SIG Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· 🎖USA Veteran
3,087 Posts
Your handle seems applicable. You wanted to see pictures but failed to show pictures of your dreamy pistols. That's not very considerate. :(

I am messing with you, and you are messing with us. Lets see the pics.

I would show pics, but I bought all of mine built Sig tuff.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your handle seems applicable. You wanted to see pictures but failed to show pictures of your dreamy pistols. That's not very considerate. :(

I am messing with you, and you are messing with us. Lets see the pics.

I would show pics, but I bought all of mine built Sig tuff.
lol I'm actually trying to figure out how!!!

· 🎖USA Veteran
3,087 Posts
That's rather neat. I am not sure what I am looking at. It looks like the slide is factory, but maybe the frame has been built or whatever the correct term.

Please tell me how and what you did. What equipment did you require?

· Resident Armorer Premium Member
15,467 Posts
Anybody here other than me build? I've built 2 P228s and damn they're dreamy. Pics?
After looking over your accomplishment, congratulations are in order. By the same token, though, you could have gotten a used LE Trade-in for less, and had an anodized frame.
My next comments will probably raise some hackles, but... I realize using these "kits" negate any "record" of the firearm. In some circles, this could be a huge advantage... unfortunately it would be namely for someone not legally eligible to possess a firearm. As many on the "Left" are beating their warning drums in the media, to sway public opinion, against these 80% kits, while their current focus is on the "AR", they probably aren't fully aware of the pistol receivers yet!

· Registered
1,626 Posts
The one advantage I see with a bare frame is that you can have it anodized after you finished it. If you know in advance how thick the anodized layer will be you can take that info into consideration when cutting the rails and drilling the holes.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked at your album. I'm curious why you didn't use the anodized frames instead?
At the time I bought the frame he wasn't offering them anodized. Like you said later though, it'd be better to anodize after cutting the rails. I planned to have the whole gun cerakoted anyhow. I did buy another frame last week, the anodized one without the accessory rail to be more true to the original 228. I know for a short time Sig did have a 228R but why not just have a 229...which I already own...

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's rather neat. I am not sure what I am looking at. It looks like the slide is factory, but maybe the frame has been built or whatever the correct term.

Please tell me how and what you did. What equipment did you require?
It did it take much...most of the expensive part is the jig from Matrix listed towards the bottom of the thread. Other than that a couple small punches and a drill press and I was done, 2 hour build tops. To answer your other question, the only part not Sig Sauer is the frame but David out at Matrix puts out a very good quality 80%. Dropped in a SRT kit and relamped the original trijicon night sights.

· Registered
9,114 Posts
As I hinted at in the other thread, it is an interesting approach. Though IMO, especially with the relatively large number of ex-LEO's on the market or soon to be, which situation has been a continuing saga over the last several years, completing an 80% SIG frame in almost all cases will cost more than buying a nice used one.

If you already have the tooling and jigs:

Frame (80% from Matrix) - $275
Parts kit (P228 used, everything but the frame, carbon steel slide) - $300 (from Matrix)*

Okay, we are already at $575. That does not include finishing for the frame, which IMO should be hard anodized, either to provide a durable final finish or an undercoat for topcoating as SIG does with PVD on the Legions) if Ceracoat or others are to be appied. The hard anodizing provides a durable wear surface for the slide rails that will not be had with most surface coatings alone.

Bottom line, if it's the "build" and process that's the draw, or even having an no serial gun, then one cannot dispute whatever value that imparts. But if you add in the tools needed, costs get right up to parity with buying a brand new SIG, let alone one of the superb ex-LEOs, of which I have two. (one cost $449 shipped, the other was FTF for an off duty P229 40 near new, with extra SIG 357 barrel, 5 magazines and a couple of hundred rounds for $600 - I was gonna offer him less, but didn't have the heart).

*I've seen the full P228 parts kit go for $128 from CDNN (I got two of them, and should have bought more!) to some guy asking $450 on ebay - - so how do you sell a P228 no frame parts kit for more than the price of a whole gun?

· Registered
15 Posts
I would say the main draw is the do-it-yourself aspect. There are also states where you can't get an LE trade-in for the same price or maybe not be able to buy it at all from a dealer (as in the approved gun list in CA). There is probably some appeal to not having a serial number for some people, too.

As far as the anti-gun nuts being against building your own gun, they would have to pass a state law or amend federal law since building your own firearm is expressly permitted by federal law. California is well on its way to outlawing home builds with a number of gun laws passed last year regarding home builds and serialization. So, if you're in California, get 'em while they're hot!

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I hinted at in the other thread, it is an interesting approach. Though IMO, especially with the relatively large number of ex-LEO's on the market or soon to be, which situation has been a continuing saga over the last several years, completing an 80% SIG frame in almost all cases will cost more than buying a nice used one.

If you already have the tooling and jigs:

Frame (80% from Matrix) - $275
Parts kit (P228 used, everything but the frame, carbon steel slide) - $300 (from Matrix)*

Okay, we are already at $575. That does not include finishing for the frame, which IMO should be hard anodized, either to provide a durable final finish or an undercoat for topcoating as SIG does with PVD on the Legions) if Ceracoat or others are to be appied. The hard anodizing provides a durable wear surface for the slide rails that will not be had with most surface coatings alone.

Bottom line, if it's the "build" and process that's the draw, or even having an no serial gun, then one cannot dispute whatever value that imparts. But if you add in the tools needed, costs get right up to parity with buying a brand new SIG, let alone one of the superb ex-LEOs, of which I have two. (one cost $449 shipped, the other was FTF for an off duty P229 40 near new, with extra SIG 357 barrel, 5 magazines and a couple of hundred rounds for $600 - I was gonna offer him less, but didn't have the heart).

*I've seen the full P228 parts kit go for $128 from CDNN (I got two of them, and should have bought more!) to some guy asking $450 on ebay - - so how do you sell a P228 no frame parts kit for more than the price of a whole gun?
For me it's about the build and the satisfaction of watching something come together. I've been building different firearms for years and helping people with their different build projects..my tools have paid for themselves plus. I paid the same as you for the kits so in actuality...kit $129 + free shipping + frame $275 - mil disc = great deal no matter how you cut it plus...I BUILT IT! Lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.