SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a new P226 in 22LR this weekend. For those that have this pistol what do you feel is the best 22LR ammunition for this particular pistol? Also are there any common issues I should be aware of with the P226 22LR?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,018 Posts
Ron, I believe the consensus is that CCI Mini Mags are the "standard" for others to measure up to.

Or something with the same weight/profile, and velocity would be the best bet!

Reactions: wsp222

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I found an older thread in regards to this topic and after going through it line by line it looks like the CCI ammo might be the best for this pistol. I'll start off with the min mags as you recommend and work into the CCI ammo line after a few hundred rounds.

Also saw that plenty of oil/grease is required on the rails which I do regardless to all my Sigs. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,018 Posts
Don't cause another .22 SHORTAGE... Lol!!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Last December I got a .22 conversion kit from Sig Sauer for my p228 (on sale for $179) - rather than buy into the "you've gotta use CCI ammo" train of thought, I figured since I already had a variety of .22 ammunition I'd give them a try. Surprise! Nearly everything worked without problems. Yes, CCI might have been a bit better, but not by much. All were accurate enough for my book.

The only ones which consistently jammed or gave FTE's were the Remington 36 grain HP.

I've actually found it likes Federal 40 gr. RN (1,280 fps) just like my S & W MP22 compact. The nice thing about Federal is that they're cheap - last time I bought some locally I paid $16.99 for a 325 round brick - with tax that's 5.6 cents per round. It's even cheaper if you buy online in bulk.

Do what you want, but be open-minded to trying other ammo...and have fun!

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
There are little things that people forget. Clean your gun properly and grease those rails to reduce resistance so the energy to bring the slide back to eject the cartridge properly is reduced. I can't count the times I have heard someone complain about FTEs with their 22s. I have offered to look at their gun and guess what, it is filthy with no lubrication on the slide.

Lots of ammo will work in a clean and properly lubed gun.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks guys. I found an older thread in regards to this topic and after going through it line by line it looks like the CCI ammo might be the best for this pistol. I'll start off with the min mags as you recommend and work into the CCI ammo line after a few hundred rounds.

Also saw that plenty of oil/grease is required on the rails which I do regardless to all my Sigs. Any other recommendations?

Thanks,
Ron
Yes. Plenty of oil in the rails each time you take it to the range makes big difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
FWIW, I bought a 22 conversion for my 220. I have pretty good assortment of rimfire ammo for my 10-22's, Ruger MK II and III's and my S&W 41. Federal bulk Automatch was jam-o-matic. CCI SV works good in most of my 22's, so, lets try that. No go. Federal 210, nope. Golden Bullets, nope. Wolf no! You get the picture.
CCI MiniMags to the rescue! After several hundred of these (modest break in) and I tried CCI SV again and it works 100%! My takeaway mirrors other posts I've read, these need break in with CCI MiniMags then whatever works. Oh yeah, and as others have pointed out, lube and plenty of it.
Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.