SIG Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I know that the main reasons to reducing trigger pull is through polishing and replacing the mainspring. While I do understand as to why those are necessary, I'm curious as to why changing the sear spring is not a popular choice.

Looking at how it functions, the sear spring pushes the sear to hold against the hammer hook. The trigger bar, at least in an SRT trigger, pulls and trips the sear, with the main spring acting upon the sear to stay in place being the sear spring. I do understand that, given the contours of the engagement angle, the sear slightly pushes the hammer down to help the release the contact, hence, the reason as to why the mainspring contributes to trigger pull even in SA mode.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,514 Posts
The sear spring puts relatively light pressure on the sear and in terms of all the contributors to total trigger pull weight, it's a very minor contributor.

More importantly IMO, consistent sear-to-hammer engagement is an absolute must for safe reliable pistol function. I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Resident Armorer Premium Member
11,308 Posts
Just as ThnkFrst said, the sear springs only real purpose is to keep the sear engaged with the hammer's single action notch, from general handling, until the trigger is pulled. It probably doesn't amount to an ounce of the trigger pull. Nothing you could doubtfully "feel", I imagine...

Gray Guns has a "lighter" tensioned Sear Spring available, but some use the Sear Spring from a DAK, which is basically similar, slightly lighter tensioned then the OEM. Some people just bend the leg of the OEM spring where it engages the Sear Spring Pin, to reduce tension.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sear spring puts relatively light pressure on the sear and in terms of all the contributors to total trigger pull weight, it's a very minor contributor.

More importantly IMO, consistent sear-to-hammer engagement is an absolute must for safe reliable pistol function. I wouldn't mess with it.
Just as ThnkFrst said, the sear springs only real purpose is to keep the sear engaged with the hammer's single action notch, from general handling, until the trigger is pulled. It probably doesn't amount to an ounce of the trigger pull. Nothing you could doubtfully "feel", I imagine...

Gray Guns has a "lighter" tensioned Sear Spring available, but some use the Sear Spring from a DAK, which is basically similar, slightly lighter tensioned then the OEM. Some people just bend the leg of the OEM spring where it engages the Sear Spring Pin, to reduce tension.
Just wanted to clarify whether or not it had any substantial weight added to the pull. Does anyone even ever measure those springs tension?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts