SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new-in-box SIG Sauer p224 SAS .40cal over the weekend. I did a decent amount of research and found that it was one of (if not the only) the top-of-the-line subcompact .40 calibers on the market that has a version that is both single action and double action. I prefer single action a capabilities, own a p229 that I love, so this purchase was a no-brainer... I thought.
Once back at my house, I tried loading the 10-round magazines, only to find that one of them would not accept the 10th round, no matter how hard I tried - to the point where I did a double take at the pistol and case to make sure I hadn't accidentally purchased a 9mm and was somehow ignorantly forcing .40 rounds into a 9mm clip. I tried the second magazine, and it barely accepted the 10th round - and only with extreme pressure.
With nine rounds in one magazine and ten in the other, I loaded the 10 rd. mag and tried to run the rounds through it by simply pulling the slide back and springing the unfired bullets onto the counter (I'm sure there is a fancy name for this, but I don't know it). The first round I tried to load jammed. So did the second, third, thirtieth, fiftieth, 100th, and every round in between those numbers. Not even a single round loaded correctly, no matter which clip I used or how many rounds were in the clip.
I stripped the gun and cleaned it, but once back together, every single round still jammed. At that point I was dumbfounded and frustrated about a brand new gun that I just paid almost $1000 for, so I turned to the internet. Big "Thank You" to this forum, and especially to Sir Slappy (and contributors to his post chain) for his post from Sept, 2013 titled "The Good... The Bad... The p224s" discussing this exact same issue with one of his p224s. My 224 was built in July, 2013, and like Sir Slappy states, it appears that this production run had some issues. He sums up the problems well, so I won't repeat too much. You can read his post here (if I can post active links on this page): http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/14617-good-bad-p224-s.html

Sir Slappy raved a couple of places about the SIG customer service, so I wasn't too worried the rest of the weekend about getting the gun working properly very quickly. It is now Monday morning, and I just got off of the phone with a SIG customer service rep.. I explained my problems to him, and the first five minutes of him talking were excuses. Not a great start, but I guess I can deal with that. He then explained that the feed from the mag to the chamber would be different when fired compared to me doing it by hand (i.e. I should go fire the gun before I start complaining to him). I agreed that the feeds would be different, but I told him that if I couldn't even load a single round into the chamber without screwing around with the slide and mag for several seconds, it wasn't worth me taking time and spending money going to the range, only to realize that the problem (that I have read is not uncommon with this production run of the p224 SAS) did not magically fix itself when the gun was fired. Ultimately, he said he would email me a FedEx shipping slip so I could send SIG the gun for analysis/repair, and that I would hear back from SIG in TWO to THREE WEEKS after they received it. Based on Sir Slappy's post, I was hoping for 2-3 DAYS, which I said to the customer service rep.
Me: "Two to three weeks?? Gosh, I was hoping for two to three DAYS. I'm not asking for installation of aftermarket products. I have a brand new gun that doesn't work."
Cust. Serv. Rep. (very snooty): "Do you want the shipping label or not?"
Me: "Well, I guess since I just shelled out over $900 for a brand new pistol that I cannot return and that won't even load correctly, yes, send me the label".

Long story short, since I have read that others have had the same issues with their p224s, I'm not extremely upset that mine isn't working perfectly (yet). What made me write this post is the fact that I was expecting much better customer service from SIG. I don't expect them to drop everything and service my gun the second it reaches their shop, but I expect a little courtesy from their customer service department. And possibly waiting almost a month to even hear what the issues are seems very excessive. I'm not asking for custom work done on the gun; I'm asking them to fix a defective gun that should have never left the factory (without working properly) in the first place. Frankly, they should probably issue a recall of all p224s made in mid-summer of 2013, because that production run(s) obviously had some issues that are creating several unhappy customers. Making your customers unhappy probably isn't the best way to stay in business.
Maybe I'll get lucky and hear something from SIG much quicker than I was quoted by the rep. I'm reasonably confident that the problems will be resolved. I'm just sad and frustrated that I won't get a working firearm for several days, if not several weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
I do believe you should have tried to fire it, even if you had to load 5 rounds the first magazine, see how it cycles (did you clean the mags, did you try leaving them loaded overnight). What ammunition were you trying to force into this Sig, one brand, one product or did you try varied quantities and quality ammunition?
I would never repeatedly attempt to hand cycle live rounds in a firearm, not one mag never mind 100 tries! Springing live rounds on the counter, really?

Sounds like you wouldn't agree with anything that Sig CS had suggested, which most likely lead to your opinion that their service was not to your liking. Your upset and it shows, I empathize with that part of your experience, I don't agree with your applications and preparations and feel your are inflexible and venting your frustrations regarding this issue. As for the lengthy turnaround time, never promise the best case scenario because if they missed the projected finish you'd be upset over that. I don't recall anyone saying Sig would turn around a service request in that time, only that it does occur and they are then pleased. And another thing to prepare you for what I guess you'll be upset about, you won't get a detailed line by line explanation of what they did to correct or address your service order.

Not an answer that mollify's your concerns, just a honest answer of my opinion.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I understand the issues with the 2013 batch of P224's and I sympathize with you. Since you already own a P229, I assume that you weren't "riding" the slide while trying to chamber rounds in your P224. All attempts to chamber a round were done with the slide being released from its most distant point from battery, correct?

EDIT: I agree with Sarge. You should probably build a loading/unloading barrel if you want to run live rounds through your gun. A small trash can or 5 gallon bucket filled with sand or gravel will do the job.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have two P224s in 40 S&W. The older one is an SAS model that fed well from the start. The second in an Equinox that was manufactured later in the year and would not feed from the start.

The problem child 224 Eq would always hang up on the extractor hook hitting the rim of the cartridge which always resulted in a failure to feed. The extractor hook would not pivot like other long extractor P series pistols. A little lube, and some encouragement with tools and then snap caps got the extractor mobilized.

One member has stated that replacement of the springs will fix such problems. My suspicion is that the thicker slide on the P224s is not being dealt with when the machining for the extractor slot is being done at the factory.

Bill

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I bought a new-in-box SIG Sauer p224 SAS .40cal over the weekend. I did a decent amount of research and found that it was one of (if not the only) the top-of-the-line subcompact .40 calibers on the market that has a version that is both single action and double action. I prefer single action a capabilities, own a p229 that I love, so this purchase was a no-brainer... I thought.
Once back at my house, I tried loading the 10-round magazines, only to find that one of them would not accept the 10th round, no matter how hard I tried - to the point where I did a double take at the pistol and case to make sure I hadn't accidentally purchased a 9mm and was somehow ignorantly forcing .40 rounds into a 9mm clip. I tried the second magazine, and it barely accepted the 10th round - and only with extreme pressure.
With nine rounds in one magazine and ten in the other, I loaded the 10 rd. mag and tried to run the rounds through it by simply pulling the slide back and springing the unfired bullets onto the counter (I'm sure there is a fancy name for this, but I don't know it). The first round I tried to load jammed. So did the second, third, thirtieth, fiftieth, 100th, and every round in between those numbers. Not even a single round loaded correctly, no matter which clip I used or how many rounds were in the clip.
I stripped the gun and cleaned it, but once back together, every single round still jammed. At that point I was dumbfounded and frustrated about a brand new gun that I just paid almost $1000 for, so I turned to the internet. Big "Thank You" to this forum, and especially to Sir Slappy (and contributors to his post chain) for his post from Sept, 2013 titled "The Good... The Bad... The p224s" discussing this exact same issue with one of his p224s. My 224 was built in July, 2013, and like Sir Slappy states, it appears that this production run had some issues. He sums up the problems well, so I won't repeat too much. You can read his post here (if I can post active links on this page): http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/14617-good-bad-p224-s.html

Sir Slappy raved a couple of places about the SIG customer service, so I wasn't too worried the rest of the weekend about getting the gun working properly very quickly. It is now Monday morning, and I just got off of the phone with a SIG customer service rep.. I explained my problems to him, and the first five minutes of him talking were excuses. Not a great start, but I guess I can deal with that. He then explained that the feed from the mag to the chamber would be different when fired compared to me doing it by hand (i.e. I should go fire the gun before I start complaining to him). I agreed that the feeds would be different, but I told him that if I couldn't even load a single round into the chamber without screwing around with the slide and mag for several seconds, it wasn't worth me taking time and spending money going to the range, only to realize that the problem (that I have read is not uncommon with this production run of the p224 SAS) did not magically fix itself when the gun was fired. Ultimately, he said he would email me a FedEx shipping slip so I could send SIG the gun for analysis/repair, and that I would hear back from SIG in TWO to THREE WEEKS after they received it. Based on Sir Slappy's post, I was hoping for 2-3 DAYS, which I said to the customer service rep.
Me: "Two to three weeks?? Gosh, I was hoping for two to three DAYS. I'm not asking for installation of aftermarket products. I have a brand new gun that doesn't work."
Cust. Serv. Rep. (very snooty): "Do you want the shipping label or not?"
Me: "Well, I guess since I just shelled out over $900 for a brand new pistol that I cannot return and that won't even load correctly, yes, send me the label".

Long story short, since I have read that others have had the same issues with their p224s, I'm not extremely upset that mine isn't working perfectly (yet). What made me write this post is the fact that I was expecting much better customer service from SIG. I don't expect them to drop everything and service my gun the second it reaches their shop, but I expect a little courtesy from their customer service department. And possibly waiting almost a month to even hear what the issues are seems very excessive. I'm not asking for custom work done on the gun; I'm asking them to fix a defective gun that should have never left the factory (without working properly) in the first place. Frankly, they should probably issue a recall of all p224s made in mid-summer of 2013, because that production run(s) obviously had some issues that are creating several unhappy customers. Making your customers unhappy probably isn't the best way to stay in business.
Maybe I'll get lucky and hear something from SIG much quicker than I was quoted by the rep. I'm reasonably confident that the problems will be resolved. I'm just sad and frustrated that I won't get a working firearm for several days, if not several weeks.
Did you copy my post? lol, I bought one on 1-11-14 and had the exact same issue. I managed to load one in the chamber manually(sticking my fingers in the hole for ejection) and fired it and the next one jammed as well. I tried two different mags and two different types of ammo...same result. My Sig will arrive in Exeter NH tomorrow via Fed Ex. My rep was very polite and I had know problems. Mine was built 6-29-13. They OBVIOUSLY had problems last summer during this production run, I have talked with a few other forum members that sent theirs in and got them back and they were flawless. I'm guessing Sig already knows what the problem is and it will be an easy and quick fix. I hope to have mine back the 1st week of February, I will try to let everyone know how it performs then. Sorry about your (our) luck. Did yours have the plastic tool that you use to remove the ergo grips?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I recently purchased a 224 myself. I read the complaints in the different forums, I even started a thread and asked for information and manufacture dates. All the problems seemed to be with those made 07/01/13 and some later. Mine has a manufacture date of 05/24/13. I brought it home and tried snap caps and had no problems. On my first trip to the range, I tried 4 or 5 brands of FMJ and HP. Mine had problems with Georgia Arms and Tulammo Brass Maxx. I still try to buy different brand to try when I go to the range. So far I have just the 2 brands causing problems. Good luck with your gun.

·
Registered
704 Posts
tcfiero, how many rounds do you have through your P224 now? Have you gone back and tried those two different ammo types since then? I've never tried reloads through mine, but have considered it on occasion. Thus far, I've only run Winchester white box, Blazer aluminum, PMC Bronze, and Winchester Ranger Talons. I haven't had an issue with any of those.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I probably have approximately 1000 through the Gun. Yes I have gone back and tried the offending brands again to no avail. I will try them again next range session. My original mags are much easier to load now. That might just help with the troublesome brands.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sarge,
I tried different rounds from different manufacturers, none of which loaded, and none of which would easily fit 10 rounds in the mags. I didn't continuously cycle rounds through the gun. I couldn't have, even if I wanted to, because every single round jammed between the mag and the chamber. And never fear, I extracted them onto a towel on the counter - while standing in a padded room - wearing full body armor - surrounded by stuffed animals, who were all holding bulletproof foam pillows.
Thanks for the lecture, but long story short, when I pay more money (compared to SIG's competition) for an alleged top-of-the-line product, I expect it to work from Day One - without me having to tinker with it. Imagine buying a new Ferrari and having to pop the hood before you even left the dealership to fix problems with it. Why should buying a NIB SIG be any different? If I had bought the gun from some random guy's trunk in the parking lot of a gun show, I wouldn't complain. Nevertheless, since I didn't want to wait several weeks to actually have a working P224. I asked the customer service rep. if I could do something to fix it without having to send it to SIG, and he offered nothing but a shipping label. Maybe he was just having a bad day. Maybe I should send him one of my stuffed animals holding a bulletproof foam pillow to cheer him up.
From other posts I've read, I think the magazine issue would have resolved itself by leaving rounds in the mags for a couple of days. But I don't think the FTF issue would have been resolved from shooting the gun. That is based on the posts I've read online and videos on YouTube of the exact same issue with this gun. I'm sure SIG will make it right. My purpose of the post was to warn others who may be considering the P224 that this might be a problem with the gun. If I had done a Goggle search for "SIG P224 jamming issues" before I bought the gun, I probably would have bought something else - or at least made sure I didn't buy a P224 made in mid-summer, 2013. I love my P229, and I'm sure (in a few weeks) I'll love the P224.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sarge,
I tried different rounds from different manufacturers, none of which loaded, and none of which would easily fit 10 rounds in the mags. I didn't continuously cycle rounds through the gun. I couldn't have, even if I wanted to, because every single round jammed between the mag and the chamber. And never fear, I extracted them onto a towel on the counter - while standing in a padded room - wearing full body armor - surrounded by stuffed animals, who were all holding bulletproof foam pillows.
Thanks for the lecture, but long story short, when I pay more money (compared to SIG's competition) for an alleged top-of-the-line product, I expect it to work from Day One - without me having to tinker with it. Imagine buying a new Ferrari and having to pop the hood before you even left the dealership to fix problems with it. Why should buying a NIB SIG be any different? If I had bought the gun from some random guy's trunk in the parking lot of a gun show, I wouldn't complain. Nevertheless, since I didn't want to wait several weeks to actually have a working P224. I asked the customer service rep. if I could do something to fix it without having to send it to SIG, and he offered nothing but a shipping label. Maybe he was just having a bad day. Maybe I should send him one of my stuffed animals holding a bulletproof foam pillow to cheer him up.
From other posts I've read, I think the magazine issue would have resolved itself by leaving rounds in the mags for a couple of days. But I don't think the FTF issue would have been resolved from shooting the gun. That is based on the posts I've read online and videos on YouTube of the exact same issue with this gun. I'm sure SIG will make it right. My purpose of the post was to warn others who may be considering the P224 that this might be a problem with the gun. If I had done a Goggle search for "SIG P224 jamming issues" before I bought the gun, I probably would have bought something else - or at least made sure I didn't buy a P224 made in mid-summer, 2013. I love my P229, and I'm sure (in a few weeks) I'll love the P224.
I agree with you 100%. I paid $1000 for my Sig because all my others have always been flawless and I expected my P224 to be also...but it wasn't. Sig will make mine right I'm 100% sure. I should get it back in a week and a half, hopefully, it will be smooth sailing from there on out. As many problems as they had with these, I'm sure they know the fix before they even get it back. IMO, should have been a recall. I just wonder how they tested them at the factory, mine wouldn't feed for nothing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
p224 ***

I bought a p224 with a date of 9/12/13. I own 3 other sigs a p226 9mm and a p230 made in w Germany and a new p226 .40 cal extreme. Top notch weapons! However this p224 really makes me wonder about the quality! I took this to the range brand new, after I field stripped and lubricated (for those of you who may doubt my diligence) and this pistol cycled a total of 1 round! I fired a total of 4 rounds out of it b4 I got totally frustrated and decided to call sig. Customer Service has sent me a label and told me that my weapon would be put in line with all other weapons in for repair or whatever. I explained that this was a defective product that should have never been sold in the first place! The guy I talked to was very nice about telling me "it is our policy". This is the part that I have a problem with! When a repeat 5x customer buys a defective product and the company policy is "It doesn't matter". That is just wrong! Having said all that. I love my other sigs as I tend to be a walking commercial for them. But like anything relationships must always be re-evaluated! Stay tuned!

·
Registered
11,553 Posts
I bought a p224 with a date of 9/12/13. I own 3 other sigs a p226 9mm and a p230 made in w Germany and a new p226 .40 cal extreme. Top notch weapons! However this p224 really makes me wonder about the quality! I took this to the range brand new, after I field stripped and lubricated (for those of you who may doubt my diligence) and this pistol cycled a total of 1 round! I fired a total of 4 rounds out of it b4 I got totally frustrated and decided to call sig. Customer Service has sent me a label and told me that my weapon would be put in line with all other weapons in for repair or whatever. I explained that this was a defective product that should have never been sold in the first place! The guy I talked to was very nice about telling me "it is our policy". This is the part that I have a problem with! When a repeat 5x customer buys a defective product and the company policy is "It doesn't matter". That is just wrong! Having said all that. I love my other sigs as I tend to be a walking commercial for them. But like anything relationships must always be re-evaluated! Stay tuned!
I can certainly understand your frustration with having to send a brand new gun back for repair. I'm confused by your comment though (highlight added). Are you upset that Sig wouldn't put your gun in front of others (say from "first time" owners) received for repair?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, defective products should not be placed on rotation, they should be taken care of ASAP. There is a difference between shooting a weapon for 10 yrs and then deciding to have some work done on it for whatever reason and buying something brand new that just doesn't work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You're not out of line and you don't deserve a lecture. My experience with the Customer Service Dept. has been less than satisfactory. I'm sure others have not always been happy with turnaround time etc. So why the lecture?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Received Email from sig on 2/14 that my p224 has shipped back to me. The turn around time from sig is impressive. They had it a week or less! Hopefully the FTF problems are resolved. Will update after I get to range

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update. Got the 224 back from SIG the first week of Feb. I've been traveling and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it seems to be feeding fine - which I'm very happy about. I'm hoping all problems have been resolved! Based on this message stream alone, if I ran SIG, I would issue a recall of ALL unsold p224s manufactured last summer. There is no doubt that there was an issue with at least one production run. Knowingly letting defective guns be sold does nothing but tarnish SIG's reputation as a top-tier gun manufacturer. I love my p229 and will hopefully love the p224, but I can't say I'll be too eager to purchase another SIG anytime soon - or even to recommend the brand to friends. Props to SIG for fixing the problem (fingers crossed). Thumbs down for essentially knowingly selling a defective gun. Seven months is long enough to figure out there was a problem with that production batch. And I'll bet my right arm that my gun was NOT test-fired (at least with rounds fed from the magazine) before it shipped to the dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
update

Just got back from the range. Sig sent back the p224 with note from gunsmith, 1) polished feed ramp 2) adjusted extractor. I ran 100 rnds thru it with no FTF's. However, (and I know this is going to sound unbelievable) when I load the mags (yes both) more times than not a round will fall out and the previous rnds will sit down in the mag where I can slide the next one in with no pressure on it and it will fall out. I did call Sig about this and I don't think he believed me. He offered for me to send the weapon back again with the mags to be evaluated again. I declined until I was able to get to range to see of the FTF's problem was resolved. In the meantime I bought a 3rd mag from ebay which functioned perfectly. I am going to call again on Monday to see if I can get any satisfaction from customer disservice. I agree with Willventure in that these weapons should never have made it out of the factory and that if they test fired it they didn't do it thru a magazine as the FTF problem was such that you couldn't push the slide closed as the round would get hung up almost straight up and down. I wish this would be my last post concerning this weapon but unfortunately the saga continues.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the same problem with my 224 SAS 40 and had to return it. It's fine now, but it makes me wonder how there were no FTF problems when they test fired it at the factory. Seriously, my FTF rate was 70-80 percent. How could that get by them?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts