SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a P2022 and almost every time I shoot, the slide gets stuck when returning to its original position. If I put slight pressure on the back of the slide it will move forward.

I have had this for 2 months and put 500 rounds through it and cleaned it after after every time at the range.

Registered
Hi guys,

I have a P2022 and almost every time I shoot, the slide gets stuck when returning to its original position. If I put slight pressure on the back of the slide it will move forward.

I have had this for 2 months and put 500 rounds through it and cleaned it after after every time at the range.
I the think the gun has been run dry. Clean it up. Remove barrel and spring. Oil it up soaking went careful not to get any in fire pin channel. Install slide on rails wand work it back and forth full length till it frees up or you can feel where it is hanging. When nice and smooth disassemble, wipe dry, reassemble, and coat the rails and groves with ultra lube, tw-25 or another high quality grease, not oil. Good shooting!

Registered
Yeah I'm estimating to did-*** every 500 rounds or so, I guess to compare what I intend to do with mine with where your currently at and what sgt ed said... I just plan on using oil, but, It does sound like its run dry. I'm gunna lube the slide every time I shoot, but only dis-*** about 500 or so to clean. Probably do a full break down every 1000.

Registered
It should not do this during normal shooting even after a few thousand rounds without cleaning.

If an ordinary amount of lube, applied as directed in the owner's manual, does not correct the problem, it needs to go back to SIG for additional fitting.

In the 1911 world, that is called "ker-chunk" as the slide does not close smoothly in one motion and sometimes hangs up on a cartridge and just needs that last little push. If it is "ker-chunking," it needs to go back for service.

With a 1911 gunsmith, all you had to say was "fix the ker-chunk" and they knew what you meant. As SIG Sauer really does not have "1911 gunsmiths" as that term was used in the 1960s through the 1990s, I am not sure what to tell them. I say this not as an insult, but because computer built guns often require little to no "fitting" in the sense that 1911s required in the past. Little to no fitting means little to no experience.

I cannot believe this is happening in a 2022 as that model is known to be monotonous in its reliability and it runs like a top. I have never seen one that did not chamber as smoothly as a several thousand dollar 1911.

Perhaps, "weapon does not feed smoothly and sometimes must be closed by a sharp blow with the back of the hand on the rear of the slide." :) Maybe they will understand that!

Resident Armorer Premium Member
Welcome to Sig Talk from the southwest corner of Indiana.

Sgt Ed hit the nail on the head I believe, remember most of the "lube" you see when new, is preservative, and not lubricant. Since the "rear" of the barrel "locks" into the ejection port, even through the "magic" of CNC machining, tolerance stacking may cause some minor glitches. Lube it well, and it should wear in.

Unless it happens "every" cycle, which it sounds like it does, and running it "wet" doesn't improve it's performance, then give Sig a call.

Registered
When I first bought and shot my 2022 this same thing happened to me only twice in a 100 rounds. Since this was my first handgun I followed the instructions and used only oil. I had only put a moderate amount of oil on the rails after the initial breakdown and cleaning. After a bit of research and reading I found that many people find that a layer of grease on the rails works better on Sigs and I have done this ever since and the problem has not reappeared in over 1000 rounds.

馃帠USAF Veteran
I also use grease on the rails and my 2022 runs fine that way. Hope you get yours straightened out because the 2022 is a great shooter.

馃帠USA Veteran
Check Your Extractor

What caliber is your 2022 chambered in? I'm going to guess 40 S&W. The slide only hangs up when chambering a round and not when closing the slide with the chamber empty?

It sounds like the round being chambered is getting hung up as the casing base slides up behind the extractor claw. Suggest removing the extractor from the slide and inspecting the area just behind the claw for signs of burrs or sharp edge. Polish the area shown in this pic:

Technology Electronic device

Edit: This pic and my suggestion is for the external short extractor, not the internal extractor on some P2022s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.