SIG Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
P229 9mm I bought on GB... got her home and saw she was in bad shape. I imagine that the previous owner sold it because "it wouldn't cycle anymore". Frame and slide were filled with copious amounts of lube, carbon and sand. Recoil spring was absolutely shot.

The extractor was so caked with carbon that there's no way it'd pull empty brass out of the chamber.

Ordered parts, completely took down the frame and slide, stripped everything of all **** and lube, and lubed and reassembled her to good as new.

Sure, I could have sent it to SIG for a rebuild, but I thoroughly enjoyed doing it myself. Much more satisfaction and much quicker as well!

-BC

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts

·
Registered
55,927 Posts
a very nice transformation, congratulations.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Very nicely done. Aside from the springs, pretty much all internal parts can be cleaned up and often work even smoother than new simply due to the polish of long term use.

I just rebuilt a P228 with all "experienced" parts and it feels smoother than my fresh M11-A1.

·
Premium Member
12,023 Posts
Very nicely done. Aside from the springs, pretty much all internal parts can be cleaned up and often work even smoother than new simply due to the polish of long term use.

I just rebuilt a P228 with all "experienced" parts and it feels smoother than my fresh M11-A1.
Agreed...my older P229 frame with the original long strut/spring is super-smooth. The nicest trigger of all my Sigs.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That person should not be allowed to have guns!! Give them all to us, we will take care of the poor things!

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
And with all that abuse, look at how new the frame's slide rails are! Well made gun.

Congrats, BC!

Reactions: winterwar

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Agreed...my older P229 frame with the original long strut/spring is super-smooth. The nicest trigger of all my Sigs.
I have to admit - the trigger on this one is smoother than my 229 .40 that I bought brand new!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts