SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short...I've got 2 failed attempts at picking up a P229 SAS in 9mm. I own 2 M11-A1s, so no need for that suggestion. :D

I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to diversify my Sig collection. I've found a P220 compact, but it looks like the model has been discontinued. So my question is say 5-15 years down the line do you think I'll have trouble finding springs, grips, mags and parts for this pistol? Or have I already answered my own question?

Overall how did you guys/gals like your P220 compact? Is it worth the trouble, or should I move on to a P225 A1 or similar?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have one and really like it. I have a bunch of the compact (6 round) mags and also use the 8 round P220 mags with the x-grips spacer. As far as parts go, I'm not sure. I believe it shares at least some internals with the P220 so some stuff will remain available. I'm not too worried myself.

As to moving on to a 225 instead - up to you. Get both. Sometimes I'm in a .45 mood, sometimes a 9mm mood.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have one and really like it. I have a bunch of the compact (6 round) mags and also use the 8 round P220 mags with the x-grips spacer. As far as parts go, I'm not sure. I believe it shares at least some internals with the P220 so some stuff will remain available. I'm not too worried myself.

As to moving on to a 225 instead - up to you. Get both. Sometimes I'm in a .45 mood, sometimes a 9mm mood.
So, ignoring parts, with the X grip spacer there's no real advantage of the P220 Carry compared to the P220 Compact? Since the carry has a compact barrel with a full size grip.

·
Registered
210 Posts
So, ignoring parts, with the X grip spacer there's no real advantage of the P220 Carry compared to the P220 Compact? Since the carry has a compact barrel with a full size grip.
If you are ignoring parts then no, I don't see a big advantage to the carry. I do wish Hogue made a finger grip for the 220 compact but they never did. That would be my only upside to the carry is you can use the after market p220 grips.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as parts, the concern is specific to the compact version...I'm guessing grips and hammer springs/struts would be the major 3. I'm sure the rest of the parts are the same as a full size P220. So I guess it's probably not a big concern then.

I feel like I can always get a P225, but a P220 Compact is a little more rare in 2017, unless the Legion rumor is true.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,638 Posts
Long story short...I've got 2 failed attempts at picking up a P229 SAS in 9mm. I own 2 M11-A1s, so no need for that suggestion. :D

I'm wondering if I should take the opportunity to diversify my Sig collection. I've found a P220 compact, but it looks like the model has been discontinued. So my question is say 5-15 years down the line do you think I'll have trouble finding springs, grips, mags and parts for this pistol? Or have I already answered my own question?

Overall how did you guys/gals like your P220 compact? Is it worth the trouble, or should I move on to a P225 A1 or similar?
Not to discourage you from the P220 Compact... these have been available recently... https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p229-sas-gen2-9mm-custom-shop.html?___SID=U

Reactions: bearone2

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
If you want a P220 Compact, which I prefer to the P220 Carry for concealed carry, you might also consider the vintage P245. Uses the same springs and mags, but with the folded steel slide instead of the stainless on the P220 Compact, has a phenomenally better balance in the hand.

The P245 is the original P220 Compact.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not to discourage you from the P220 Compact... these have been available recently... https://www.cdnnsports.com/sig-sauer-p229-sas-gen2-9mm-custom-shop.html?___SID=U
Yes, they were on sale the weekend of St Patrick's Day. I posted about my experience in another thread. I couldn't buy because they didn't have the "the Sig Armorer's" FFL info. Then they added it to the list... after the sale ended. I hear they're a great company, I had a bad experience.

If they have another sale... I might buy it.

·
Registered
55,927 Posts
Did not know there was a stainless p220 compact in the wild! Is that all stainless, nickel, or refinished? Def goes now on my instabuy list. Beautiful, thanks for posting!

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk
all stainless

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Yes, they were on sale the weekend of St Patrick's Day. I posted about my experience in another thread. I couldn't buy because they didn't have the "the Sig Armorer's" FFL info. Then they added it to the list... after the sale ended. I hear they're a great company, I had a bad experience.

If they have another sale... I might buy it.
I would never do business with them if they won't make a sale and then accept the FFL copy. That is just not ethical, IMHO. And I wouldn't recommend them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I need to follow up on one more point to this that may or may not bother you. The x-grips adapter does add some chunk to the mag which isn't there normally (because it is in the grip) and you might not like if you are carrying extra magazines. Here is a picture of my P220 compact with an 8 round magazine in it, and an empty 8 rounder next to it both with the adapters. Or just carry the 6 rounders and chunky problem solved. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the SIg P220 Compact and love it. IT is the SAS version from the sig custom shop and has the DAK trigger which initially I was leary of but have come to actual enjoy it. I one time I considered converting it to a DA/SA but really no reason to,as I shoot it just a well as the DA/SA Sigs. It also has the stainless slide with the internal extractor which some may have had problems with but I have never experienced the first problem. I did purchase a spare extractor just in case of any problems in the future. Bruce Gray does offer an new design and improved extractor for the stainless steel slides with the internal extractor which is also an option should I ever experience a problem. I have had this pistol since its build date of 2007 and have used it numerous times to qualify with and shoot it just as well as my P226. I do have spare 8 round magazines with the X-Grip which I carry as spares. For carry concealed the shorter grip is a big advantage. Because the compact is so much easier to carry concealed and I prefer to carry a 45acp I will never part with this pistol.It is my EDC.

·
Banned
6,289 Posts
I don't think so. Personally, I think all these companies have it all wrong with the whole "carry" concept. It isn't a shorter barrel that makes the gun more concealable, but a shorter grip. Or maybe the consumer doesn't get it...not sure which, but I did have someone explain that the reason they make a "carry" model is b/c LE requested it for a lighter gun to carry on their belts. The shorter barrel makes the gun lighter and easier to manipulate in tight spaces, but the full size grip makes it manageable. IDK if I buy into that, but as it relates to concealed carry, the compact is a better option as I see it.

·
Registered
17,787 Posts
The grip on the 220 Compact is large enough to manage the recoil of the gun, and anything more than that is superfluous.

OTOH, I do have very small hands, so others may not agree with this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts