SIG Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought my p226 Legion...Sexy gun. But I took it to the range and only put 15 rounds through it. Sadly, now when I pull the trigger (hammer back or not) the hammer doesn't release to hit the firing pin, it instead rides with the trigger back to its forward most position. Even doing a trigger reset, it won't release the hammer when the trigger is pulled. I'm very bummed out since I was ready to run and gun. I hope I explained it well enough, I can go further if you all want. I just want to get this baby back up and running.
Thanks!

Registered
Is is a DA/SA gun, or SAO?

Remove the right side grip, on a DA/SA gun, the aft end of the trigger bar should be up against the extended right end of the hammer pivot pin.

Have a look at post #3 in the following URL. Note that the animation hasn't been updated with the Short Reset kit, but the action of the trigger bar and the trigger bar spring (trigger return spring) is the same. In DA, the TB spring keeps the TB "cam end up against the extended hammer pivot pin on the right side - be sure this pin does, in fact, extend and the cam is up against it. As the trigger is pulled, the TB hook is up in the hammer DA notch and cocks the hammer. As the TB moves forward, cocking the hammer, the TB cam end is forced down out of the hammer DA notch, releasing the hammer.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/21916-classic-line-pistols-how-they-work-animation.html

Edit to add, also, gun uncocked, push forward on the hammer, it should move forward against the spring pressure of the hammer reset spring. If there was a problem there, the hammer could be too far forward to allow the TB hook to engage the hammer DA cocking notch.

If the failure is in SA mode, please post back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
found it...but now what?

Is is a DA/SA gun, or SAO?

Remove the right side grip, on a DA/SA gun, the aft end of the trigger bar should be up against the extended right end of the hammer pivot pin.

Have a look at post #3 in the following URL. Note that the animation hasn't been updated with the Short Reset kit, but the action of the trigger bar and the trigger bar spring (trigger return spring) is the same. In DA, the TB spring keeps the TB "cam end up against the extended hammer pivot pin on the right side - be sure this pin does, in fact, extend and the cam is up against it. As the trigger is pulled, the TB hook is up in the hammer DA notch and cocks the hammer. As the TB moves forward, cocking the hammer, the TB cam end is forced down out of the hammer DA notch, releasing the hammer.

http://sigtalk.com/sig-sauer-pistols/21916-classic-line-pistols-how-they-work-animation.html

Edit to add, also, gun uncocked, push forward on the hammer, it should move forward against the spring pressure of the hammer reset spring. If there was a problem there, the hammer could be too far forward to allow the TB hook to engage the hammer DA cocking notch.

If the failure is in SA mode, please post back.

So looking at the action of this DA trigger. It appears the Trigger bar (when hammer is cocked back) does not go up against the safety lever. thus a little gap is present, so when the trigger is pulled, it does not push the safety lever forward enough to release the hammer.

馃帠USA Veteran
So looking at the action of this DA trigger. It appears the Trigger bar (when hammer is cocked back) does not go up against the safety lever. thus a little gap is present, so when the trigger is pulled, it does not push the safety lever forward enough to release the hammer.
We're going to need some pics I think; right side grip removed showing the trigger bar/hammer pivot pin/safety lever area with the hammer cocked and uncocked. Something like this:

Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

Banned
More than likely you need to adjust the trigger by the hex screw inside the frame. Once you get it set to where you like it (the trigger) then set the screw with lock-tite. Contact Bruce Gray at Gray Guns. He is very helpful.

馃帠USA Veteran
...when I pull the trigger (hammer back or not) the hammer doesn't release to hit the firing pin, it instead rides with the trigger back to its forward most position.
More than likely you need to adjust the trigger by the hex screw inside the frame. Once you get it set to where you like it (the trigger) then set the screw with lock-tite. Contact Bruce Gray at Gray Guns. He is very helpful.
I'm not seeing the connection between the OP's report of the hammer following the trigger and the trigger overtravel adjustment.

Banned
I'm not seeing the connection between the OP's report of the hammer following the trigger and the trigger overtravel adjustment.
I had a very similar problem with my P229 Legion, and it turned out to be the trigger adjustment. It could be something else, but it is something to at least consider.

Premium Member
I can see how an improperly adjusted over-travel adjustment screw could create the scenario the OP is reporting. If the trigger bar is prevented from traveling forward far enough by an improperly adjusted over-travel screw, it will not release the hammer, hence, the hammer will ride the trigger bar as the trigger is released.

ETA: My scenario would explain the DA portion of the trigger pull reported. Why this is happening in SA mode is something different, will have to ponder that a bit.

Premium Member
A little confused here. When the hammer is locked back, we are in SA mode, not DA mode. Earlier you said the hammer would follow the trigger forward in either DA or SA. By your description here, it sounds like the safety lever is not releasing the hammer in SA, the hammer should not be following the trigger forward. A bit of clarification would be helpful. Also, as ThnkFrst asked, pix of the action with the right grip panel removed would be helpful.

Banned
Agreed, it would be simple to eliminate it as a possibility by backing the overtravel adjustment off a bit. What was the problem that you experienced on your 229?
Initially it worked fine, but then the trigger would not drop the hammer no matter how hard I squeezed it. So I called Gray Guns and Bruce talked me through how to adjust it. So then I played with it adjusting from one end to the other investigating how it affected the trigger mechanism from one end to the other. It was very interesting to say the least. What I eventually did, by Bruce's advice, was to adjust the trigger all the way to where it rested against the rear trigger guard well, and depressing the trigger, with the hammer cocked, slowing turn the screw until the trigger would drop the hammer. A half turn past that point was perfect for me. Then I applied lock-tite blue at Bruce's advice and left it alone. Ran like a top.

馃帠USA Veteran
Yes, I can see the connection between the overtravel adjustment and the hammer failing to drop. It's the hammer following the trigger that seems to be the issue with the OP's pistol.

Sounds more like his issue is with the hammer pivot pin.

Banned
Could be, which is why I recommended contacting GG. They're a small outfit and very nice and helpful.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For all those wanting pictures. Here it is. First picture is hammer back.
Second picture is trigger fully pressed. There is no release of hammer at all after full surpression of trigger.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.