SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just noticed that the P229 page on Sig's site says the finish is PVD. Again. Not sure if it's just a mistake or they actually made the switch back. Anyone?

edit: Just looked even close at the page. In the Feature list is states PVD finish.

Frame Finish PVD

But below that in the Feature pictures it describes it as Cerakote.

Cerakote® Elite Legion Gray Coated slide and frame

The Cerakote® Elite finish delivers industry leading performance in hardness, abrasion resistance and lubricity.

I think the first mention is a mistake

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yep. I wouldn’t place much reliance on those descriptions. Given their brevity, you’d think it’d be easy to make them accurate. But...

Last time I looked, my 220 SAO Legion was described as having a M1913 rail (versus its Sig-proprietary rail).

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think the info you're seeing on the Sig site is outdated. Sig Legions went from PVD to Cerakote back in Feb 2019.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. I wouldn’t place much reliance on those descriptions. Given their brevity, you’d think it’d be easy to make them accurate. But...

Last time I looked, my 220 SAO Legion was described as having a M1913 rail (versus its Sig-proprietary rail).
I think the info you're seeing on the Sig site is outdated. Sig Legions went from PVD to Cerakote back in Feb 2019.
This is what I figured, I've seen other mistakes on their site that prevent me from take anything there that seems to be contradictory at face value. I was asking because someone on another board was wondering about the finish and I didn't want to just direct them to the site without being 100% sure myself that the info on it was completely accurate. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
161 Posts
You can contact Ryan Gagneux from Sig Legion to confirm.....

·
Registered
695 Posts
Any confirmation from Sig?

I was just looking at their site and I now see those odd listings within the Legion family. Under Specs, 226's listed with PVD as the finish versus that of the 220's that indicate "Legion Gray". Also, I only see RX 226 Legions (i.e. described as having Romeo1) rather than the RXP SKU for the R1 Pro version, which is in retailers' inventory. Those RX Legions also specify PVD in the Specs. I didn't look at the 229s.

As noted in my earlier post, I don't bet my life on these Specs and the accompanying description still mentions Cerakote. But I do wonder if they've resurrected a supply PVD-finished 226's while they try to keep up with higher demand during the shutdown, etc.?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Anyone having finish problems with the ceracote? This is the only thing holding me back from buying another legion. Ive heard horror stories and experienced. And for the price I want none of it. But if its better..........???

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No issues with mine. I like the color. And the finish appears to be well applied.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I was a big fan of the PVD and now the latest ceracoat is even better. Yes, on the rails the next layer starts showing but that seems to be black nitron underneath, no gold or silver tones at all. I think this is going to wear well and better than anodize/PVD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Never was the biggest fan of Cerakote, but Cerakote Elite is good stuff.

I hate the greenish grey, but I'll take this over the crappy grey PVD on the earlier Legions.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ionbond is still in Portsmouth and may do some special runs from time to time. But nothing heard from a switch back.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
I have a P226 Legion with the dark green Cerakote Elite finish ..... so far no problems with finish wear.

Found a new P220 Legion on GB, with a Cerakote Elite finish in Legion Gray. Here is the link ..... the last pic shows the build date. Not sure if all the new Legions will have this ...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/871835674

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm really amazed at the different variations in color, from dark green all the way to true gray and lots of in betweens described by owners. How hard is it to get the same color in different batches? Apparently pretty darn hard. Mine are gray. Glad of that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if any of you have noticed but there also seem to be variations of the grip design. Both myself and friend have P226 da/sa legions. The G-10 on mine is more rounded at the top of the pattern while his is visibly squared off. Mine is slightly newer so wondering if that is a newer variation and neither of us have the original grey PVD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my P226 Legion with the date on the case showing Dec 2019.

I just purchased and received last week a "Caliber X-Change" kit with the Romeo 1 mounted on the slide which as you can see from the picture has been installed.

The color match between the new slide and the rest of the pistol is spot on.

The color to me has always appeared to have a greenish hue to it, but that's just my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had older (first gen, I guess?) Legions, & just picked up a P229 SAO. I prefer the new finish, doesn't wear as easy as before. Had the earlier finishes wear off with a stern look. 😔

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I have a 229 PVD and a 226 Cerakote. Not see any unusual wear on either. The finish on both is gray, no hint of green on either. Outstanding pistols, esp. the 226 SAO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts