SIG Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks. Need some input, please and thank you.

I have a Sig M400 Tread AR. I thoroughly enjoy it, but like most, I look to upgrade portions. Fast forward, visited LGS, and by the time I upgrade handgard, trigger and some other goodies I'm approaching cost of a Virtus MCX.

Now...here is what I'm wanting. Ability to shoot 300-400yds. While I really like the Tread, it is definitely a new AR owner's gun. Nothing wrong with that...BUT why spend the $$$ when I could get a MCX Virtus 11.5 or 16.

I've ruled out the CaneBrake as I would like to stick with 556/223. The Virtus allows me ability to carry rifle collapsed, potentially in truck.

Please give me your thoughts on 16 v 11.5....distance, flexibility etc. All comments welcomed. I am currently on the list for a 11.5, Grey, Virtus at my LGS. Had to peel myself away from the P229 Legion staring me down..alas, I prevailed, kept $$ in pocket for my prize.

Talk to me about DI v. Piston and if any concerns about the 2 platforms. TIA.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
An 11.5 inch Virtus would need to be a pistol. If you want an SBR, buy the pistol and submit your paper work to BAFTE. When you are approved, then you can add the stock of your choice.

SBRs are legal headaches that I will never deal with. I'd rather deal with IRS or a dentist than BAFTE.

The biggest advantage to SIG MCXs is the ability to change barrel lengths and calibers. Be advised that barrel changes are expensive, hard to find and you may want a new handguard.

The disadvantages on SIG MCXs are cost, more cost, weight and proprietary parts.

I have both MCXs and MPXs. MPXs use less expensive ammo, if you can find it.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An 11.5 inch Virtus would need to be a pistol. If you want an SBR, buy the pistol and submit your paper work to BAFTE. When you are approved, then you can add the stock of your choice.

SBRs are legal headaches that I will never deal with. I'd rather deal with IRS or a dentist than BAFTE.

The biggest advantage to SIG MCXs is the ability to change barrel lengths and calibers. Be advised that barrel changes are expensive, hard to find and you may want a new handguard.

The disadvantages on SIG MCXs are cost, more cost, weight and proprietary parts.

I have both MCXs and MPXs. MPXs use less expensive ammo, if you can find it.

Bill
Thank you sir. My intent is keep it basically stock. Not fooling with all the paper work shenanigans. Re/cost...well, the handguard replacement I want is $400, trigger. It's all rather expensive.

What are your thoughts on the 11.5 v 16 for distance? Clearly 16 will be more accurate?

The sub gun doesn't really interest me at this time. Thank for the reply!!

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Probably not gonna save ya any $$s, but here are some options to think on. You mentioned shooting out 300-400yds which suggests 16" for 5.56 with 6 to 10x optic. Here's my Vitrus Patrol setup with 16" 5.56 and 1-8x24mm scope that shoots heavy loads pretty well.

You also mentioned a truck gun with folding 11.5" barrel setup. A MCX 5.56 pistol setup with 11.5" barrel is just over 22" OAL.

Haven't reached out long range with my 11.5 that usually mounts a red dot sight, works for me out to ~50ydfs

Either of these MCX setups work well, and only MCX will allow you to do both. Here's MCX with both 11.5" and 16" 5.56 setups.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Like KC45, I use a red dot on my 11.5 inch MCX. I've used both Trijicon and Aimpoint red dots on the 11.5 inch MCX pistol.

I use a 2-10 variable Vortex Razor on a 5.56 Gen. 1 5.56 which yields a lighter rifle. The other MCX 16 inch Virtus in 300 BLK wears a SIG Tango6 1-6 variable. The Virtus is heavier by over a pound.

I have Geissele triggers in all 3 rifles. They are a bit better than the stock Virtus trigger and way better than mil-spec.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks y'all. I'm new to the AR deal. Greatly appreciated. My desire for a 'do-it-all' looks to be a unicorn.

I apologize if I (obviously) ask newb questions. Your patience is MASSIVELY appreciated.

I've shot 2" at 100yds. I recognize that's sloppy and that the weapon doesn't make the man - i tend to obsesses over accuracy and mastery - again, don't want to suggest that more $$ = better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like KC45, I use a red dot on my 11.5 inch MCX. I've used both Trijicon and Aimpoint red dots on the 11.5 inch MCX pistol.

I use a 2-10 variable Vortex Razor on a 5.56 Gen. 1 5.56 which yields a lighter rifle. The other MCX 16 inch Virtus in 300 BLK wears a SIG Tango6 1-6 variable. The Virtus is heavier by over a pound.

I have Geissele triggers in all 3 rifles. They are a bit better than the stock Virtus trigger and way better than mil-spec.

Bill
I'm sorry to be a dolt. What is a lb heavier? The Virtus over the?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I'm sorry to be a dolt. What is a lb heavier? The Virtus over the?
The Virtus that I own is about one pound or a bit heavier than the Gen. 1 MCX that I own. The Gen. 1 MCXs use a lighter barrel. The SIG scope is built like a tank, so it also adds to the weight of the Virtus.

Bill

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The Virtus that I own is about one pound or a bit heavier than the Gen. 1 MCX that I own. The Gen. 1 MCXs use a lighter barrel. The SIG scope is built like a tank, so it also adds to the weight of the Virtus.

Bill
My current rig isn't light. My thought is that I'll deal with the weight, but ironically, this is where I started this process. Reducing the weight of my M400. Spending money is one thing, but spending money on an entry level weapon that will be (ultimately) traded out seems like a waste.

No judgement on what each does, piecemeal etc. I just don't want to spend 1200-1500 to upgrade a M400 when I could purchase a weapon/firearm that is more appropriate. The curse of pandemic + newbie + passionate abt what I'm into.

And again, thank you for being informative. My experience of late has not been constructive nor informative.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am going to SBR my 11.5 MCX because the Pistol stock is just not stable enough for precision shooting.
The pistol stock and Leupold DPP work fine on my MPX Copperhead for close shooting.
-Richard

·
Registered
360 Posts
OP, just remember that a pistol brace (you have to use one with 11.5" barrel) is going to be harder to be accurate with than a stock. A short barrel is also going to be tremendously loud.

·
Registered
209 Posts
OP, just remember that a pistol brace (you have to use one with 11.5" barrel) is going to be harder to be accurate with than a stock. A short barrel is also going to be tremendously loud.
Accuracy will be on par or even better with the 11.5. Also the braces out now are pretty much on par with a stock. They are all loud. Get the 11.5.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Accuracy will be on par or even better with the 11.5. Also the braces out now are pretty much on par with a stock. They are all loud. Get the 11.5.
I keep going back and forth. The question is -

if you could ONLY have (1) handgun and (1) AR/pistol. What would it be?

I have a P365, HK.45 and M400. I'm searching for a 226 Legion SAO and then a multi-use rifle. As much as I like shooting 'distance' there are a handful of places here in Atlanta metro to stretch the AR's legs.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I keep going back and forth. The question is -

if you could ONLY have (1) handgun and (1) AR/pistol. What would it be?

I have a P365, HK.45 and M400. I'm searching for a 226 Legion SAO and then a multi-use rifle. As much as I like shooting 'distance' there are a handful of places here in Atlanta metro to stretch the AR's legs.
Since you already have the M400, the 11.5 inch pistol seems to make more sense to me. Be advised that MCXs seem to be addictive and expensive due to their modular nature.

Bill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts