SIG Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the dumb questions. About the P938.

Is there any good "sight" for this gun.

Are there any Sig made or other after market modifications for making the trigger pull less than 10 pounds, preferably between about 5 and 7 pounds?

Thanks in advance.

Same questions for the 238.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I can't answer for the sights, but do a search and you'll find everything you could want to know about getting a better trigger on a P938.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, would love to know about sights. Also whether there's a gunsmith who could modify a Sig sight for another gun to fit this one. Preferably in Massachusetts.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
One of the many things to love about the P938, is it comes with nice sights, most models using SIG's Tritium nite sights. Most sights for the P series X-rays, Trijicon HDs etc, should fit as well, though for the ranges the gun would be normally used at and beyond, the stock sights seem just fine for me. If you change sights, note the numbers on your stock sights, "normal" for the P938 is #6 front and #8 rear.

As to action work and trigger pull reduction, SIG won't do that on the P938, but they will adjust it if it's out of spec I think (supposed to be 7.5 to 8.5 lbs). TheSigArmorer, will work on them, as I'm sure others will too.

I've written a number of posts re gunsmithing these guns you can google (P938, trigger, bumper) or add SigTalk to the search.

If your P938 is within pull spec, then it can be reduced further to around 5.5 lbs or so, by modifying the sear/ejector spring. You could insert the word "easy" in there somewhere, but the P938 is not as easy as the bigger SIG's to field strip IMO - or maybe I'm just klutzy. Edit - should have said detail strip, field stripping is easy once you get the hang of it, reassembling after a detail strip - I've done it 20 times, not bad, but not easy either.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am somewhat picky about sights, but the SIGLITE tritium sights on the 938 Extreme I have are just fine. After shooting about 100 rounds, my trigger finger was telling me to send this gun out for some trigger work. The trigger itself will make you want to quit shooting after about 25 rounds - the serrations on the face of the trigger are sharp and irritate the heck out of your finger. I sent my P938 to the SIG Armorer for a trigger job and to have a Cylinder & Slide ambi. safety fitted. The turnaround time was exceptional, as was the work. The trigger is really, really nice, now. It breaks cleanly, and he takes the sharp edges off of the serrations; making the gun comfortable to shoot. (I am a 1911 snob, as well, and have a safe full of custom and semi-custom 1911s, so can speak about triggers).

My P938 is a tack-driver. I would leave the factory sights alone and send your pistola off to The SIG Armorer. Get a pocket holster from Pocket Concealment Systems, along with a magazine pouch for the other pocket, and you will be GTG for very discreet casual carry or a BUG. (I have to check to see if Mike can make a pocket-carry double magazine pouch for P938 magazines...)

Regards,
Skyviking

·
Premium Member
7,598 Posts
Greetings and welcome to SigTalk from Alaska.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Welcome to our forum.

Fullsize SIG Sauers and classic USGI 1911s have always been among my favourite guns; I never stop learning, and after almost 38 years of guns-ownership I still enjoy shooting my own reloadings at least twice a week.
This is one of the best gun forums among the several I belong to, hope you'll enjoy your time here.

Happy Easter.
Shoot safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Still looking for a recommendation for a sight for the Sig 938 (or 238) other than the factory sight which I understand is very good. But, my purpose is to have a sight that is "better" than the factory sight if there is such a thing.

Ultimately want to be able to become so proficient shooting the 938 accurately that can hit a target dead center at least 100 feet away. I'm assuming this is almost impossible without a really good sight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Question about "electro optic" sight, like this one:

Does a sight like this improve accuracy or use of the P938? If so, why. Or why not?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I like Sig night sights. They are fine for shooting accurately. So can't help there.

10# trigger pull seems awfully high. Is that what they mean when guns are listed as "Mass Compliant"? Mine was fine but I wanted the straight trigger from Galloway Precision. I also ordered their hammer spring at the same time. The trigger is a good deal lighter and very nice. I really like the flat trigger as well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
My 938 trigger measured at 13#; an expert honed the sear, now 3.5# and I like the night sights that it came with. Shoots accurately which for me says a bunch about the pistol.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is your P938 a 10# trigger because of being a Mass model? Most P938 triggers are around 7.5 stock. As mentioned above the Sig Armorer may be able to smooth/polish the trigger to lighten the pull but I'm not sure by how much.

As far as sites, they really are a personal preference so getting opinions on which will improve accuracy may not help. Through Ameriglo and XS Dot, you can get P938 sights.

As far as RMR sights like above, a lot of people do say that they help with accuracy, but I don't have any personal experience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like the sight setup on mine. Being the Equinox model it has fiber optic front sights with more traditional night sights in rear. Really works well for me, that combo is my favorite in any gun.

As for the trigger pull I never looked at adjusting it. I am one to keep things as they come when its a carry pistol.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Unless you cannot see iron sights, even with glasses, putting a dot sight on a P938 defeats the purpose of the pistol. May as well carry a bigger pistol and dress around it. Just the expense of machining the slide (if at all possible) to accommodate the dot sight makes it really cost ineffective.

·
Registered
8,405 Posts
What Skyviking said . . . also, the P938 slide is narrower than most all compact and bigger guns. The reflex sight would be hanging out on each side like the flying bridge on a frigate. Not good.

I'd use the gun first, you will probably find that at the ranges you mention, and even more, the stock sights are fine. TheSigArmorer (who I always recommend for action work) used to have a video up with the little gun smacking a steel going at 140 yards (missed the first shot and got it the second round).

I replaced the stock SIG lite sights on with Trijicon HD on a couple of P229's. The big front dot makes for quick acquisition, similar in that regard to the SIG X-Ray sights as used on the Legion. The boldness of the front sight makes it easy to focus on that, as one should in combat/defensive shooting. But, for punching holes in paper, at least for me, group sizes are not as easy to pull down in size as they are with stock sights (this may be due to the slightly wider front blade - they have just come out with a thinner version).

So, shoot it first, forget about the red dot reflex for now (or at least until they come out with one that's not much bigger than your back sight :)

good shooting and welcome to the forum.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts