SIG Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

New member here and excited to join the SIG community. Currently just own the P229RX Legion and love it. This is my first gun in a long while (owned a shotgun years back). I'm in the market for a rifle mainly for home defense and marksmanship skills. Having never owned a rifle of the sort, I of course gravitate towards SIG products.

I'm looking at either the SIG MCX VIRTUS Patrol or SIG516 Patrol FDE and wanted to get members opinions of the two and what would be the best firearm for essentially an entry level AR style rifle.

I'm looking for something that will be long-lasting, reliable, and fairly easy to maintain.

The reviews for the SIG MCX VIRTUS so far (Gen2) seem good, and I like the idea of barrel and other options to different configurations down the road. People have also told me a cold-forged barrel will last longer (but I don't see myself putting 20,000 rounds downrange in the future).

The SIG516 Patrol FDE seems to be a great AR rifle and I initially was really looking to get until I saw the MCX. I understand it's slightly cheaper, but an investment such as this I may not mind shelling out the $$$. The reviews I find are vary...

Should I be worried about accessories (MLOK vs M1913 Rail)?
I know both are gas piston and can be easier to maintain and clean?

I have a gunstore friend talking about a custom build Direct Impingement AR, and that could be a nice project and maybe cheaper, but seeing this would be a new category for me I'm not so sure about knowing what I want and what I should get. Thus, my reasoning for staying with a factory build like SIG.

Any suggestions on the SIG MCX VIRTUS Patrol and the SIG516 Patrol FDE would be appreciated!

Thanks!
CGONZA

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
The questions that need to be asked in the 516 versus the Virtus decision is what's important to the user. The Virtus can change caliber and barrel length (subject to Federal law under the NFA.) The Virtus stock can be folded forward to make it more compact while the 516 cannot be shortened as much.

The 516 is slightly lighter and has better control of the gas system with both a multi position gas valve versus a dual position gas valve on the Virtus. AND the 516 has a buffer with spring system that can be fine tuned with AR 15 parts. The added tuning of the 516 can make it a better suppressor host.

The FDE version of the 516 has a quad rail that easier on the hands than the black version. M-LOK just adds a step to adding a device like a light or a bipod. M-LOK has almost as much support as the 1913 rail.

Bill

·
Registered
64 Posts
No experience with a 516, I do own an MCX. That being said if this were my first foray into a modern sporting rifle I would go with the 516. It is basically Sigs take on an AR but with their proprietary piston system so you want to sbr it or swap this that or the other and the upper? 516 can handle it. The MCX is the MCX and is only supported and compatible by Sig MCX stuff. Then when you find out how enjoyable a modern sporting rifle is? Buy an MCX and a Scar and a custom AR and all the various and sundry in my humble opinion. If I were to only have one it would be the 516. If Sig disappears tomorrow there are thousands of AR manufacturers who make uppers to plop on that thing in every caliber from .22 to single shot 50 bmg

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
In your situation I would recommend a factory built rifle for sure. I would also recommend a Sig M400 or Colt 6920, both standard DI guns. I had a 516 for 5 years and it was a good rifle but ultimately, it really did nothing better than my DI guns and was heavier. IMHO the piston AR thing is over. The piston system does keep the bolt carrier group cleaner but you just have to clean a different part of the gun (the piston). In my experience there’s no advantage at all to a piston over a well built DI gun. I’ve had numerous DI guns since the late 80s and can’t see spending more money for a heavier piston gun over any quality DI.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Virtus is the right choice for you. And do not buy the M400... And the Piston system is def better. 1, the Piston system handles the heat and cycling better and has gas adjustment for different loads. 2 the Piston system works better in the cold, that's why the Swiss use it. Personally if do the 516, but I know what I want and how I want things set up. You don't... You'll want the flexibility of the vitrus. It's really a no brainer for your situation.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
It's a good question - I have both and like 'em a lot - They're fine rifles. MrMcGoo above mentions several essential points. These guns' are piston dirven and their operating controls are almost the same - But inside they are very different.

MCX is SIG's new and very proprietary design offering unique caliber and rifle setup flexibility.

SIG516 is a robust/bomb-proof piston driven gun that's only available in 223/556 with just a couple handguard options.

There's a deep & wide variety of topics related to your rifle choices. Suggest that the more focused your uses are - these choices will become more clear...

Cheers

·
Read Only
7,284 Posts
I have a 516, and it is just boring. Runs and runs and runs. I have shot an MCX, and it felt more balanced and lighter. But when I weighed them, they were the same. One had MRO and one had Trijicon. But, the MCX seemed lighter in feel..
Both are great.. You just have to choose....Needs vs wants

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
For what you’re saying, I would go MCX. It’s a little more expensive but it’s a newer design, the stock folds, lighter weight, and barrel options/caliber options. The piston ARs are kind of falling by the wayside and many people would just tell you to get a regular AR for less. I do like my 516, but it’s not a must keep to me.

·
Registered
7,766 Posts
Gotta add that MCX would be my pic if getting that first rifle today. A warning though - Buying a MCX rifle is frequently only the beginning.

Yeah, owning MCX's modular platform provides great flexability, but also provides a weakness for additional components you'll 'need' - It's endless!!

Here's a dated image of my MCX kit. Since this pic I've added another complete rifle (16" 5.56 Virtus in FDE), 2 barrel kits and another handguard...

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Gotta add that MCX would be my pic if getting that first rifle today. A warning though - Buying a MCX rifle is frequently only the beginning.

Yeah, owning MCX's modular platform provides great flexability, but also provides a weakness for additional components you'll 'need' - It's endless!!

Here's a dated image of my MCX kit. Since this pic I've added another complete rifle (16" 5.56 Virtus in FDE), 2 barrel kits and another handguard...

Modular platforms are "flexible." Flexibility gets expensive fast though!:lol:

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts