SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sig, I bet dollars to cops eating donuts that a remake of the P228 will sell well. Make the pistol as the original using the standard size magazine well. You can fit 15 rounds in the original magazine, as proven by the P365 magazine. Make the slide two piece with a breach block that has an internal extractor. Machine the slide (not stamped) to the same exterior and internal dimensions a the original formed slide, including the radiuses. Mill a flat from the front sight to the ejection port, the same as the original. Make what we desire instead of what you think we desire. Anyone have the same request?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have a M11-A1, it is not the same.
I have one as well. But for them marketing a gun close to the P228, that was it. Mine came with the P228 grips unlike the newer versions that have P229. But it's 15 rounds, and has all the new bells and whistles on it.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
75% of Sigs eggs are in the striker fired basket. Remember, military contracts are Very Lucrative.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I never said make the folded slide, I said machine the slide shell. Sorry I brought the subject up.

·
Registered
775 Posts
They could get close by using a p225a1 slide, using the short extractor, and lightening it to p228 weight. They won’t go back to the rolled slide of course but some form of lightened slide would work. It would sell.

While not as cool as in internal extractor look, it would be nice with a short extractor.

I think I’ve suggested it before and plenty of others before me. No more than 29oz please.;)

·
Registered
17,298 Posts
I never said make the folded slide, I said machine the slide shell. Sorry I brought the subject up.
Reread my original response (#2). I said most people would want the original design (i.e. folded slide). SIG already did a remake machined slide gun, and it wasn't super popular. Many were uber critcal of this "gimmick" gun. I doubt they would waste any time trying that again.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I don’t think you can recreate the perfect gun. The p225a1 is the closest in terms of feel. All Sig needed to do was utilize the original p228/229 9mm frame and a milled slide with short extractor/full length serrations like they did the p220/226. Oh well

·
Premium Member
9,711 Posts
For that matter, I'd like to see a remake of the original folded-steel slide, non-railed P226 as well...but most likely not going to happen. In the meantime, I bought a used original German P226 and P226 each for less than a new remake would sell for, so that covers it for me.

·
Registered
17,298 Posts
^^^^ Yep.

To the OP, there's tons of used P228's on the market. Pick the one you like and get to bidding.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Gee, and to think I just picked up a really nice little P228 that came into the shop. I put 50 rounds through it and it just shot knots.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I prefer the P229/M11-A1 WIDER magazine well.

The above option gives me 4 caliber options w/o changing/requiring a P228 Locking Insert.
(of which I have a NIBag spare P228 LI)

My 5each P229's/P229R's/M11-A1 in various configurations keep my NIB P228 content in the safe(s)

All 5 have the 4 caliber X-Change kits on location-.22LR,9x19,357SIG,40SW of which 1 each top end kit is working stock while the others are...guess...NIB.

Bases covered...

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Sig, I bet dollars to cops eating donuts that a remake of the P228 will sell well. Make the pistol as the original using the standard size magazine well. You can fit 15 rounds in the original magazine, as proven by the P365 magazine. Make the slide two piece with a breach block that has an internal extractor. Machine the slide (not stamped) to the same exterior and internal dimensions a the original formed slide, including the radiuses. Mill a flat from the front sight to the ejection port, the same as the original. Make what we desire instead of what you think we desire. Anyone have the same request?

I would LOVE to have a new P228. But only if it has the folded slide, made on the original jigs / fixtures, and assembled by the original craftsmen in Germany 🇩🇪. Not interested in anything from the USA that is assembled from a bunch of parts made by the lowest bidder in 3rd world countries around the globe 🌎.

Reactions: bblr

·
Registered
17,298 Posts
I would LOVE to have a new P228. But only if it has the folded slide, made on the original jigs / fixtures, and assembled by the original craftsmen in Germany 🇩🇪. Not interested in anything from the USA that is assembled from a bunch of parts made by the lowest bidder in 3rd world countries around the globe 🌎.
Amen to that. :)

·
Premium Member
9,711 Posts
Because think about it...the only real reason to want something like the older W German/German Sigs compared to what's available today is, for the most part, nostalgia. That's why I got the P226 and P228 pictured above, in addition the Legions, P320C and Stainless Elite P220 I have. Sure, I find them to be more elegant and perhaps more finely made, but it is and older design/construction that in the grand scheme of things doesn't really offer any advantages over the modern versions, from a manufacturing or application standpoint.

So if they made it a collector piece to specifically appeal to that nostalgia (which I don't dismiss at all), it will most likely be priced substantially above what the actual ones are worth these days, in addition to still being obtainable. Granted, by that reasoning why even make a M11A1 with modern construction, right? I guess that's a 'semi-collectible' like the MK25 since both are former military-issued models...but again, able to share much of their construction with the other guns. So in that respect they've got it all covered insofar as what makes business sense to them.

Personally, I got the aforementioned German P226 and P228 because they are the Sigs that I fell I love with and lusted after as a teen, whereas I do/assign more actual shooting to the more current Sigs in my stable. So unless the originals were priced a lot more than current guns, might as well find some good used originals, unless you're really looking for collector value.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've got a P228 from 1989 (JK) and its one of my favorites. Obviously W. German manufacture and I truly believe that neither Exeter nor Newington could duplicate it. They could make it look the same but it would never live up to an original
I've got a P228 from 1989 (JK) and its one of my favorites. Obviously W. German manufacture and I truly believe that neither Exeter nor Newington could duplicate it. They could make it look the same but it would never live up to an original

Attachments

Reactions: CatmanIsGod

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I'd take a P228 with a milled stainless steel slide if it had the short extractor with full-height serrations and was on a stainless steel frame. Then I could have my grail all stainless P228 and SIG could call it the P228 SL. 😃

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In 1993, I purchased a P228 DAO. There was no decocking lever and the hammer had the single action hooks ground off. The ground area was left unfinished. The pistol had a very smooth trigger pull that did not feel as heavy as the DA/SA pistols. I should have never sold that pistol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts