SIG Talk banner

SIG 716 Rifle - Ammo Choice - Please provide input

80622 40
Recently acquired a Sig 716 and I love it. I wanted to go to the range, but couldn't find any 7.62x51 ammo in town. I called Sig and they assured me that shooting .308 is fine. I know there are subtle differences between the two (pressure, casing length, etc)

I know this has been brought up frequently elsewhere and there are varying opinions, however, what is your input on safely shooting .308 out of this rifle? Is Sig customer service correct in telling me this?

Nowhere does it state don't shoot .308 in the manual or documentation, however, nowhere does it say you can shoot .308. I saw a few press releases that referred to the rifle as 7.62/.308.

I know a failure is unlikely, however, I want to keep my gun/face in tact. :eek:
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
710 Posts
I know this has been brought up frequently elsewhere and there are varying opinions, however, what is your input on safely shooting .308 out of this rifle? Is Sig customer service correct in telling me this?
There should be no issues shooting .308 out of a 7.62 chamber. It is probably advisable not to shoot 7.62 out of a .308 chamber though due to the higher pressures.

It is the same with 5.56 and .223. you can shoot .223 out of a 5.56 but you would not want to do that in reverse.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There should be no issues shooting .308 out of a 7.62 chamber. It is probably advisable not to shoot 7.62 out of a .308 chamber though due to the higher pressures.

It is the same with 5.56 and .223. you can shoot .223 out of a 5.56 but you would not want to do that in reverse.
Supposedly it is opposite with .308/7.62

From what I have gathered pressure on .308 is around 60,000 PSI and the casing is thinner. 7.62x51 is around 50,000 PSI because the casing is thicker (milspec for auto rifles).

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a 716 and have shot both 7.62 and 308 without any problems. Not a single misfeed after a few hundred rounds mostly 308 Hornady Steel Match. Love the power difference from my 516 pistol and the long range accuracy and tight groups. Hope it helps!

· Registered
1,290 Posts
I want a 7.62x54R upper.. RAWR

· Registered
11 Posts
.308 ftf

I took my new 716 to an indoor range to sight it in 10 days ago. I had 300 rounds of brand new, American Eagle .308 150 gr ammo. The rifle would not fire more than two in a row, although it ejected the empty case all but one time. It was not stripping a new cartridge from the magazine. I tried 3, brand new magazines, never more than 5 rounds at a time - same results; after about 30 rounds I packed it in and called SIG. The guy gave me a semi-hard time about using 150 gr ammo but agreed to send a return label, which he did by email. I have not sent the rifle back yet as explained below.

After I talked to the SIG rep, I decided to try 7.62 ammo and went right back to the range (I had stopped nearby to call SIG), bought some American Eagle M1A 7.62 168 gr and Winchester 7.62 147 gr and put another 40 rounds through the rifle. Not one Failure to Feed or Eject with either brand of 7.62.

So, I ordered 200 rounds of Federal 7.62 149 gr and I am going to try that today. I will of course try a few more rounds of the AE 150 gr today after I try the Federal 149 gr. However, if just the bullet weight was the main factor the Winchester 147 would not have worked either - so we shall see and I will report on the results.

Any thoughts on the .308 150 gr? I would like to hear from others as to what ammo they have tried and what the results have been.

· Registered
2 Posts
If you look carefully in the manual there is one sentence that says the 716 fires 308. It is not easy to find. In any case my first experience was firing 80 rounds of surplus 7.62 x 51, every round was flawless with very low recoil. I then fired 20 rounds of black hills .308 with the same success. If you don't believe me LOOK at PG21 in the manual. Hi from the new guy!

· Registered
1 Posts
I have the same ammo problems with my 716. Tried Winchester 147gr, Federal 175gr Gold metal both 7.62X51. Niether would cycle and the 147gr would not eject unless the piston was set to position 2. Went back out the next day after cleaning and an operation check with 3 other kinds of ammo. Fedal American Eagle 150gr .308 would not cycle. Remington 168gr .308 Match would not cycle. Hornady 168gr .308 Tap would cycle 6 rounds then stop. I'm calling Sig tomarrow and hope they will sort this out. Before the hate mail starts I'm not a Sig basher, I love each and every Sig I've got, 9 total so far. However, there seems to be a problem with the last batch of 716s produced. I'm certain that Sig will address this problem making all customers happy.

· Registered
154 Posts
I have the same ammo problems with my 716. Tried Winchester 147gr, Federal 175gr Gold metal both 7.62X51. Niether would cycle and the 147gr would not eject unless the piston was set to position 2. Went back out the next day after cleaning and an operation check with 3 other kinds of ammo. Fedal American Eagle 150gr .308 would not cycle. Remington 168gr .308 Match would not cycle. Hornady 168gr .308 Tap would cycle 6 rounds then stop. I'm calling Sig tomarrow and hope they will sort this out. Before the hate mail starts I'm not a Sig basher, I love each and every Sig I've got, 9 total so far. However, there seems to be a problem with the last batch of 716s produced. I'm certain that Sig will address this problem making all customers happy.
Good luck, please let us know how it goes. I have yet taken mine to the range and am hoping it goes well when I do.

· Registered
1 Posts
New here,

I also recently bought a new 716 and experienced the same problems mentioned above. However, In my research I've heard and read that brand new guns that are built to tight tolerances sometimes have a break in period. I was about to send the gun back but decided to put another 100 rounds or so through the gun. I also tore it completely apart, cleaned it, and lubed up the bolt real well. The rifle has now been cycling the cheaper ammo without a problem. When before it would jam after every shot.

Another gun guru I was talking to indicated that he thought I may have to get 300rounds through the gun before it would be properly broken in. The new gun just may be tight.

Just thought I would share.

· Registered
45 Posts
Just got my 716 last week. Took it to the local indoor 25 yd range, didn't accomplish much as far a zero, but after reading this post, I bought 5 diffrent types of ammo to see if I would have the same issues. So after shooting everything from Georgia Arms reloads to federal to match grade, all fired without a hitch. About 100 rounds through it and no problems at all. The rifle and every round I fired are more accurate than I am. I am by no means an expert. This is my first rifle, other than the ones uncle sam issued me for the last 16 years. However, my opinion is that the fit and finish are amazing. I don't know if it is the quality of manufacture or the spring that takes up the slack between the upper and lower, but I am very impressed. It has been 16 years since the Parris Island rifle range, but between my time as an 0351 for the Marine Corps, and my years as a pilot for the Army this weapon seemed so much better designed and put together than any M16, M4, M60, SAW, 240G/B, MK 19, M9 that I have ever handled. M2 is timeless and doesn't count. Heck I even like it better than German G36 I got to play with my last trip to the land of tall deserts. If you are thinking about buying this rifle, get it.

If you own this rifle and happen to have a favorite round, let me know what it is. I am trying to stick with 168 gr, because when I get around to putting a scope on this rifle, I am leaning to the Nikon M308 which is matched to a 168 gr round. If you have any advice on another scope that isn't too expensive, the advice would be appreciated.

p.s.
I did clean it before it I fired it. Nothing special, just a normal post field cleaning, prior to firing.

· Registered
2 Posts
Target Master:

Sorry new to forums and dont know the quote function.

Pos 2 is standard fire, that is where the gun should normally be. That is why you were having issues. Pos 1 is for surpressed. Pos 3 is for extream conditions(fouled ect)

Each hole slighly larger than the next, pos 1 is the smallest used for supressed fire due to the lingering pressures in the bore from the supressor at the end.

· Registered
2 Posts
EDIT:
the Pos size and numbers in the book do not match the Pos dots on the valve.

from smallest to biggest they go 3 1 2...I was using the pos order of size, not sigs designation.

Sig does 1(medium) as normal, 2 as (large) adverse conditions, 3 (small) suppressed

· Registered
3 Posts
Recently purchased a 716, fired 40 rds (all the store had left was 2 boxes) of 150gr AE. thru four different pmags (5 rds/each) then 10 & 10 through two C-products stainless steel mags; had multiple FTF and FTE issues. My error was taking it directly to my range and shooting it straight out of the box. In retrospect, should have lubed it somewhat first. I just figured it would run like my BCM/Colt/DD AR's. I was wrong. Unable to shoot it again till next week due to travel commitments, but will apply liberal amounts od froglube prior to firing it ! Hopefully all will go well, if not, it will be traded for an LMT !
The only other sigs I own are 229/226 pistols, and a 239 (personal favorite) and never had an issue with those. This is my first SIG rifle.
Also, did not realize the 716 may require a 'break in' period, which I think is a bit absurd.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.