SIG Talk banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
The question Sig USA would have to answer is what is the USA market for a production P220/226 all steel 5" and 6" guns. If that were seen to be profitable then they might go after the X version sales. Craftsmanship is a separate issue.
Look what happened to the S&W 3rd generation all steel combat pistols. They were replaced by the M&P polymers. It took about 4 hours to forge the frame of a 3rd generation versus 45 minutes for polymer M&P frame. It's a matter of business reality of cost vs supply and demand. I doubt if Sig USA will pick up the lost business of all steel pistols now abandoned by Sig Germany.

Look at Sig USA's 2020 line-up in which they have eliminated all non-Legion 220's and 226's. We're talking aluminum frames, and is much cheaper to forge than steel.

A Sig USA all-steel pistol (competition or combat) is DOA.

·
Banned
909 Posts
Look what happened to the S&W 3rd generation all steel combat pistols. They were replaced by the M&P polymers. It took about 4 hours to forge the frame of a 3rd generation versus 45 minutes for polymer M&P frame. It's a matter of business reality of cost vs supply and demand. I doubt if Sig USA will pick up the lost business of all steel pistols now abandoned by Sig Germany.

Look at Sig USA's 2020 line-up in which they have eliminated all non-Legion 220's and 226's. We're talking aluminum frames, and is much cheaper to forge than steel.

A Sig USA all-steel pistol (competition or combat) is DOA.
1st all non Legion P226's have not been eliminated.

We are talking about two different markets, but we came to the same conclusion. There are many gunsmiths turning steel 1911's, Model 41's, Beretta 92's and others into Bullseye capable guns. The buyers are paying $2K or more after the new pistol purchase. There is a market, if Sig USA wants to play. As I said above I think the X's are dead. My main reason is that Sig is so deep into their military contracts and polymer guns that they do not have the capacity and most likely the interest to go there.

·
Registered
421 Posts
wow, what a sad turn of events for an iconic company.......
With a storied past, but is a victim of the leftist state it occupies. Make no mistake, HK is their next target.

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
Sig is in NH...HK is in GA...Glock is in GA...FNH is in SC...at least we aren’t dependent on the EU for these makes. I feel bad for the 130 employees...maybe we can get them to move to NH.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
A day or so ago I read that the mothership, L&O Holdings, may re-home Sig Germany under another one of their gun labels in Europe... Perhaps Swiss based Sig Sauer AG?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Such a shame. So much ridiculous govt. control over industries there.

And German bankruptcy laws generally treat a "pleite" (broke) company as if its basic business model can not succeed, unlike here, where Chapter 11 often can allow rescheduling of payments to creditors.

Czechvar:
Yes, I had also wondered whether Sig USA might accept some of the employees willing to relocate.

With the supposed new CZ plant in Little Rock (--but when?--), maybe they would accept some of them also.

·
Premium Member
10,460 Posts
NOT April Fools.....Sig bankrupt in Germany?

Back on 4/01/20 I posted a joke thread with a video claiming that Sig was bankrupt and bought out by Remington, of all folks. That was obviously a joke....

.....this apparently isn't, in Germany.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I’d not heard of this. Sad, very sad. The changes I see coming here in the good old US are not promising either unless we get out and VOTE in November!!!

·
Banned
1,923 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
This is sad news indeed. As the article mentions, the gun laws are getting more and more restrictive as well as difficult in Europe, failing military contracts...
It was already bad enough when SIG Neuhausen Switzerland closed its doors.
Strange though, one would always think that a quality product would always find end users easily. But it's true though, the gun laws are getting so restrictive lately in europe, it's terrible for the LGS, shooting clubs and the shooters. They want to disarm the people here, make it really difficult for them...
Hopefully the other sister companies from Sig will continue

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Would be nice if Sig USA buys all the remaining tooling and either relocate or bring it to the US. But Sig USA is just interested in making plastic guns.

Sig is an iconic hand gun but like any business it has to make money. I wish Sig USA would realize that their Iconic hand gun is what true shooters want. Just like Colt has gone back to making iconic revolvers. Hopefully sooner rather than later Sig USA will realize they can make both.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
I wish Sig USA would realize that their Iconic hand gun is what true shooters want. Just like Colt has gone back to making iconic revolvers. Hopefully sooner rather than later Sig USA will realize they can make both.
The problem is defining what a true-shooter is and whether one can make money appealing to the true-shooter. Big Business will always appeal to the masses and right now the masses want polymer where they can post pictures of their DIY upgrades. It has become where posting awesomely staged pictures with props and your P320 mods are more liked than a pic of a stacking bullets on target.

Most "true shooters" in the pistol arena are now tactical, and competitions are time-based- where bullseye accuracy and metallurgy take a back seat.

I've seen it in national rifle benchrest scene...the older guys stick with BR and the younger guys go PRS or F-Class. Us bench guys just get left behind and the "true-shooters" become PRS and F-Class guys.

The only timeless pistol arena is custom single-action revolvers. But I think there's only 3-4 custom revolver smiths left on the planet. And 2 of the 3 are backed up for several years. A buddy of mine has been waiting 4 years o a Dustin Linebaugh piece.

·
Registered
270 Posts
All part of the Leftist/UN plan to disarm the population.
HK cannot export complete military weapons for civilians.
HK therefore exports parts, design and has the restricted parts made in the USA.
We get older models with non HK design such as non-chrome lined barrels, supposedly ‘more accurate’ according to HK USA.
The UN wants to disarm all member nations population.
The USA is the only nation that has a Bill of Rights!
In all other Nations, the populace is subordinate to the Government.
Sad as German design, engineering and craftsmanship is some of the best in the World.
Increasingly I find myself looking to German manufactured products.
Automobiles, kitchen water treatment (Grohe), cameras(Leica) optical products(LEICA) Schmidt & Bender and the list goes on.
-Richard

·
Registered
13 Posts
If Sig US wants to produce the same or even better quality than the Germans the can, but that costs money and profits rule the day. Make no mistake if there’s a market for any product someone will fill that void. It’s all about the money.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The European and US operations are separate and have been for years. They sold off the sig operations for a dollar when it was on the verge of going bankrupt and could not find a buyer. Sig US operations are privately owned by Michael Lüke and Thomas Ortmeier in the early 90's.
...and the US corporation is doing very well. No issues here.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Probably depends on what you want to do with the gun.

If you ever want to shoot in Standard or Open division you could modify an Allround for that purpose, using Sig parts.

I'm just trying to figure out what parts are most likely to break. Obviously the extractor is one but I wonder about wear and tear on the slide stop for example.

If you're one of those who have done very little to your gun but may want to, you may want to look into getting an srt-kit, grip plates, an extended mag release and/or a "Supermatch" takedown lever.
I can't think any other parts...
Maybe the trigger bar and the sear?
I know the sear face towards hammer is a bit fragile.....

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

41 - 60 of 74 Posts