided along with the above parts schedule:

Operator - Clean and Lubricate: After every firing or exposure to water chemicals, dirt, or other contaminants.
Operator - Clean and Lubricate: Annually during storage.
Operator - Clean and Lubricate: Monthly when carried as duty weapon.
Operator - Function Check: Whenever disassembled and reassembled.
Armorer - Field strip and inspect for proper maintenance: Annually.
Armorer - Detailed disassembly and inspection: Every three years or 5000 rounds fired.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

From what I have read, this seems to be legit.

Throwing Lead

Here is the part I believe you're looking for.

SIG Sauer’s recommended maintenance and parts replacement schedule
(as of March 2008):

Barrel: If the pistol exhibits keyholing or unacceptable accuracy.
Decocking lever spring: 10,000
Extractor: 20,000
Extractor spring: 20,000
Firing pin: 20,000
Firing pin spring: 20,000
Magazine spring: When magazine fails to lock the slide open. *
Recoil spring: 5,000 †
Safety lock spring: 20,000
Slide catch lever spring: 10,000
Takedown lever: 20,000
Trigger bar spring: 10,000

Mainspring (hammer spring): 5000 or when misfires due to light hammer strikes occur and other causes have been eliminated. Note that this is my own recommendation; SIG Sauer makes no recommendation about the mainspring in the armorer manual. I was told by a fellow armorer, however, that when he asked about it SIG’s informal guidance was that a mainspring should last 40,000 rounds.

* I also recommend replacing the magazine spring when ammunition is not held securely. This can occur before slide lock failures.

† I had seen an early recommendation here that the recoil spring be replaced after 3000 rounds, and that’s what I follow.

SIG considers the extractor used in P220 stainless steel slides to be a “sacrificial” part, and that it should be replaced after it’s removed from the slide.

This is the service schedule that was provided along with the above parts schedule:

Operator - Clean and Lubricate: After every firing or exposure to water chemicals, dirt, or other contaminants.
Operator - Clean and Lubricate: Annually during storage.
Operator - Clean and Lubricate: Monthly when carried as duty weapon.
Operator - Function Check: Whenever disassembled and reassembled.
Armorer - Field strip and inspect for proper maintenance: Annually.
Armorer - Detailed disassembly and inspection: Every three years or 5000 rounds fired.
Thanks for the quick reply. Will most definitely bookmark this! How about for the "bigger" parts like the hammer, sear and trigger bar itself? Basically the components that often come into contact with one another when firing the weapon apart from the firing pin?

Again, thank you very much, it seems that almost every other possible components are included in your reply. Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts

Gray Guns also recommends changing the mainspring at 5000 rounds. It's the number I go with as well. This is from their SRT kit description--->

"We provide 19 pound mainsprings in this kit as they are appropriate for self defense applications. The second mainspring is a value-add, as we suggest replacing these springs at about 5,000 rounds."
https://grayguns.com/product/grayguns-short-reset-trigger-srt-kit/

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Will most definitely bookmark this! How about for the "bigger" parts like the hammer, sear and trigger bar itself? Basically the components that often come into contact with one another when firing the weapon apart from the firing pin?

Again, thank you very much, it seems that almost every other possible components are included in your reply. Thanks

I've never really seen/heard/read about hammers or sears needing to be replaced, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If I had to guess, I'd say those parts probably don't need replacing unless the gun stops functioning properly. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Greetings!

Just wanted to find out what are the typical lifespans of some of the key components on the firearm until they wear out before you would need to replace them.

Components in question would namely be the hammer, trigger bar, sear, sear spring, safety lever, disconnector, hammer strut, hammer spring, recoil spring etc in terms of rounds.

If you'd also know how long they last polished vs unpolished that would be great to know as well!

If you'd have any tips on how to know if they need to be changed before they are fully worn out (or pics of a worn out vs new one) that would be awesome as well!

Any input would be much appreciated!
I have 2 p226's and a 229
The 226 I have for a duty weapon has the most rounds through it..... Here is my advice (I am not an armorer, THis is what I think) you might know some of this already anyway...

Barrel.... When your accuracy diminishes greatly... Or you get key holing... Which is where the paper looks like a key hole after the bullet goes through it. It usually means the bullet is wobbling... This will likely never happen. I have seen people with pistols that have 100,000 rds through it that don't need a new barrel. Hand gun barrels do not get hot enough to tear the rifling up... At least nearly as much as say, an ar barrel

Then buy 2 of the p226 parts kits.. i get them from top gun supply... They are cheaper and get there much faster than directly from Sig... They come with a recoil spring, trigger bar spring, Slide lock spring. slide pins, and a decocker spring.. I replace those every 5,000. rds or so... I don't wait for them to be shot out before I replace them.... Its $20 for the whole thing and takes 5 mins to change them all.

Hammer spring/sear spring.. I have change Every 2 yrs maybe.... I bought 4 from wolff springs If I remember right... and they cost about maybe 20$ for a 4pk of main springs, and a 4 pk of sear springs.

Change the mag springs when you notice a difference in how easy it is to push the follower down... Or you start having feeding issues.... (this part is usually overlooked... Just like cleaning mags... If you clean the gun... Clean the mag... or maybe every other time... Most malfunctions are mag related.

I have never had to change anything else..

Sears, trigger bars, Hammer... If they break? Its not a wear and tear part...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I think it's safe to say that items like the trigger, hammer, trigger bar, slide catch lever, and decock lever are lifetime parts.

Polishing won't affect their longevity; these are not surface-hardened parts, they are hardened all the way through.

If anything, you want "high mileage" parts because they have self-polished and matched their surfaces... this is why many people say that the older guns are smoother. It's not that they were inherently better at all, it's that the parts have worn in.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gray Guns also recommends changing the mainspring at 5000 rounds. It's the number I go with as well. This is from their SRT kit description--->

"We provide 19 pound mainsprings in this kit as they are appropriate for self defense applications. The second mainspring is a value-add, as we suggest replacing these springs at about 5,000 rounds."
https://grayguns.com/product/grayguns-short-reset-trigger-srt-kit/
I've never really seen/heard/read about hammers or sears needing to be replaced, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

If I had to guess, I'd say those parts probably don't need replacing unless the gun stops functioning properly. I could be wrong, but that's my take.
I have 2 p226's and a 229
The 226 I have for a duty weapon has the most rounds through it..... Here is my advice (I am not an armorer, THis is what I think) you might know some of this already anyway...

Barrel.... When your accuracy diminishes greatly... Or you get key holing... Which is where the paper looks like a key hole after the bullet goes through it. It usually means the bullet is wobbling... This will likely never happen. I have seen people with pistols that have 100,000 rds through it that don't need a new barrel. Hand gun barrels do not get hot enough to tear the rifling up... At least nearly as much as say, an ar barrel

Then buy 2 of the p226 parts kits.. i get them from top gun supply... They are cheaper and get there much faster than directly from Sig... They come with a recoil spring, trigger bar spring, Slide lock spring. slide pins, and a decocker spring.. I replace those every 5,000. rds or so... I don't wait for them to be shot out before I replace them.... Its $20 for the whole thing and takes 5 mins to change them all.

Hammer spring/sear spring.. I have change Every 2 yrs maybe.... I bought 4 from wolff springs If I remember right... and they cost about maybe 20$ for a 4pk of main springs, and a 4 pk of sear springs.

Change the mag springs when you notice a difference in how easy it is to push the follower down... Or you start having feeding issues.... (this part is usually overlooked... Just like cleaning mags... If you clean the gun... Clean the mag... or maybe every other time... Most malfunctions are mag related.

I have never had to change anything else..

Sears, trigger bars, Hammer... If they break? Its not a wear and tear part...
I think it's safe to say that items like the trigger, hammer, trigger bar, slide catch lever, and decock lever are lifetime parts.

Polishing won't affect their longevity; these are not surface-hardened parts, they are hardened all the way through.

If anything, you want "high mileage" parts because they have self-polished and matched their surfaces... this is why many people say that the older guns are smoother. It's not that they were inherently better at all, it's that the parts have worn in.
Thank you for all your inputs, these have been greatly helpful! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.