SIG Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I currently am new to the AR styled platform and am seeking to get rid of the plastic Magpul handgaurd. I have been looking at the troy alpha battle rail in FDE (Troy Industries Alpha Battle Rail Modular Free Float Handguard AR-15) and am curious if it will fit on my gun. From some research I have found that I might have to go with the carbine length which I believe is 7.2 inches but it would be nice to have one that's a little longer. I have attached pictures so hopefully that will help. I appreciate any advice/help!

Thanks!
Bryan

Attachments

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
13,843 Posts
Bzig7, welcome to the Forum. Now, as far as your question is concerned. The Alpha Battle rail is a free floating handguard, which will require you to remove at least your handguards slip ("Delta") ring. It clamps to your rifle's barrel nut. You may have to remove the handguard cap, which will require removing the gas block, the re-installing it.
You are stuck with the 7" model, as long as you use that gas block. By replacing the gas block with a low profile model (such as Troy's), you will be able to go any length you desire, up to 15". Your current front sight assembly will bolt up to the top rail of the handguard, and with a 15" handguard, extend your sight radius.

Just remember the longer your handguard, the heavier it will be, and the balance point will change.

Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.