SIG Talk banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ladies and Gents, I mainly joined this forum for one reason. That is to confirm the legality of the Sig 556 (classic and swat) folders. Many, including myself, have searched and searched, read and read, hoped and prayed that they could own or possess this rifle in the state of Michigan. You can. This document, provided by the Michigan State Police website, provides the answer- http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf . On page 141 it defines a pistol as a firearm under 30 inches in length (750.222e), and on page 142 it defines a SBR as a rifle having one or more barrels under 16 inches of length and overall length (with stocks collapsed and/or folded) of less than 26 inches (750.222k). This would classify the Sig 556, with a folding stock, a pistol in the state of Michigan. The sig website claims length to be at 27.1 inches in length (customer service says 26.1").

The reason I post this is I had my rifle sent from Texas to Michigan late last year only it to arrive and be sent right back because they considered it a sbr. I'm not mad at the clerk, he was inproperly trained. He measured from 'under' the flash hider to the end of the rifle (stock folded of course) making the overall length slightly under 26 inches. This is a good practice for them to be wary, but had I known any better I would've let him know that Sig solders their flash hiders onto these rifles as to be a legal part/extension of the barrel (Michigan and other states require them to be pinned or welded to be counted as part of the length of the firearm). The hot temper soldering requires heating the barrel to an extreme degree, use of a torque wrench, and a solid barrel vice to remove it (safely). So, it isn't going anywhere. I personally have contacted Sig and MSP about this issue and am getting the rifle shipped here tomorrow (April 23rd, 2012). I will keep updating as things happen.

If the link doesn't work above, go to the Michigan State Police wesite and click on the Firearms tab on the left, that will load the pdf.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Michigan Sig 556 legal as a rifle?

I bought the Sig556 Swat Patrol Rifle and was told it had to registered as a pistol at my FFL dealer Double Action, in Michigan, today. Anything I can do to prove this is legal as a rifle for registration here in Michigan?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts