SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a P224 in a trade deal. Anyone shorting these? What are your thoughts on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics will have to wait till I get back home. I know they don’t make them anymore but I think I’m gonna like it.

·
🎖US Army Veteran Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I hope you put it where it can't be sold until you have time to figure out that you want it. 😊

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I carry mine in 357sig except in the summer months I carry a P365. I have the 9, 357sig, 40s&w barrels for it. It will use P224,226,228,229, 229-1 and possibly other mags. I have always loved this pistol. It was one of the early ones that had the extractor problems. Sent it back to Sig and have never had another issue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure which one it is. It has the e2 grips and came with a 40 and 357Sig barrel. I don’t shoot either one of those so I’m on the hunt for a 9mm conversion barrel.

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
I have one that is chambered in 357 SIG and is my warm weather EDC. It's a very reliable and accurate shooter.

Being a discontinued model and incorporating some parts that are unique to it and its' cousin the "P229 CARRY", sourcing spare parts can be a challenge. You might want to start laying on some spares in advance of needs.

Here's a list of the parts that are unique to the P224 and P229 CARRY and will take some extra searching:

·
Premium Member
P320 X-Compact, P320 AXG Scorpion
11,227 Posts
I owned one in the past and really like it but something else caught my eye so I traded it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure which one it is. It has the e2 grips and came with a 40 and 357Sig barrel. I don’t shoot either one of those so I’m on the hunt for a 9mm conversion barrel.
You might consider swapping your 40 AND 357 Sig complete slide for someone with a similar quality complete 9mm slide (new for new, used for used, night/contrast sights for like quality/condition). Probably the easiest way to do a complete 9mm swap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s a good idea. I may try to go that route.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Preferred carry rotation, 224 in 9mm, a second 224 in 40&357, 229 Carry in 40 or a 238.

Shot my 224 357Sig this m.orning at range.

Have a spare 224 in 9 mm

·
Registered
11 Posts
I carry mine in 357sig except in the summer months I carry a P365. I have the 9, 357sig, 40s&w barrels for it. It will use P224,226,228,229, 229-1 and possibly other mags. I have always loved this pistol. It was one of the early ones that had the extractor problems. Sent it back to Sig and have never had another issue.
Same story for me I have 2 Got to have the 12 Mag Grips for extended Grip It what I carry in a fanny Pack pouch Ha looks great on Fat Old Man OR in my Fishing Vest pocket . . Hancock was Hitting GONG on first couple of shots Incredible !!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts

In the case of P224 you don't need a conversion barrel. The standard P224 9mm barrel is all you need as it is a direct fit since the slides are the same in all 3 calibers with this model.

·
Registered
71 Posts
In the case of P224 you don't need a conversion barrel. The standard P224 9mm barrel is all you need as it is a direct fit since the slides are the same in all 3 calibers with this model.
As the owner of many P224s, I will "slightly" disagree. Yes, a 9 mm barrel will fit and most likely function okay in a 357/40 slide but the barrel to breech fit is not an exact fit with some amount of play/wiggle. This is also the reason why 357 SIG and 40 S&W barrels cannot simply be swapped into a 9 mm slide.

·
Registered
814 Posts
As the owner of many P224s, I will "slightly" disagree. Yes, a 9 mm barrel will fit and most likely function okay in a 357/40 slide but the barrel to breech fit is not an exact fit with some amount of play/wiggle. This is also the reason why 357 SIG and 40 S&W barrels cannot simply be swapped into a 9 mm slide.
same here, I would go with a BarSto 9mm barrel. Mine in my 224 357/40 works great. Had BarSto custom fit it

Reactions: sigamore

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Interesting, I was not aware of this. First time I've seen it reported. Of the 6 I've owned they were a perfect fit and worked flawless for many thousands of rounds. Also to note mine were all 40 to 9 conversions, never went the other direction.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts