SIG Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an M11-A1, and I'm debating on taking advantage of the Sig Custom Shop Father's Day special for the AEP. I'm also debating on having the custom shop nickel plate the controls.

Has anyone had this done recently, and if so what are your thoughts on the quality of the nickel plating? Also, because this will be a carry gun when I get it back, how well does the nickel hold up to holster wear?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
You used to be able to buy the controls already nickel plated. If I was going to use it for carry I might opt for hard chrome instead. It's a little more durable. If you go that route APW Cogan is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
My P220 Carry Equinox has been my usual daily carry since 2010 and the nickel controls still look almost NIB.

The lower left nickel grip screw which contacts my body during carry has blackened and worn down however.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
14,018 Posts
Reactions: ronin11

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies.

I've actually considered ordering the parts myself as this would be the most cost effective, and a member here did offer to sell me a set at a very nice price, but after watching a few youtube videos, I'm concerned that detail stripping the frame might be beyond my technical skill. To anyone that's done this in the past, how difficult is this, particularly removing and reinstalling the hammer.

·
Registered
552 Posts

I've actually considered ordering the parts myself as this would be the most cost effective, and a member here did offer to sell me a set at a very nice price, but after watching a few youtube videos, I'm concerned that detail stripping the frame might be beyond my technical skill. To anyone that's done this in the past, how difficult is this, particularly removing and reinstalling the hammer.
It's not hard at all. At first it may be tricky, but you will learn so much about your pistol in the process.

When i disassemble a Pistol for plating or cerakote that i never done before, I remove one part, position it next to the frame in the same orientation that it was in and snap a picture with my phone or camera. Then continue till completely dissembled. Refer to photos in reverse to re assemble.

Also, set a big cardboard box on the table and remove any spring loaded parts or detents in the box so you not crawling on your hands and knees with a flashlight for 2 hours looking for a something you never actually saw hit the wall behind you.

·
Registered
720 Posts

It's not that bad. With all the youtube self help videos it's not that difficult. I just had one apart this evening and I can pull the hammer and reinstall in less then 20 mins.

Technically you don't have to detail strip it to install the hammer. You can leave the sear in during a hammer replacement.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
You can also check out the sticky in the pistols sub forum >> Classic Line Pistols - How they work in animation. Those animations are from the SIG Armorer CDs and are very helpful when you want to strip your P-series pistol down to the bare frame. It tells you step by step how to disassemble and assemble the gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.