SIG Talk banner
  • Notice image

SigTalk is a forum community dedicated to SIG Sauer enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Sig Sauer pistols and rifles, optics, hunting, gunsmithing, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!

Sig Flip Up Sights problems?

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  KenBry 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a set of the Sig flip up iron sights, that (I think?) come with the Sig AR15s. I have a colt upper and a Midwest Industries M-Lok hand guard.

I took it out to the range today to sight it in. 50 yard Zero with 5 round groups. I had to slide the aperture a few detente clicks to the left, and its shooting left to right pretty dead on now. Only problem is, I couldn't get it to shoot high enough. Even with the front sight post dropped as low as it goes, I'm still shooting 6-8 inches low at 50 yards.

I checked and rechecked the hand guard alignment and sight alignment(in regards to mounting to the rail). Unfortunately, there is no elevation adjustment on the rear sight that I can use to get the extra adjustment I need.

Has anybody had this problem? I like everything els about the sights, material, function, design. But I really don't want to take a file to my front sight post to lower it enough to get the "pumpkin on a post" I'm looking for, and I would rather not put a riser on my backup rear sight. Might end up returning them.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So you have a rail on the hand guard at the same height as the rail on the upper?

If you aren't sure about the origin of the sights, it could be that the front sight was made taller for ARs that have a rail on the gas block that is lower than the rail on the upper. Such as the DPMS Oracle ARs. Sights for rifles like that have a taller front sight to compensate for the lower gas-block rail.

Here is a DPMS Oracle. See how much lower the rail is on the gas block, in comparison to the rail on the receiver?

In your case, it sounds like you need backup sights that are made to mount on rifles with the same rail heights, front and rear, and you have some for mounts such as the Oracle below.

#3 ·
You might also check your (head/eye/cheek) position. I found I altered my position which caused me to need to move the rear aperture way over. I was leaning over the stock. perhaps you're head is sitting "too" low, cheek weld too deep?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.