SIG Talk banner

SIG P226 G-10 GRIPS and RIT DYE

14219 49
I found some Sig Brand Hogue G-10 grips for a decent price ($85)
The were supposed to be Black / Gray Piranha but were more Brown / Black than anything. I have seen some this color on new Sig Extreme Pistols, so I think they were swapped off a new gun, although they came in Sig Gray retail box.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Ueh61E]P226-1 by jwzzx, on Flickr[/URL]

Thought I would try Rit Dye on the G10, a lot of knife guys dye G10 knife scales.

$2 of Rit Dye

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Vsq2M5]P226-2 by jwzzx, on Flickr[/URL]

Happier with the all black for my MK-25
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23,648 Posts
I like it!
The Hogue G10 varies widely. No two G10 grips from Hogue look exactly alike. The way that they are manufactured, every set cut from the material will have different colors and patterns show. Some look more brown, some more black/gray, some even look blue.

Does the dye hold up on G10?

Reactions: WickeR06

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it!
The Hogue G10 varies widely. No two G10 grips from Hogue look exactly alike. The way that they are manufactured, every set cut from the material will have different colors and patterns show. Some look more brown, some more black/gray, some even look blue.

Does the dye hold up on G10?
What I really want is Sig Branded Black Grips, I would buy those for every Sig I have, I did the cut down on the Sig P227 Mag Well grips to achieve the Black grips.

The dye holds up well on knife scales. These are going on a MK-25 tonight, we will see.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That does look good! G10 sucks up oil, so it makes sense that it would take a dye real well.

I haven't quite figured out Hogue's G10 colors. The Black/Gray looks Black/Brown/Gray. The Black looks Black/Gray. The Solid Black is actually Black.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,029 Posts
This is definitely nice to know! I would have never thought fabric dye would color synthetics, more or less G-10 grips.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How to

Just put the grips in the dye and let them soak?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Google Rit Dye G10

1qt water 1/4 cup white vinegar Powder Rit dye heat to just under boil (simmer) for about 45 min.

Rinse off in cold water. Hogue site says use Johnson's Baby Oil on G10, that is what I use on all G10 grips to brighten them up a bit.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I'll need to wait for my wife to be gone to use her cookware for this....
You can also just pick up a stainless steel pot from the next Goodwill store. ;)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rit Powder

Does the liquid fabric dye not work....definitely use the powder recipe?

Appreciate the post...good information.
From what I read on Knife Forums and You Tube posts, most recommended the powdered type.

Be careful when adding the dye to hot water on the stove, I had a pan about half full of water and it over flowed the pan when I added the powder! Chemical reaction?

Also rig some wire coat hanger to suspend the grips in the cooking pan.

Reactions: photog22740

·
Registered
130 Posts
From what I read on Knife Forums and You Tube posts, most recommended the powdered type.

Be careful when adding the dye to hot water on the stove, I had a pan about half full of water and it over flowed the pan when I added the powder! Chemical reaction?

Also rig some wire coat hanger to suspend the grips in the cooking pan.

Thermal reaction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.