SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a Sig P220 in .38 Super from my dad. It has a heel magazine release along with 7 magazines. I sent it to Sig for an Action Enhancement Package, Short Trigger Reset, re-blued the slide and had night sights put on the rear. Sig also replaced some springs ect.. I put Rosewood grips on it but still have the original grips which look brand new. According to Sig the gun is stamped on the bottom of the barrel showing it was made in 1988 in West Germany. When I got it back I fired a magazine to make sure it functioned fine, then cleaned it and put it back into the box. Anyway I have been approached by and told by several gunsmiths that just the magazines are rare, as is the pistol. How much is this pistol worth approximately since I have seven magazines and about $600.00 worth of work done on it by Sig Sauer? It looks brand new.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
This is a gun that collectors have become interested in, so it would probably be worth more in its original condition. In the eyes of a collector, the work you've done on the gun will not add value, and may detract from it.

Do you still have the original box, manual, and test target?

Reactions: ni hao and FLASIG

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You have a very nice gun there. Just as an old SIG carrier, LE SIG armorer, and guy with an interest in both the 38 Super and 9MM versions of the P220, having kind of followed these on auction sites,etc, I'll throw in my .02 worth. Were that gun mine, and I intended to keep and shoot it myself, I might very well have had the work you mentioned done. That being said, the later P220s with the side button magazine release seem to be more desirable to potential buyers. Collectors want high condition unmodified, unrefinished guns. As alluded to by DBS, original box,serial numbered to the gun, manual,target,etc. add value. New or excellent P220 heel release type magazines might sell for $100.00 or more on an auction site. The side button type magazines tend to be more desirable as they can be used in either the heel release or side button release type SIG P220s. As to value in the pistol's current condition, I'd suggest looking at completed auctions on GunBroker or similar sites. I have seen prices all over the place on similar guns, starting at about $800.00. One SIG similar to yours, that appeared to be in mint condition with original box, paperwork, etc., and offered with a starting price of approx. $2100.00, languished on GB for a couple of years. I never saw a bid on it. Anyway, if that gun were mine, considering the work done on it, I'd be keeping and shooting it now and then.

PS, that gun sure sounds like a beauty. Any chance you could post a few photos for us SIG fans?

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
As a collector and a purist ....you have done more damage to the gun value than the cost of the work. The bad part is that you can't 'undo' some of these such as re-bluing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Original condition.

The guys are correct about the original condition status of the pistol. It's only original once as Jay Leno once said. However, it is a great pistol and is probably as accurate as anything can be right out of the box. It will make a great shooter.

The American button release .38 Supers have gone through the overhead on price. They are currently bringing $1700, plus on GB in the original box with manual, target, etc.

I have a few of the .38 Super American release P220. The only one that is not original looked like it spent most of it's life in a holster. I got it for $600 and had Sig perform the SSP, short trigger, barrel refinish and grip replacement. It looks new, almost.

As for the European magazines, they are popping up on EBay and GB for anywhere from $120-150 (asking price). I've see the American version go for as much as $200-250 a piece (crazy).

Enjoy the pistol at the range and keep it in your collection.

·
Registered
268 Posts
100% with reedger. Wish someone would give me one.

Reactions: reedger

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
The OP takes a Sig worth in the neighborhood of $1700 then spends $600 to turn it into a 600 dollar gun

Nice going OP
Yep, kinda what I said. :eek:

·
Registered
313 Posts
The bashing really isn't necessary. Hindsight is 20/20. Besides, it's his damn gun he should do as he pleases.

Sorry OP, you messed up a collectible handgun. Your punishment is now that you have to keep a great shooter and enjoy the hell out of it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The bashing really isn't necessary. Hindsight is 20/20. Besides, it's his damn gun he should do as he pleases.

Sorry OP, you messed up a collectible handgun. .
Well no.
The Bashing is deserved

He can do what he pleases, sure, but re read his post, the OP wanted to know what his creation is WORTH.

He was thinking wrongly that he enhanced the value, wrongly thinking that he created a masterpiece

We told him what it's worth

Unfortunately, worth FAR less than the gun that he started out with

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.