SIG Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a P220 Hunter I'm putting a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro on using a EGW dove tail mount. Anyone else done this?

Specifically I want to know what front sight you used? I want to replace the front sight with something that will co-witness with the DPP and the DPP optional rear iron sight.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,034 Posts
I have a P220 Hunter I'm putting a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro on using a EGW dove tail mount. Anyone else done this?

Specifically I want to know what front sight you used? I want to replace the front sight with something that will co-witness with the DPP and the DPP optional rear iron sight.
That is a tough call, since you are going to need to know the height of the replacement rear sight.
Take either the 226 RX or 320 RX, they use the suppressor sights, but the optic is mounted to the milled slide, making it lower. Mounting the leupold on a dovetail adapter, will make it almost too high for conventional height, or common suppressor height iron sights to co-witness.

Since I could not find the rear sight you mentioned, but you would probably need to have a custom front sight made.

Reactions: kansascity45

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a tough call, since you are going to need to know the height of the replacement rear sight.
Take either the 226 RX or 320 RX, they use the suppressor sights, but the optic is mounted to the milled slide, making it lower. Mounting the leupold on a dovetail adapter, will make it almost too high for conventional height, or common suppressor height iron sights to co-witness.

Since I could not find the rear sight you mentioned, but you would probably need to have a custom front sight made.
Here is the iron sight option:

https://www.leupold.com/tactical/pro-gear/tools-and-accessories/deltapoint-pro-rear-iron-sight/

I think for the front sight, I measure the distance from the top of the slide to the bottom of the DeltaPoint Pro window and add .065. This should give me the front sight height. Whether I can find one is another matter.

·
14,034 Posts
Here is the iron sight option:

https://www.leupold.com/tactical/pro-gear/tools-and-accessories/deltapoint-pro-rear-iron-sight/

I think for the front sight, I measure the distance from the top of the slide to the bottom of the DeltaPoint Pro window and add .065. This should give me the front sight height. Whether I can find one is another matter.
Remember, Finding the "difference" between your current front and rear sight heights will give you a "reasonable" start, because you are raising your sight plane over the bore line, and optimally you want them to cross at a predetermined distance. In other words POI = POA.

It would probably be best to make a plain bladed "Try" sight, a little taller than estimated need. Then slowly "shave it down" until POI = POA. Then you have a measurement to use for front sight height, to try and have something made, such as a fiber optic type front.

·
Registered
7,894 Posts
Yeah, think Mr Willard is right - this is gonna be tough. I mean, using a dove tail mount is convenient, but a front sight high enough for co-witness may be an inch tall!!

For perspective, here're pics of my FNX-45 Tactical with Trijicon's RMR on FN's optic mount slide mortise. This slide cutout is ~1/8" into the slide and the front sight ~1/2" high.

I'm not sure how much higher your dove tail mount will position the optic. But assuming it'll move the optic up ~1/2" probably makes a co-witness front sight a full inch tall...

Here's my co-witness

Here's a right side view of this setup.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wbpo5l, have you mounted the RMR adapter plate to your 220 hunter? If so, any problems?
I have not. Waiting for the mount to arrive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please let me know how you make out with the install. I have a 220 hunter 10mm and want to put an RMR on it.
I looked at the RMR. Really liked it but there were things I liked about the Leupold. For one, the sight picture is larger compared to the RMR (I need all the help I can get). The battery is replaced on the top, no need to remove it. The instant on was a nice feature and works surprisingly well. It needs to because the battery life is much shorter than the RMR.

The RMR is shorter so it might co-witness with replacement iron sights better...we'll see.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, think Mr Willard is right - this is gonna be tough. I mean, using a dove tail mount is convenient, but a front sight high enough for co-witness may be an inch tall!!

For perspective, here're pics of my FNX-45 Tactical with Trijicon's RMR on FN's optic mount slide mortise. This slide cutout is ~1/8" into the slide and the front sight ~1/2" high.

I'm not sure how much higher your dove tail mount will position the optic. But assuming it'll move the optic up ~1/2" probably makes a co-witness front sight a full inch tall...

Here's my co-witness

Here's a right side view of this setup.

Cheers
I have the same gun also (funny how brilliant minds think alike). That will be the next gun I put a reflex sight on if I like the way it works on my Hunter. I even think we have the same tactical light. Mine has a laser also. Yours?...scary...you weren't adopted were you?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The mount I ordered did not fit. Even though it was for a P220, the Hunter is not the same.

·
14,034 Posts
The standard P220 uses a fixed sight. Your "Hunter" model has an adjustable rear sight.

Since your mount has the dovetail of the mount separate, you may be able to find a local gunsmith who can manufacture a dovetail that will fit your slide, and mount the adapter plate to.

If this is an LPA adjustable sight, you may be able to get an adapter, that will fit that "cut".

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again. Just going to wait until the Sig Romeo1 solution comes out for this gun.

BTW, almost forgot...Sig said instead of mounts, they would be offering milled replacement slides for reflex optics when I called them today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.