SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as i am searching for my new 224...i seem to find the Equinox as well as the extreme online...but i am not familiar with the Equinox....can u please tell me more about the differences?....i am looking for a sa/da and night sights and the srt trigger too...thanks in advance God Bless,John

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
Pretty much the same pistol with some "trim" differences; Extreme looks more business, Equinox looks more beauty.

Extreme comes with SRT, front cocking serration, G10 grips, SIG nitesights, and all black finish. Equinox comes with nickel/silver controls, stainless accents on the slide, TruGlo front sight, G10 grips or wood grips depending on production era. I haven't seen the Equinox advertised as coming with the SRT, but it could be added easily enough.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
That's right, the DAK is also an option on both models. Something to watch for as you shop to make sure what you buy has the trigger mechanism that you want.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Here is my EDC P224. Sorry about the poor cell phone picture.

It has the "extreme" finish. I am not sure why they call it that although the finish is holding up pretty well. My wife likes the appearance of the grips.

I find it amusing to read about how bad the finishes are on these guns. Try the finish on an S&W from the 80s. Fifteen or 20 trips in and out of a holster and the blueing would be worn off the gun's edges.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Extreme-G10 grips, SRT, finish is same color on upper and lower
Equinox-2 tone finish, nickle plated controls, regular trigger, Black Diamondwood grips

SRT only important if you get DA/SA and not DAK. If you get DAK, it is which one you like better.

My advice, since you have mentioned Ankle Carry (as opposed to Open Carry), Two tone finish and nickle controls will not matter. The SRT WILL matter, so go for the Extreme with the G10s with the SRT in DA/SA. If you like the Equinox you can always add the SRT.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2015 catalog says the 224 EQ has "short trigger"
Same page calls the 224 Extreme "short reset trigger"
Says grips on both 224 versions are G10 variants

227 EQ same catalog shows "one piece ergonomic grip"

Other EQ's same catalog show "black diamond wood" grips. Those are what came on my 226 & 938 EQ's

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
The "short trigger" (a.k.a., Trigger-7) was standard on all P224 models, and the P229C as well.

In my experience, the standard reach Trigger-6 found on most P-series pistols will not fit in the P224 or 229C without interference during live fire.

Leg

Note, there is no trigger in an SRT Kit. SRT is independent of the trigger.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
The "short trigger" (a.k.a., Trigger-7) was standard on all P224 models, and the P229C as well.

In my experience, the standard reach Trigger-6 found on most P-series pistols will not fit in the P224 or 229C without interference during live fire.

View attachment 131234

Note, there is no trigger in an SRT Kit. SRT is independent of the trigger.
Why do you think the standard trigger would cause issues? I've handled a few P224's with them, I believe they were all CPO units.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
The problem that I found was with the greater thickness of the trigger over the trigger bar pin hole on the Trigger-6 compared to the Trigger-7. When the barrel cams down during live fire recoil (which it does with some velocity), the bottom of the barrel lug hits the top of the trigger. I found this when swapping out the short trigger for a standard trigger in my P229C. The 229C is the same as the 224 in this area.

I detailed the interference and the fix in this post: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/49257-p229-carry-house-8.html#post616729

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I will say that my 224 is my favorite trigger. (224 Extreme .40 with the SRT) I read somewhere (I hate it when people say that) that the 224 trigger has a lighter DA pull than the other 220 series DA/SA pistols out of the box. 8lbs (stock) I recall. I looked and cannot find that listed so I may have dreamed it. But regardless of the reason or if it is just luck, I LOVE my 224 trigger configuration.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
I was very pleased with the trigger feel on the P229C out of the box (again, same setup as the 224). Not so much that it was lighter than others I've had, but it was very, very smooth.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
The problem that I found was with the greater thickness of the trigger over the trigger bar pin hole on the Trigger-6 compared to the Trigger-7. When the barrel cams down during live fire recoil (which it does with some velocity), the bottom of the barrel lug hits the top of the trigger. I found this when swapping out the short trigger for a standard trigger in my P229C. The 229C is the same as the 224 in this area.

I detailed the interference and the fix in this post: http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/49257-p229-carry-house-8.html#post616729
Interesting, makes me wonder if SIG does anything like this to these CPO units to use the standard trigger.

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
I will say that my 224 is my favorite trigger. (224 Extreme .40 with the SRT) I read somewhere (I hate it when people say that) that the 224 trigger has a lighter DA pull than the other 220 series DA/SA pistols out of the box. 8lbs (stock) I recall. I looked and cannot find that listed so I may have dreamed it. But regardless of the reason or if it is just luck, I LOVE my 224 trigger configuration.

My P224 SAS is my favorite shooting SIG partially because of the trigger.

·
🎖USA Veteran
11,999 Posts
Interesting, makes me wonder if SIG does anything like this to these CPO units to use the standard trigger.
That's an interesting question, would like to know the answer myself.

With the slide removed, the hammer lowered and the trigger held to the rear, you can see the top of the trigger thru the opening in the locking insert. Just in case you get the chance to take a closer look at those P224 CPOs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.